Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 AM

Default When to set up a tree stand

I am wondering how early folks set up their tree stands - I have aspot I've been monitoring for archery season and plan on setting it up beginning of August.

Too soon? or too late?

Also; I have read ideas for getting animals used to movement, like hanging a rag up on the stand where I would be sitting. Thoughts?

My stand is on crown land, but I'm not too worried about it walking away - I will just be hanging the stand without climbing sticks or anything and it is hard to get to without a ladder, and it's a cheap stand anyways. EDIT: Also, its a hang on stand.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:51 AM

Sooner the better in my opinion. Also like to set them up on rainy day's.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:01 AM

Mine are all up cept for one that will be more visible to those that should NOT be driving around...so NOW is good

Neil
Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 PM

I read in Field and Stream (I think) that a writer suggested hanging a rag on a branch near where the hunter would be sitting - supposedly to get animals used to movement up on the stand. Was thinking I may try it.

Anyone have thoughts or experience on that? Or am I just going too far?
Old 07-29-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergman View Post
I read in Field and Stream (I think) that a writer suggested hanging a rag on a branch near where the hunter would be sitting - supposedly to get animals used to movement up on the stand. Was thinking I may try it.

Anyone have thoughts or experience on that? Or am I just going too far?
I guess it all depends on the deer in your area. Are they used to being hunted from tree's, do they look up? Sounds like the article was more geared towards places in the states where there are 10 hunters hunting the same square mile and the deer jump the string.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have good cover behind you to mask your movement.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I guess it all depends on the deer in your area. Are they used to being hunted from tree's, do they look up? Sounds like the article was more geared towards places in the states where there are 10 hunters hunting the same square mile and the deer jump the string.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have good cover behind you to mask your movement.
X2

Neil
Old 07-29-2014, 05:39 PM

Re: rag/movement - I've heard of hunters putting a human-form, camo painted plywood cutout in stands. both may work if the critters don't know what a hunter is...but the ones in your area most definitely do know, so most likely would simply avoid the stand.

Id say just keep scent to a minimum, and make sure you're not skylined.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:12 PM

What is the best height to set a stand up on a tree? As in how high should ones feet be at?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
What is the best height to set a stand up on a tree? As in how high should ones feet be at?
Generally speaking, the higher the better - less chance of being seen. But they pick out movement regardless of stand height. 15 ft is a good start, higher if possible. The reason the tv show hunters get away with so much is they are usually > 20 ft up. But you still see them get busted, and I'm sure it happens more often than they show.

I have one stand that produces every year, I'm sitting about 9 ft up. This spot requires absolute stillness (4hr evening sits, moving only my eyes, and shooting from sitting position), but when the deer are feeding almost in arms reach its a heck of a rush.

Back to the op, some stands ill hang next week (all season ladder stands) and some I clear the tree/surroundings and hang the stand at the time of the hunt. Situation dependent, especially if stands tend to grow legs.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:40 PM

Thats awesome. . Im buying a few stands next week. And some ladder sticks. I have a few places that the trail cams have me wanting to hunt. Hoping im lucky enough to draw first blood with the Alloy
Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thats awesome. . Im buying a few stands next week. And some ladder sticks. I have a few places that the trail cams have me wanting to hunt. Hoping im lucky enough to draw first blood with the Alloy
Save yourself some money and time and buy one good climbing stand. Prep a tree at each location that you'd like to hunt and take your stand with you each time that you go out. The deer won't even notice the stand unless there's noise or movement from it that makes them look up. Deer don't have the perifial vision that critters like coyotes do so when they are up close to the stand they won't see you unless you give them a reason to look up. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 PM

I never worry about setting up early as I have a climbing tree stand. All I need is my stand and a saw and I can go up about 20 -25 feet first time into an area. Usually go out early morning in the dark to a previous stand tree and climb before light. Evening hunts in stand by 3PM to dark.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Save yourself some money and time and buy one good climbing stand. Prep a tree at each location that you'd like to hunt and take your stand with you each time that you go out. The deer won't even notice the stand unless there's noise or movement from it that makes them look up. Deer don't have the perifial vision that critters like coyotes do so when they are up close to the stand they won't see you unless you give them a reason to look up. Good luck!
Anything you would recommend to look at? Im a hair under 6 feet and 227pounds and still dropping
Old 07-29-2014, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Anything you would recommend to look at? Im a hair under 6 feet and 227pounds and still dropping
I don't know the brand names but I can tell you what to look for. The biggest factour for me was how the climber attached to the tree. I had one with plastic coated aircraft cable and it wasn't long before I got rid of it. The one that I have now has a belt that looks the same as a skidoo belt that has been cut so it's one long piece. I find it much, much better.

I don't know what mine is rated for but I'm sure that it'd hold a lot more than 250 lbs. It's not very strenuous to get up and down the tree with a climber either. As long as you can hold your body weight on your elbows while lifting your legs to move the bottom portion up the tree, you can do it. At age 56 and 200 lbs and it takes me less than a minute to get up 20 feet.

