Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-10-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FellSwoop View Post
Too bad Horniday Superperformance factory loads are not available in 303 British. I think the 180 grain SST would perform nicely in this cartridge. As for accuracy, it is a bit of a stretch but my Lee Enfield should be able to achieve 1/0.25 MOA at 100 yards. For sure 1/0.20 MOA.
Does Hornady even make anything other than the FMJ anymore?
Sorry fir the derail I have some great load data for the Lee Enfield if you are interested !
Cat
Old 11-10-2018, 12:28 PM

Hi Cat.
I would love to reload but right now it doesn't fit into life (teenagers). I only shoot about 100 rounds a year now. In a few years maybe...
Thanks for the offer.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Banned

I think hornady superformance ammo would blow up most 303’s lol.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I think hornady superformance ammo would blow up most 303’s lol.
This is me when a “ Super magnum “ round round goes into a #1 Mk4 at the range !!
Cat
Old 11-11-2018, 11:11 PM

I shoot a mulie buck yesterday with a 150gn SST bullet. Distance +/-200m; estimated speed at impact +/- 2600ftps.
Typical bradside shot. The bullet entered behind shoulders breaking the ribs, destroyed the liver and got stopped from the ribs on the other side. No extensive meat damage. Deer dropped immediately.
The bullet stayed intact and mushroomed perfectly. I found it when gutting and put it aside for later, but could not find it when I finish loading the deer Overall I am very happy with bullet performance.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseHunter View Post
Its not the ammo guys. The ammo these days are EXCELLENT! It's whether your barrel likes that type of bullet. Go with the round that your barrel loves the most. My gauge is .25 MOA @ 200 yards or better. But that is just me.

Unless you dont know how to shoot, then its you and not the barrel hehe
You over did it with the claim of .25 MOA. Now we all know you're full of shot. If you'd said 1 MOA you would still have some credibility hehe.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:09 AM

I’ll just put this back up, because GrouseHunter still hasn’t posted a picture of his .25MOA, 200 yard groups.

Maybe he forgot, after trying to kill a big buck.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-22-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
They shoot great out of my 6.5X55 TiKKa!
I will have to say, the same day I took that picture of the group.. I also brought out my M1 Garand, shooting #3031 Hornady 150gr. SP bullets doing about 2600fps. I shot at the steel gong to 100yds. and it left nice small craters in the steal. Then I thought to tryout the 6X5X55 using the above load on the gong.Doing about the same FPS. I sighted in on the gong where there was no impact spots in that area. Shot 2 rounds, and went to look! Those two rounds did not leave any indentation's at all! You could see where they hit, but no other damage to the gong. Kinda got me thinking?

Last edited by badbrass; 11-22-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:35 PM

Default Recovered “bullets”

Here’s a pic of some .338 cal 225 grain sst shot from a 338rcm
Impact velocity estimated 2600 ft/sec
Total separation and total internal destruction
Dead moose and jelly for lungs . Not a lot of meat damage . The energy was released quickly inside the body cavity at -150 yards.

Would rather they stay together. Still killed fine. But I’ve switched to interbonds.
Stuck with factory ammo till I start reloading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8F369563-3978-4552-BF79-6D7E35224A95.jpg (10.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 11-22-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Here’s a pic of some .338 cal 225 grain sst shot from a 338rcm
Impact velocity estimated 2600 ft/sec
Total separation and total internal destruction
Dead moose and jelly for lungs . Not a lot of meat damage . The energy was released quickly inside the body cavity at -150 yards.

Would rather they stay together. Still killed fine. But I’ve switched to interbonds.
Stuck with factory ammo till I start reloading.
my exact experience with the sst but on white tail. it did work and filled the freezer but I would prefer not having the core separation. I switched to the swift bullets and haven't had a core separate since.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Oh my! Just keeps getting better, LOL!

Lead sled, Browning, factory ammo.

No better way to shoot? LOL! Let me guess, your scope is a Huskemah?
I had a CZ hornet, shot factory 35gr into one hole but only at a 100yards...
Old 11-23-2018, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
I had a CZ hornet, shot factory 35gr into one hole but only at a 100yards...
Cool story...
Old 11-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I’ll just put this back up, because GrouseHunter still hasn’t posted a picture of his .25MOA, 200 yard groups.

Maybe he forgot, after trying to kill a big buck.
He’s playing possum now
Old 11-23-2018, 11:44 AM
Banned

Lol not dead yet!

When the hunting season is over I will go to the range on the first warm day, take pictures and post the results @200 yards.

