Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Hope this works......
Very nice. Congrats!
Old 01-07-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Very nice. Congrats!
All your fault...........I have friends that I call enablers, be it golf, guns, and now knives! LOL

I honed it up on some ceramic sticks and it cuts paper with ease so it should cut through fresh meat like a hot knife through butter.....
Old 01-07-2022, 10:24 AM

Mb-MBR's new knife from Clint - slightly bigger picture for easier viewing. That really is a very pretty knife. Aught to do the job just great.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Mb-MBR's new knife from Clint - slightly bigger picture for easier viewing. That really is a very pretty knife. Aught to do the job just great.

In one of the knives Clint made me; my handle is in the "flint knapped" texture handle, like the one in the picture.

It is a great fit and the handle does not slip or slide around in your hand when it gets wet with water or blood....

Good choice,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:13 AM

Default Knife

One day I will own a Clint C knife he does beautiful work.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
In one of the knives Clint made me; my handle is in the "flint knapped" texture handle, like the one in the picture.

It is a great fit and the handle does not slip or slide around in your hand when it gets wet with water or blood....

Good choice,
I was wondering about so its great to know....thank you
Old 01-07-2022, 03:40 PM

Anyone have Clint’s contact info? I see there is a linked in profile, butnI don’t have one and don’t want to create one either.

Thanks
Ken
Old 01-07-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
Anyone have Clint’s contact info? I see there is a linked in profile, butnI don’t have one and don’t want to create one either.

Thanks
Ken
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru.../73010-clint-c

Cgn contact info. You can pm him there if no one has a email for him.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post

Thanks
Ken
You can reach him at
Cchisan@telus.net
Cat
Old 01-07-2022, 04:25 PM

Default grohman

I have an extra grohman skinning knife im willing to part with. Bought two and the second one never comes out of the case. I can pass on the savings to you
Old 01-07-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretz5582 View Post
I have an extra grohman skinning knife im willing to part with. Bought two and the second one never comes out of the case. I can pass on the savings to you
Pm sent

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2022, 12:12 PM

This a great watch. It’s about Bob Loveless and his knives. It will make a $300 custom knife seem like a bargain.

https://youtu.be/7v-DuWRfm7s

-Billy Molls
Old 01-08-2022, 12:26 PM

This thread got me looking at knives mainly on Gunnutz and I cannot believe the price on some of them.

We had a knife maker in a small town by the name of Niedermeyer, a German fellow whos was a complete gentleman. A fellow archer told me about him 30 years ago or so, I made the call to visit to see some of his knives, arrived about 1:00 p.m on a Saturday. We spent the day and night talking about knives, guns and hunting in his basement.

It was 1:30 a.m before we realized what time it was, I apologized profusely for taking up that much of his time. I ended up buying 2 knives that day and went back subsequent times and bought others but it was mostly to visit.

He was only an hour or so from the city but his wife made me a lunch for the drive home.........wonderful people.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:27 PM

Default Knife

This was a great read. I had no intention, of buying another knife, but after reading this I think I will be buying a Clint C knife, and for sure a Grohman
Knife.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:04 PM

Default Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
This was a great read. I had no intention, of buying another knife, but after reading this I think I will be buying a Clint C knife, and for sure a Grohman
Knife.
I don’t mind buying used if someone has a Grohman #1 for sale.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:34 PM

So interesting thing. I just ordered an in stock Dozier from the US. What a pain in the rear end. One company wanted a minimum $500 order and a wire for the first order. No thanks. I considered the $500 and then selling one when they arrived, but the wire killed that idea. The second place that had the knife seemed to be no problem. Placed the order Saturday, picked international USPS priority post for a reasonable cost etc. Then, this morning I get an email from customer service. They want to see my drivers license. Huh? So I call them. Apparently due to the high instance of international credit card fraud this is what they need and if you don’t like it you can go somewhere else. And, they also just changed that policy from a $500 minimum and first order by wire for international customers. But they changed to the drivers license because wire fees started to eat into profits. Well duh.

