Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2011, 10:19 AM

Default Policemans Flats

I have not been there for years. I know that it was flooded out a few years back and am wondering if there are picnic tables out there now? Was thinking of taking the family out for a BBQ and do some fishing as well. Speaking of fishing, my father in law and I have been out 10 times at 7 different places and have not had a nibble, are we doing something wrong? haha.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

What are you doing wrong?

Are you flyfishing? Or spin casting?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:16 PM

We are spin casting and use all sorts of lures, maybe they are the wrong ones lol. I did catch a doll that someone lost but my son threw it back in. There were a ton of people at Policemans and no place to bbq really so we went down by Natures Hideaway. Saw quite a few fish up close and lots grabbing bugs off the surface but they were not interested in what we were tossing out.

Last edited by wheresthefish; 10-23-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 PM

Blue fox vibrex, or as My friend likes to call it "black death"

Black bell black spinner. Works great for a variety of situations!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

Been there once the other night.

Had 2 nice trout on but they both earned their freedom.

For the Bow, Floating rapala's any colour, size 9-13.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the tips, I will add those to my box.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthefish View Post
We are spin casting and use all sorts of lures, maybe they are the wrong ones lol. I did catch a doll that someone lost but my son threw it back in. There were a ton of people at Policemans and no place to bbq really so we went down by Natures Hideaway. Saw quite a few fish up close and lots grabbing bugs off the surface but they were not interested in what we were tossing out.
one of my favorite holes is about 2 miles from were highwood meets bow.if you have waiters cross the highwood and walk i guarantee you will catch nice fish, for some reason the trout are bigger in that area,there are many spots on the bow were there isnt a person to be seen for miles,except people floating by me fly fishing. theres lots off spots to fish by yourself,

walking is key as i find more and more spots all the time as when im floating i am passing up on some great spots.but you always can row to shore and fish too but usually we all just keep going and pass up on hot spots.http://www.koppersfishing.com/products/smelt.php these new cranks are hot as i have been using them and have preformed way above my expectations, and another one i have been using this year is the cd9 bosd they are discontinued so i bought some off ebay and they catch me more trout on the bow than any thing i have thrown at them for years remove the red hooks.http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130521541882?...84.m1439.l2648

or pink and white buzzbombs, i remove the treble and put a single white barbless hook on have great success with these too.everyone has there favs this is just mine but those bosd cd9 rapalas are unreal.

and pls teach our young to take garbage out off are rivers as i always bring out more than i take in,if you can believe this i took out a mc donalds tray last time,errr some people. hope ive helped you out and good fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Banned

Smaller rapalas 5-7 original floater or countdown will work, take the front treble off. Bigger bait means a lot of lost fish on the bow, medium sized baits worked best for me. Put some quality line in 4-6lb test on ultralight and you'll have a lot of fun. Tiny fatraps are also killer crankbaits. Use single hooks instead of trebles, a lot easier to set the hook in moving water.

Good luck
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
Blue fox vibrex, or as My friend likes to call it "black death"

Black bell black spinner. Works great for a variety of situations!!!!!!!
nice.think im going to grab a few off them
Old 10-24-2011, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the tips. When i was out at Natures Hideaway I left with a garbage bag of junk I found along the shore. Also came out with half a bag of cans and bottles, haha those paid for the fuel.