Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 AM

Default Gaz auger in a car/SUV?

I have a question for car/SUV/gas auger owners:

Do you have a lot of problems with gas spills / smell when transporting a gas auger?
Any tips on how to transport it? It will be my first power auger.
I am thinking to buy Eskimo z71, (or z51 if I can reason myself into 8in auger)

Thanks

PS. I actually reasoned myself into z51-8in (for safety), but looked at z71 and really want it now (for power)

Last edited by ak-71; 10-20-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:41 AM

When I used to use a enclosed vehicle for transporting my gas auger around... I used to have a good sized Rubbermaid tub that I got at WalMart. I'd rig the inside with rags so the powerhead would sit upright. No leaks... No spills..... did the same thing for the Jerry can.

The Fishin' Hole, sells a big hard plastic auger tube that fits the whole unit. I'm thinking of going this route for this season and put it in the back of the truck.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:45 AM

Should mention about those big Rubbermaid tubs.....get one deep enough so u can use the lids they come with to keep the smells out of your vehicle.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:35 PM

I just took mine down and put it in the trunk , no issues . Keep the vent closed of course
Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 PM

Two simple suggestions: One, put the augur in the back of your vehicle with the pour spout pointed up and second; don't fill the gas tank too high to avoid splashing through the cap in transit.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 PM

Find your self an old milk crate, and strap it onto that. Will keep in nice and stable, and as long you keep the vent closed, you shouldn't have to worry about any leaks or spills...
Old 10-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Cabelas has an excellent auger bag. I have used it for years, and have found it to be one hell of a product, for less than $50. It has handles that you can carry the auger onto the lake, or throw it into your sled. Check it out.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:17 AM

Thank you - I am much more confident now.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

we have a mark on the tank and fill as needed at the lake. Had the fuel line pop off once and now we use a minivan, so filling at the lake seems better than a chance spilling again..
Old 10-22-2011, 07:57 AM

Last season I just tossed my auger in the back of the Jeep and that's pretty much where it stayed. No smell, no mess, no fuss

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-22-2011, 08:35 AM

The idea of the Rubbermaid bin is a good one, only downside is the size but if that's not an issue then it's great. After making sure the filler cap & vent are screwed tight, I just pull a medium sized garbage bag over the motor head, throw a couple turns of masking tape around the opening where it meets the auger shaft, then set it in a milk crate to keep it upright. Never had a problem with it in our minivan.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Last season I just tossed my auger in the back of the Jeep and that's pretty much where it stayed. No smell, no mess, no fuss
My buddy does that with his auger but last winter he forgot to close the vent screw & after bouncing across the lake he had a puddle of mixed gas soaked into the fabric of the back seat. We had to drive home 2hrs on the highway in -25 with the windows open all the way!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:09 AM

Default Jiffys stink

Buy a 4 strk auger , 2 stks always leak ....I have a 4 strk strikemaster ,no smell...
Old 10-22-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
I have a question for car/SUV/gas auger owners:

Do you have a lot of problems with gas spills / smell when transporting a gas auger?
Any tips on how to transport it? It will be my first power auger.
I am thinking to buy Eskimo z71, (or z51 if I can reason myself into 8in auger)

Thanks

PS. I actually reasoned myself into z51-8in (for safety), but looked at z71 and really want it now (for power)
I can't see any reason for going with an 8". Go big or go home!

If carrying the auger inside the passenger compartment of a vehicle, I would certainly investigate someway to anchor it. It could become a very nasty projectile in the event of an accident.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:11 AM

I just use a milk crate. The auger fits in perfect. I put some pipe foam around the top, then the handles can rest on the top. The pipe foam is the black stuff you wrap hot water pipes with. The milk crate sits great in any vehicle. Propane tank fits as well.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:26 PM

My buddy has a 10 years old Strike Master auger. His fool proof spill method is to take the bit off the motor. He has an 5 gal pail cut down to half its original height and there are 4 notches cut into the rim of the pail that the auger rests in. Keeps the motor sitting upright and it has no leaking problems. As for the smell of carrying a 2 stroke inside the vehicle, I just like to think thats the sweet smell of the hard water season!

Last edited by JohnnyD; 10-23-2011 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling errors