Anyway, we worked it out, knife is on the way and I’m good to go for subsequent orders. But what a mess.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-10-2022, 04:39 PM

I ordered one from Crotts. He still makes them as they are ordered and you can specify shape, steel, tang, handle material etc. Wait time is 3 to 6 months. Which company did you end up ordering from?
Old 01-10-2022, 04:44 PM

Just sent you a PM Dean

-Billy Molls
Old 01-10-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I ordered one from Crotts. He still makes them as they are ordered and you can specify shape, steel, tang, handle material etc. Wait time is 3 to 6 months. Which company did you end up ordering from?
If you want you can also pick specific pins, lanyard tube material, change the length of the handle, thumb notches on the spine, liners etc. Thats the beauty of having him build it is you get to call the shots.

Which model did you order?
Old 01-10-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
If you want you can also pick specific pins, lanyard tube material, change the length of the handle, thumb notches on the spine, liners etc. Thats the beauty of having him build it is you get to call the shots.

Which model did you order?
I took your advice and ordered the semi skinner, which to me looks the same as the Dozier Yukon Skinner.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I took your advice and ordered the semi skinner, which to me looks the same as the Dozier Yukon Skinner.
Dean, I think they are slightly different.

Correct me if I’m wrong Coiloil, but you have one of each in your hand in the picture you posted?

-Billy Molls
Old 01-10-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

Correct me if I’m wrong Coiloil, but you have one of each in your hand in the picture you posted?

Correct. Top knife is a dozier yps and the bottom is the Crotts semi skinner. That semi skinner is the best design I’ve ever held. You’ll be happy with it. For me it was the first thing I’ve used that was very good at everything. Usually if something is really good at one thing it’s at the expense of another, not with this knife.
The yps is the next best design that I’ve used.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Chuck

I agree and I think you a right about it being one of each in his hand. The Dozier is a flat grind and has a flatter spine. I actually like the convex spine on the Crotts and the hollow ground blade. The edge shapes however are very close to my eye.

I see coiloil was posting at the same time. Really looking forward to trying the new knife out on game.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:53 PM

The Dozier is hollow ground as well.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-10-2022, 07:00 PM

They’re both hollow ground. Hard to compare the two but

It’s all subtle but makes a big difference. The drop at the tip, that little bump on the spine to ride on the meat while the blade opens the hide, that smooth sweeping blade without the traditional belly, the angle what your cutting intersects the blade. The geometry between the blade and handle for fatigue and to keep your hand up off the hide when cutting and specifically where the tip of the knife is relative to your hand when blind cutting. It all adds up when your paying attention to it.

It has impressed the heck out of me and it cuts like a much larger knife.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:09 PM

Those are a fantastic pair of knives for sure.

Have you ever had corrosion issues with Dozier’s D2?

-Billy Molls
Old 01-10-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Those are a fantastic pair of knives for sure.

Have you ever had corrosion issues with Dozier’s D2?

I never did in Alberta. Being as I’m not using them here I have them wiped with lanolin in the safe and haven’t had a problem here either. It’s salty here so if I’m not having a problem you’ll have to abuse it to have a rust issue there. I’m this close to saltwater, third house to the right of the traffic circle, you can see the teal boat cover in the picture. Not the one with the “AW” above the house. That’s the neighbour who’s selling and I stole the pic off their listing.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:24 PM

I’d like to know about the D2 and corrosion also. My bench made D2 knife rusted after one day in the field and that was the reason my last 2 customs I chose a different steel.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:25 PM

Coilol37, I’ll m curious what steel you decided on for your fillet knife?
Old 01-10-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Coilol37, I’ll m curious what steel you decided on for your fillet knife?
I asked for magnacut but told Phil if he builds something prior that the guy backs out of I would take it. The one I’ve got is CPM-154 and I haven’t had any issues with it. The way that man heat treats I wouldn’t be scared of any steel he uses.
If his timeline is correct it should only be two or three more months until I find out.

I should clarify. I was here for two plus years before I put lanolin on the D2 but a few months ago I wiped them because I haven’t been using them. Regardless I’ve never had corrosion issues with them and I’ve had dozier D2 for a decade now.