Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2024, 08:15 PM

Default New Alberta bus service starting

I hope it holds up. It’s actually faster to take the bus between Edmonton and Calgary versus flying.

Having to arrive early to fly and they going through security plus the airport in Edmonton being so far out of town… people should consider it.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-03-2024, 09:19 PM

long drum roll.......................................waiting for announcement of the to be named bus company
Old 04-03-2024, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
long drum roll.......................................waiting for announcement of the to be named bus company
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...lberta-flixbus
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-03-2024, 10:03 PM

With the price of gas & vehicles & an aging population, might be a viable alternative. Best of luck to them!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-04-2024, 05:51 AM

No idea why this is big news. Red Arrow, and a couple of others, already operate a regular bus service between Edmonton and Calgary, plus Ft Mac, Lethbridge and other places. Have for at least 20 years.

This new service still does not provide service to all the small towns that lost bus service when Greyhound shut down passenger service. Greyhound failed partly because their buses were absolutely filthy inside and poorly maintained. Last time I rode one was around 2002, Hinton to Edmonton. Had to have my clothes dry cleaned when I got to the Hotel. Not needing "Fancy Store fronts" and being digital as a central driver of success is hilarious. Their terminals were right in the heart of the worst part of every large town and they were filthy too.

Red Arrow is clean, first class treatment and a good schedule. Used to take it from Calgary to Edm regularly, it was faster and way more comfortable than flying.

Last edited by Dean2; 04-04-2024 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:20 AM

2X , I've used Red Arrow many times it's must better and I think safer also then Greyhound.

I was hoping eventually that RA would expand to the smaller communities to fill the void left by GH.

Tommy
Old 04-04-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
2X , I've used Red Arrow many times it's must better and I think safer also then Greyhound.

I was hoping eventually that RA would expand to the smaller communities to fill the void left by GH.

Tommy
Much safer. No records of any beheadings on Red Arrow
Old 04-04-2024, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
With the price of gas & vehicles & an aging population, might be a viable alternative. Best of luck to them!
At one time, we had practical bus and train transportation in this entire country, a damn good idea that would reduce those carbon emissions the government keeps ranting about.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-04-2024, 04:41 PM

Looks like red arrow is $100-150 return Edmonton to Calgary
Old 04-04-2024, 08:24 PM

I hope that they will do a little freight too. It would be nice to have a discount currier. As long as their slogan isn’t “ you be goin, where we beheadin” I wish them the best.🤣
Old 04-04-2024, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
At one time, we had practical bus and train transportation in this entire country, a damn good idea that would reduce those carbon emissions the government keeps ranting about.
Yup and they were private companies that pulled the pin because there was no profit in it.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:29 AM

I posted about this new bus service in another thread too. The introductory passenger ticket will be only $.50 for one way tickets to the routes they cover. And if it is a round trip from Calgary to Edmonton, it will be only $ 1 for the ticket. Let's face it the promotional offer will only be in effect for a short time. But at those prices people who are feeling the pinch money wise can check out this new bus service.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:33 AM

Treeroot is looking to move some mounts to Lac LaBiche. He might want to take advantage of the cheap fares.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=430504
Old 04-05-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Treeroot is looking to move some mounts to Lac LaBiche. He might want to take advantage of the cheap fares.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=430504
I'm not sure how the 1$ fee would work for shipping goods though.. its 1$ for a passenger is it not?
Old 04-05-2024, 10:52 AM

Default bus

My Dodge Cummins was same engine used in buses. You could sure provide a very low cost ticket driving 50 persons rather than one guy in a Ram 4x4.
PS Even help Turd with his dream world.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:30 PM

Another bus service in Alberta is asking for government handouts.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10402554/...ropes-carrier/

Didn’t realize but Flix is a German owned company.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
I'm not sure how the 1$ fee would work for shipping goods though.. its 1$ for a passenger is it not?
If you own a phone I bet one call and you could figure it out.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:36 PM

Used them in Europe. Sometimes it was OK.