Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 PM

Default Lowrance HDS-5 Fishfinder?

Is anyone here running a Lowrance HDS-5 Fish finder and if so how do you like it? A friend of mine is willing to part with his after upgrading to a Lowrance Lcx 112c (really nice but a few grand) I can get it for almost next to nothing, however I was going to upgrade this winter to something good and I don't want to settle
Old 10-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
Is anyone here running a Lowrance HDS-5 Fish finder and if so how do you like it? A friend of mine is willing to part with his after upgrading to a Lowrance Lcx 112c (really nice but a few grand) I can get it for almost next to nothing, however I was going to upgrade this winter to something good and I don't want to settle
i have an HDS7 basically same unit great outfit go for it.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:35 PM

That would match your boat just fine.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:38 PM

He wants $200 for it with the option I can nickle and dime it over time with beer and BBQ's if the funds ain't immediately available. Sounds like a deal I wont pass up, Ill try and install it over this winter or early spring. I'm currently using a cheap hummingbird 160 that came with my boat with a hand held GPS to mark spots I absolutely Hate my current fishfinder, I cant mark bait at all.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:51 PM

Jump all over that deal. The hds units are amazing. I run a hds 8 right now and want to get a couple more hds units for the front and back of the boat in the future.

Get the map chip for Canada and make sure that the software is fully updated and you will notice a big difference in marking structure and fish.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:07 PM

$200 is a great deal , grab it. The 112 is a discontinued unit but still a great picture.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Default hds 5

I have 1 of these units and there great...Geez and I paid 850. for mine..
Old 10-22-2011, 07:16 PM

Anyone know how hard it would be to install in a new Lund Rebel? should I just take it in to get done. I have a friend that went to Rainbow Marine here in red deer to have a finder installed and it wasn't working properly so he had it removed from his boat only to find out they had shortened the transducer cord causing all kinds of issues so I'm leary of bringing to them. Not to mention when I phoned in a while back for freeze protecting advise I was told use a gas additive and trim the motor up and down until it emptied and I'm good to store? Thats defiantly not what I learned here!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
I have 1 of these units and there great...Geez and I paid 850. for mine..
He is a friend but also my Boss lol I'm sure Ill be paying allot more for mine then you did in the long run.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 PM

You should be able to install it pretty easily yourself.

Do you have a transducer mounting board on the transom? If so then it will be very easy to install Just run the power cord and transducer cords to the same place that your current sonar is run to.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
You should be able to install it pretty easily yourself.

Do you have a transducer mounting board on the transom? If so then it will be very easy to install Just run the power cord and transducer cords to the same place that your current sonar is run to.
Sure do, my only issue is the cords (motor as well) run along the drivers side up to my console in a square tube covered in carpet I'm thinking to keep things neat and tidy. Not sure if I remove it somehow or fish a string through and tie the transducer cable pulling it through that way....whops thats what Ill do.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:41 PM

Ya I would say fish a cable through and feed your power cord and transducer cord through the little cable holder.

Make sure to add an inline fuse to the power cable so that if you have a problem it will blow the fuse instead of the whole head unit.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Ya I would say fish a cable through and feed your power cord and transducer cord through the little cable holder.

Make sure to add an inline fuse to the power cable so that if you have a problem it will blow the fuse instead of the whole head unit.
Sounds good, Ill make sure there is a fuse between the power head and battery (good idea) Ive already noticed fuses between the battery on my bilge pump and live-well pump so it makes sence. Thanks.

If anyone is in need of a fishfinder (free) give me a PM it works great on depth and fish of some size (marked and pulled lunkers out of cold lake, marked big eyes and caught them, just look up the threads) I need one with GPS, able to mark bait balls and zoom on structure
Old 10-22-2011, 08:18 PM

You should keep that little sonar that you have and use it up at the bow for your trolling. This will help you steer on structure if you attach the transducer to the bottom of your bow mount.

You are a walleye guy and will notice an improvement for staying on structure or in a certain depth if you have it set up on the bow mount.

If you don't want it I can sure use it on my boat.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Banned

Does the cable for your finder run through the cable tube now?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Does the cable for your finder run through the cable tube now?
yep
Old 10-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
yep
Before you pull that cable out tie a cord to it the cord will be pulled through the cable tube to the back as you pull the cable out then use it to pull new cable in
Old 10-22-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
You should keep that little sonar that you have and use it up at the bow for your trolling. This will help you steer on structure if you attach the transducer to the bottom of your bow mount.

You are a walleye guy and will notice an improvement for staying on structure or in a certain depth if you have it set up on the bow mount.

If you don't want it I can sure use it on my boat.
I'm still going to invest in a GPS capable unit for the bow otherwise your going to loose the structure your on anyways (wind). Ill keep you in mind for the finder, I'm sure its yours especially if you give me a hand installing two
Old 10-22-2011, 08:39 PM

I will do whatever I can to help from down here in the south unless you wanted to tow your boat down this way. Then I could help you with some hands on. You should have no problems installing that hds as long as you fish the cables through the wire tubing. You will have to buy some sort of mount for the dash but that is also easy to set up.

If I did receive your little sonar I would be using it more as a depth finder for back trolling until I can afford to upgrade to some better units in a year or 2 down the road.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I will do whatever I can to help from down here in the south unless you wanted to tow your boat down this way. Then I could help you with some hands on. You should have no problems installing that hds as long as you fish the cables through the wire tubing. You will have to buy some sort of mount for the dash but that is also easy to set up.

If I did receive your little sonar I would be using it more as a depth finder for back trolling until I can afford to upgrade to some better units in a year or 2 down the road.
its yours Ill send it your way as soon as I wire mine in. Pm with your address now and when I can make time to swap mine out ill send it your way. If I run into any issues I'm sure ill be able to figure them out.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 PM

If for some reason you don't want the HDS 5 let me know, that is a killer deal,
Old 10-22-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
its yours Ill send it your way as soon as I wire mine in. Pm with your address now and when I can make time to swap mine out ill send it your way. If I run into any issues I'm sure ill be able to figure them out.
pm sent.

If you have any questions about it let me know and I will try to help you out. I am by no means a pro I have just learned from working on my boats with my buddy who installs electronics for a living.