In the meantime, this is 3 shots @100 yards from a bench rest (it could have been 2 I honestly do not remember) with 190 grain Nosler ABLR's:

Cheers and Happy Hunting

Last edited by GrouseHunter; 11-23-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
He’s playing possum now
Are you playing possum now?
Old 11-23-2018, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you playing possum now?
Yup, that’s it
Old 11-23-2018, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yup, that’s it
Here's the deal crazy_davey and why the under score I will never understand?

You collect $500.00 from every member that called me a liar here and put it into a pot. I pick you up and we will go (with a witness) to a shooting range and I will shoot my rifle in front of you. If I do not shoot .25 MOA @ 200 yards then you can call me the world's biggest liar and I will apologize to everyone here on AO for lying to them. Then I will cancel my account and I will never post on AO ever again. I give you my word!

If I do shoot .25 MOA @ 200 yards then I take the money and that day you will publicly apologize to me on AO on this very same thread.

Would that work for you, or are you insatiable?
Old 11-23-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:

You collect $500.00 from every member that called me a liar here and put it into a pot. I pick you up and we will go (with a witness) to a shooting range and I will shoot my rifle in front of you. If I do not shoot .25 MOA @ 200 yards then you can call me the world's biggest liar and I will apologize to everyone here on AO for lying to them. Then I will cancel my account and I will never post on AO ever again. I give you my word!

If I do shoot .25 MOA @ 200 yards then I take the money and that day you will publicly apologize to me on AO on this very same thread.

Let’s all de-escalate this, that’s some damn fine shooting, I look foreword to seeing your 200 yard groups. Cheers.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
Let’s all de-escalate this, that’s some damn fine shooting, I look foreword to seeing your 200 yard groups. Cheers.
I stand by my word. AO people that want to call fellow members a liar need a head shake!

Happy Shooting Sir
Old 11-23-2018, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

You’re so full of **** edmhunter I can smell you all the way from here... Typical car salesman.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
You’re so full of **** edmhunter I can smell you all the way from here... Typical car salesman.
Or should I call you BumbleB, pureshot, gatlingune, huntingsask. I guess any of those would work as well...
Old 11-23-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Was going to say the challenge sounded eerily like pie plates...
Old 11-26-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
For the record I achieved .25 MOA on a bench with my rifle in a lead sled. Is there any other way to properly sight in your rifle? Shooting a grouse in the head @ 200 yards iImpossible for me which is why i hunt grouse with shotduns lol, A heart shot @ 200 yards is possible, although i personally aim for the mid lung area for the higher % kill. I am not any type of super hero shot, i do consider myself a good shot though.

Lots of great factory ammo out these days all you have to do is to test a bunch of different rounds to see which bullet your barrel loves then go with it, they will all kill. No difference with a pellet rifle which I found out recently.
Actually lead sled isn't best choice.... Especially if it's weighted down.

Sand bags for me and free recoil..... Your rifle has to recoil the same each time....or p.o.i could shift.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:43 AM

I had an Browning X_Bolt 7mm_08 youth hunter model.

It would shoot an honest 1/2" group @100 yards with handloads.

It was LH model and my kid out grew it so I sold it.

I didn't really like the 20" barrel and it actually bucked quite a bit for 7mm_08.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariu View Post
I shoot a mulie buck yesterday with a 150gn SST bullet. Distance +/-200m; estimated speed at impact +/- 2600ftps.
Typical bradside shot. The bullet entered behind shoulders breaking the ribs, destroyed the liver and got stopped from the ribs on the other side. No extensive meat damage. Deer dropped immediately.
The bullet stayed intact and mushroomed perfectly. I found it when gutting and put it aside for later, but could not find it when I finish loading the deer Overall I am very happy with bullet performance.
Not to be picky, but behind the shoulder leaves a lot of room. Just how far "behind the shoulder" was the shot ? Seems to me some need to bone up on where the "shoulder" is located on Game animals.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:46 AM

I used the 150gn SST bullets for the elk hunt in Suffield. Shot a cow Elk on the second day of the hunt.
Shot was taken from behind at +/-150m in a not so favorable angle. The bullet took the guts and was found on the spine. The cow dropped on its tracks.
Here is a picture of what is left from a 150gn SST. It has lost the cup completely. Remaining weight 57gn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190130_110857256.jpg (18.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-30-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariu View Post
I used the 150gn SST bullets for the elk hunt in Suffield. Shot a cow Elk on the second day of the hunt.
Shot was taken from behind at +/-150m in a not so favorable angle. The bullet took the guts and was found on the spine. The cow dropped on its tracks.
Here is a picture of what is left from a 150gn SST. It has lost the cup completely. Remaining weight 57gn.
Hmmm. Seems like people who use them on actual game with decent shot placement have good things to say about them. People who are badmouthing them have stories from a friend of a friend. Interesting.