Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2014, 04:12 PM

Default Case 650k dozer

Looking at buying a used one for around the farm anybody run one or own one, this particular one has 6000 hrs 80 percent undercarriage looks to be in pretty good shape, just looking for opinions if it's a good machine or not. There asking $40,000 for it
Old 05-13-2014, 04:20 PM

was it just bought from ritchies auction last sale ?
Old 05-13-2014, 04:40 PM

Aren't those cats a little small. I think they're about a d3 size. At least you'll be able to get it unstuck with your quad.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Gone Hunting

I've used them some.

We found the ones we had to be reliable and powerful for their size.

We had a 650 and a 350, both older compared to what you are looking at I'm sure.

No doubt they won't do the work of a D6 but they weren't meant to.
They were built for light earth moving and as far as we could tell they do that job very well.

I'm no expert but my information suggests that they should go around 10,000 hours before needing an overhaul, if they were properly maintained and not abused.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-13-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fickell View Post
was it just bought from ritchies auction last sale ?
Nope,why do you ask
Old 05-13-2014, 06:33 PM

I ran one for about a year. I found it to be reliable. The one I ran was equipped with a 3 tooth ripper and the only thing that would stop it was frost and electrical cables.

Its slightly too heavy to haul with a new model 1 ton drw, so if your looking for something in a size that you can move around I would find something smaller.

Additionally - if you are servicing yourself nothing about the machine is light duty. You may find that even your farm shop doesn't have the tools & equipment big enough to work on it. Consider servicing costs into the purchase price.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:21 PM

Is the case 650 the same size as a jd 450? Ripper or winch?
I don't know what kind of work your planning on doing around your farm but I would think that this cat might be a little light. 6way dozer is nice but if your digging dugouts or doing any kind or brushing I'd be looking at a d6d. I think a guy can find a pretty decent one for $40000.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I ran one for about a year. I found it to be reliable. The one I ran was equipped with a 3 tooth ripper and the only thing that would stop it was frost and electrical cables.

Its slightly too heavy to haul with a new model 1 ton drw, so if your looking for something in a size that you can move around I would find something smaller.

Additionally - if you are servicing yourself nothing about the machine is light duty. You may find that even your farm shop doesn't have the tools & equipment big enough to work on it. Consider servicing costs into the purchase price.
Specs say around 20,000 lbs I am thinking I can haul it with a tridem dually gooseneck with my f-550 service truck??