I'll never go back to stationary treestands.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:15 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt!erDave View Post
I don't know the brand names but I can tell you what to look for. The biggest factour for me was how the climber attached to the tree. I had one with plastic coated aircraft cable and it wasn't long before I got rid of it. The one that I have now has a belt that looks the same as a skidoo belt that has been cut so it's one long piece. I find it much, much better.

I don't know what mine is rated for but I'm sure that it'd hold a lot more than 250 lbs. It's not very strenuous to get up and down the tree with a climber either. As long as you can hold your body weight on your elbows while lifting your legs to move the bottom portion up the tree, you can do it. At age 56 and 200 lbs and it takes me less than a minute to get up 20 feet.

I'll never go back to stationary treestands.
Pleaze feel free to message me a pic of your climber. Since reading your posts.... a climber is waaaay more ideal for my needs. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:37 AM
Banned

Default climbers

Quote:
Summit treestands for climbers. Spend as much as you can afford, keep stand weight and comfort in mind if it's a long walk in or will be a long sit. Some of the even better than average hanger stands I wouldn't take if you gave them to me. I use milienium hanger stands and climbing sticks, the M150 I think they are called, the ones with the seat back, wow are they ever comfortable! They have a type of bracket you put around your tree, slide stand out of bracket and take stand when you leave. Several climbing sticks and brackets set up in many locations, and you only need the one stand, hunt wherever the wind dictates best for that day. Bought all of my Millenium stuff at Jimbows, best prices I could find for sure. Something with a seat back is strongly recommended. Cheers
Old 07-30-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergman View Post
I am wondering how early folks set up their tree stands - I have aspot I've been monitoring for archery season and plan on setting it up beginning of August.

Too soon? or too late?

Also; I have read ideas for getting animals used to movement, like hanging a rag up on the stand where I would be sitting. Thoughts?

My stand is on crown land, but I'm not too worried about it walking away - I will just be hanging the stand without climbing sticks or anything and it is hard to get to without a ladder, and it's a cheap stand anyways. EDIT: Also, its a hang on stand.

Thanks in advance.
Never too soon too be ready for the season.

The idea of movement does baffle me though, the intention of your set up is to blend into your environment and conceal your movement.

Height, well many a booner has been killed from the ground, you should worry more about your concealment than the height of your stand. Typically prey other than small animals do not monitor the sky for predators...

The idea of the climbers is great, but I would worry about shooting lanes myself.

One trick that helps is a cheap crow decoy, purchase anywhere and place near your set up when your there... Animals feel comfortable when they see this decoy and typically march right on in...

Be very aware of sky lining yourself in all your elevated stands... Setting up while there is leaves makes you feel comfortable till the fall and no leaves on the trees..

Best of luck to all and please wear your harnesses while elevated this season.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Pending on where you are/hunt around Wainwright here you would be hard pressed to find a suitable tree within a 20 mile radis of the spot you like...

So ladder stands work best here as even a smaller tree acts as a tripod and will gert you up there...

Height IMHO given all the factors , sky lighted, wind, movement etc...it all depends how educated the deer are...for most of Alberta deer dont generally look up ...bow zones will have more educated eyes...

I have had everything from good Whitetails, Moose, Elk, Bears, Wolves, mule deer etc walk rioght under a 16 ft ladder stand..some even licked the steps...lol

Neil
Old 07-30-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I have a summit viper and I really like it, bought it on sale at bass pro couple of years ago.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Pleaze feel free to message me a pic of your climber. Since reading your posts.... a climber is waaaay more ideal for my needs. Thanks!
Here ya go. I don't know what make it is but it is nice and light (all aluminum) and nothing to bang around and clang together (ie climbing cable). The back rest straps onto the tree after you have climbed to where you want to be. The front rest is adjustable but I need to make adjustments to it because it's way too lose and tightening it just squeezes the tube. I figure a couple of collars inside the tubes for the bolt to go through should fix that. Note the pack straps on the top of the bottom piece. Once you carry it in you tighten the straps a bit and the toes of your boot go under them so you can lift the bottom piece up when you are climbing.

This is the belt system that I like over the cable system. You slide the end of the belt into the end of the tube and when you have it where you want it you just click the latch down. It's a lot faster and quieter than the cable system and, IMO, holds a lot better than the cable system.

