Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Its formulated with some fish oils in it believe it or not....

LC
There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.[4] However, the WD-40 web site states that it is a petroleum based product.[5]
mineral oil
Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
but there is many fishing related uses for the product. i guess the company could be considered irresponsible for suggesting these uses?
I would say so. I would be interested in how the stuff might damage gear over time as well.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
I would say so. I would be interested in how the stuff might damage gear over time as well.
I can't see how there should me any damage to gear mineral oil is fairly mild and all solvents are dispersed and dry off quickly. But i could be mistaken.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
I can't see how there should me any damage to gear mineral oil is fairly mild and all solvents are dispersed and dry off quickly. But i could be mistaken.
It is, but it is not 100% mineral oil, and coating your gear in it may cause damage over time in storage, depending on the materials in your gear, I would think....just not a chance I would take. Plus, the smell/taste that WD40 would leave on your terminal tackle might well chase off fish, too.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:11 AM
Banned

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

For more than twenty years of trolling on Lake Ontario, I have used WD40 successfully on lures off both downriggers and planer boards. I have lost count of the hundreds of salmon, steelhead and brown trout that have fallen for this unusual fish attractant. And, I am sure it's the WD40, as on numerous occasions, we've trolled the same areas as other anglers, using the very same lures, and our "secret weapon" has allowed us to outfish the others time and time again.

Don't think you have to worry about it chasing fish off. But the effect on the water is still something to think about and the posable damage to rubber and neoprene parts in gear could be a problem.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Banned

Horsetrader:
Is Lake Ontario nothing more than WD40 in one form or another. I found G96 to be more effective.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Horsetrader:
Is Lake Ontario nothing more than WD40 in one form or another. I found G96 to be more effective.
Lake Ontario is not to bad but I fished Lake Erie by preference not really into salmon and lakers.