Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-02-2014, 10:39 PM

Default Bow river safety

Look at http://globalnews.ca/news/1589944/bo...rom-bow-river/ . This is oddly common. I like to fish this river but this causing me to hesitate. When I'm in Calgary downtown and walk on the bridges, I see the bottom. Seriously wonder why all these people die. I recognize that an elderly is more vulnerable to this, but is it the river to swift or to rocky and dangerous, cause it ain't deep. This river has claimed many souls in the past years and fishermen to in the upper course. Reminder to every Bow angler to be careful. I'd like to float down the bow in the future if I get a boat but this freaks me out, cause I ain't a good swimmer. Sad tragedy
Old 10-03-2014, 05:26 AM

The Bow is cold and swift, which can be a deadly combination. It doesn't need to be deep do drown in.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Banned

Lots of things can happen very quickly if a person just slips in the river. Probably the biggest danger is your waders filling up with water. Always wear a belt.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:49 PM

Is it idea to float down for a crappy swimmer? Heard you also rent something to go down. Inflatables look common but not too safe
Old 10-06-2014, 12:30 PM

I sort of marvel at just how drunk, incompetent or truly unlucky you have to be to drown on the bow in city limits (short of the weir area but there are signs there). But then you can say that about drowning in general, use your brain and your pretty much sure to avoid it.

If you can't swim good, wear your PDF even if you can, you have to inside city limits regardless.

Don't tie your "boats" together every year or so you hear about a party not being able to maneuver around a bridge and getting into trouble getting tangled would be a good way to kill yourself. if you can row yourself 10 yards across stream with relative ease you can pretty much avoid anything as long as your using your brain and looking.

Wait until mid july and august for fun drifts, warmer water, lower flow make for a safer time.

Worst case if you go in, don't fight the current float on your back with feet down stream and side slip to the shore.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:02 PM

Okay, the reason why swimming would help is because it could get you to swim there easily, but now I know its not necessary, I'll just keep an open eye and brain. Thanks
Also it really sucks that someone in the city limits of calgary dies, right pass where you regularly go.