I don't know what models are on the market right now but the ones that I've seen look pretty darned expensive. I picked mine up of of ebay and even with the shipping it was still half of what I would have paid in the stores. The reason that it was so cheap was the manufacturer forgot two welds and after it was painted, quality control rejected it. The fella that I bought it from welded the two spots but didn't paint the welds. I never did paint the two spots and the deer that I've seen while sitting in it didn't seem to mind at all.....LOL!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:37 AM

If you want to get into stands undetected use hang ons. Climbers are noisy and can get sketchy in certain trees and in the cold. I have multiple hang ons and can do a set in about 20 mins in a poplar with minimal tree trimming. I had a good scare leaning off to one side in my climber. That was enough for me.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post
If you want to get into stands undetected use hang ons. Climbers are noisy and can get sketchy in certain trees and in the cold. I have multiple hang ons and can do a set in about 20 mins in a poplar with minimal tree trimming. I had a good scare leaning off to one side in my climber. That was enough for me.
Yup...rode one down for 8 feet didnt get hurt but soiled my fancys for sure...lol

Never a perfect tree..more trimming branches than any other stand...
hated when up there and nature calls...
very noisy

but very effective in right area with no worry of theft...cept back of the truck...had a couple of shooters that had just the base stole out of their truck...both ended up with scrap metal...

not knocking the climbers...just not for me!

Neil
Old 07-31-2014, 08:18 AM

I only use hanging stands like most I worry about theft too. I hang my stands early and trim all shooting lanes but do not over trim. I make a note about how many tree steps I use for each tree and than I remove them. That way I know how many steps I need for each tree and it becomes harder for anyone to steal. Just a thought. Putting in the steps the afternoon before the hunt is quick and easy.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportHuntingHelp View Post
I only use hanging stands like most I worry about theft too. I hang my stands early and trim all shooting lanes but do not over trim. I make a note about how many tree steps I use for each tree and than I remove them. That way I know how many steps I need for each tree and it becomes harder for anyone to steal. Just a thought. Putting in the steps the afternoon before the hunt is quick and easy.
We used to lock them...till some ***** cut down the perfect tree near 20" thick across the farmers fence cut below the stand and above to remove it...lot of work just to steal a damn stand...that kind of labour the piece of chit could have got a job and bought two....lol

It wasnt the stand so much...it was the perfect tree..with no others suitable within shooting range of there...

We had another hot stand between three nice trees...one evening I could smell something and looked under the outdoor carpet on the base and there were about 50 cigerette butts...so we took out the steps and put in the type that hang on bolt heads when you come in....smoker boy peed off at that cut two of the trees...another perfect stand lost...

Grrrrr...getting riled up just typing this...

Another time I drove over an hour out to the mountains...walked half hour into my stand and there's some idot sitting in it...well thats fine...I wasnt using it at the time...
So I politely informed him that ...that was my stand...had to work a Saturday just to pay for it and spend a lot of time scouting and finding the perfect place for it so I would like to sit there for the rest of the evening...
He proceeded to tell me to have sex and travel and that wasnt my stand...I was so mad I went back to the truck and grabbed my chainsaw...

I was halfway back to the stand...when I calmed down enough to rationize that someone could get extremely hurt or worst, as at the time I was going to cut the tree right out from under him....I decide it just wasnt worth it and just went home...

Regardless of what we do now days..stuff is gonna happen...be prepared for it and what your reactions are going to be...and the following consequence's

There are guys in jail for life down in the states because they can carry sidearms and have shot someone over crap like this...

25 years ago if you saw a stand...you left the area out of respect...
now some think if you see a stand its theirs to take..

Now with some trail cams being reasonable cost...we have and have to have eyes on the stands...

Neil
Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 PM

I prefer a good sized spruce tree. Pick a spot up in it 15-20' up and hang a lock-on. Pick and choose a way up using the limbs as steps.Make a nice clear path for raising and lowering your bow. This is the quietest set up you can make.If the branches are to small use climbing sticks. I will always choose the right tree rather than the heaviest used trail to set up on. Game will never see you up tucked in a spruce tree and no one else will see a stand tucked in the tree either. I set it up a few days before hunting it and never return to hunt till the wind is right. That could take days or even weeks.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:02 PM

I have 7 stands up already and will have couple more up in next few days. I do keep a couple in reserve for last minute adjustments as season progresses. You must be prepared to move if needed even if its late in year.
Keep shooting lane trimming to an absolute minimum and carry away any cuttings a fair distance and off trails. It is amazing how fast a deer can pick up on any changes to their area ( ie cutting)
I have my stands 12-16 feet up. The key is a good screen behind you so you arent siloutted and sticking out like a sore thumb. I too like spruce if I can find them. If using poplar trees I like finding a close together cluster so that the trunks help break up your silouette.I try putting stand in middle of clump. Keep in mind too your approach to the stand. You dont want to be walking along the trail the deer are using leaving your scent.

On the putting up a flag for deer to get used too Why would you want to let every deer in the area KNOW that something is different and not the same with some human flagging waving around " hey i'm over here deer" I would not recommend that in my opinion I want to keep area around stand as undisturbed as possible so as not to give the deer any inkling that I'm around.
By way deer have very good periferal vision their eyes are on side of head, slightly pertruded and they can see very well to a fair degree back
Gord