Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-24-2014, 04:10 PM

Default Crossbow: any suggestions on make/model?

Looking at crossbows for maybe using during archery season. Know didly squidly about them. Any thoughts/recommendations on make or model be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:34 PM

Default archery

I was'nt aware they made crossbows legal for hunting during archery season this year.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:34 PM

You know that you can only do this with a disability permit from f&w, right?

Anyhow, not that I would ever condone anyone using one of those evil things (spit three times, spin in a circle clockwise, throw salt over shoulder) but...Excalibur seems to have the best reputation re: accuracy and durability . No idea on model, I have to leave the room when they are being discussed. Can't contaminate myself.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:37 PM

[QUOTECross-bows may not be used to hunt big game during archery-only seasons. The only exception is for an eligible handicapped hunter who has obtained a cross-bow licence.][/QUOTE]

From big game regulations.

I hope this is a joke..

Last edited by north american hunter; 07-24-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:39 PM

....lmao !!!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:39 PM

Excalibur.

Recurves might be a bit bulky, but it will take you 2 min to change the string in the field, if needed. You need a press to change the string on a compound.

Pretty accurate too. I used to hit the center of my block, give or take 2 inches, 80 yds with my Exomax, for target shooting. Hunting distance should not be farther than 40 yds.

Last edited by Fredo; 07-24-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:13 PM
Banned

Excalibur is a great crossbow mainly because it's a recurve and there are no pulleys, etc to deal with or worry about breaking. There are numerous different models to chose from and a couple of packages (ie scope, etc) that you can get with them. I'd look for a used one with the accessories included. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
[QUOTECross-bows may not be used to hunt big game during archery-only seasons. The only exception is for an eligible handicapped hunter who has obtained a cross-bow licence.]

From big game regulations.

I hope this is a joke..[/QUOTE]

True !!!...and you quite litterly have to have a missing limb to quailify..although they are changing slowly...I have had people with MS that could NOT draw a 40 lb bow let alone hold it steady...tried and was turned down for crossbow...another 82 year old gentlemen that couldnt draw and had artrithis...he was turned down...

We should point out to the Original poster that crossbows in archery in Alberta is Taboo...lol and esspecially mentioning it here lol

Although none will have any ill words for any one that is truely handicapped...and since the original poster didnt specify, he/she very well could be...

hunting is however also allowed in spring bear bow season [which is a rifle season]...and during any Rifle season anywhere...and also in primitive weapon seasons in the province...

Neil
Old 07-25-2014, 04:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I thought we hashed this one out last year and the year before...search topics and you will see some freakin hilarious shenanigans regarding the crossbow topic but there are answers there too unless you want to start 2014 WWIII. If the weather is bad outside this topic will light up!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-25-2014, 06:43 PM

Well sorry for wanting to chase elk during the rut during archery season like I have done for the past 20 years with a good friend of mine. I used a compound exclusively during that time and never frowned on anyone out enjoying the hunt be it with a recurve, traditional, compound or crossbow. Heck, I even hunted with guys who were using a rifle during archery only seasons and never once felt the need to belittle them.

Unfortunately, due to a medical issue, I am no longer able to draw and hold my bow and have a doctor's testimonial to that effect and was approved by F+W to use a crossbow during archery season. One does not need to be "noticeably handicapped" to be eligible for the authorization.

Thought I would ask on here for some recommendations which a few of the posters have given. Whether others approve of me using a crossbow during archery only seasons has little to no bearing on what I will do. I will proudly post pictures of any elk harvested this year with my crossbow so be forewarned not to open the thread if it upsets you.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Well sorry for wanting to chase elk during the rut during archery season like I have done for the past 20 years with a good friend of mine. I used a compound exclusively during that time and never frowned on anyone out enjoying the hunt be it with a recurve, traditional, compound or crossbow. Heck, I even hunted with guys who were using a rifle during archery only seasons and never once felt the need to belittle them.

Unfortunately, due to a medical issue, I am no longer able to draw and hold my bow and have a doctor's testimonial to that effect and was approved by F+W to use a crossbow during archery season. One does not need to be "noticeably handicapped" to be eligible for the authorization.

Thought I would ask on here for some recommendations which a few of the posters have given. Whether others approve of me using a crossbow during archery only seasons has little to no bearing on what I will do. I will proudly post pictures of any elk harvested this year with my crossbow so be forewarned not to open the thread if it upsets you.
Look forward to your field pictures with an Excalibur horizontal bow in them !
Old 07-26-2014, 10:08 AM

Dont mind the nay sayers John... go with a high end Exalibur and get a crank to take the work out of it.

Go with the Exalibur Matrix Mega 405 or the Matrix 380

Give those elk Hell!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:

You tell them!! I'll be looking forward to your story and pics myself, regardless of what you hunt with.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:08 PM

Two big thumbs up John...Good Luck !
Old 07-26-2014, 12:12 PM

John....I am a bow hunter (and a rifle hunter) and if there comes a day when I am unable to draw back a bow, and I can get a crossbow permit signed off....I will have no shame in using a crossbow legally during an archery season.

Good luck to you this year!

LC
Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 PM

...John....would be proud to hunt with you anyday. Wish you the best...any of us could find ourselves in the same.situation and have to join you...hope we hear more from you and your adventures and pass on your knowledge from your experiance...look forward to it!!!
Neil
Old 07-26-2014, 09:33 PM

..PS...John...Jim Morrison sang it best with singing "People are strange when you are a stranger"

Re-read my posts

Neil
Old 07-27-2014, 06:30 PM

As others have said, go with an Excalibur. Canadian made, simple due to being a recurve bow rather than one with 'training wheels' (ha, ha), and excellent warrenty / customer service.
If I replace my Phoenix model or add to the 'stable' I'd go for one of the Matrix models, likely either the 330 or 355 - a bit easier to draw, especially if you are of average height or shorter, or have a bad back!
You don't have to go with the highest poundage, although they may give you just a few yards more range. Even my Phoenix (175 lb.) will take down a moose or elk, I don't think it'd have a problem taking down a bison! It's all about shot placement within effective range anyway .

If you haven't looked at the Excalibur models, here's a website: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/

Get one and enjoy it . And if anyone looks at you 'funny' or derides you for it just tell 'em that real men use an Excalibur !
Old 07-27-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:

The little I know about crossbows( which is not much!) I have been told that Excalibur is the best out there, i have a few handicapped friends who hunt with them, and one ( mistagin ) not so handicapped that uses on in the regular season.

it's a bit funny to me, because I have shot dnaged near everything there is to shoot, and even used a bola and lariat at one time, but the thought has never crossed my mind to try a crossbow even when the time comes ( and it will very soon) that I cannot pull my 40# stick bow.
Nothing against those that hunt with them for sure, it's just not something I was ever into.
Good luck and good hunting in your quest John, I'm sure you will do alright with it!
Cat
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Absolutely you should. I actually think its harder to drag that crossbow around chasing elk than its worth. They are bigger heavier and bulkier than a compound when travelling through the bush. Not sure of your medical limitations but perhaps review the weight etc of the crossbows to ensure that you have one that you can handle during the hiking.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
Absolutely you should. I actually think its harder to drag that crossbow around chasing elk than its worth. They are bigger heavier and bulkier than a compound when travelling through the bush. Not sure of your medical limitations but perhaps review the weight etc of the crossbows to ensure that you have one that you can handle during the hiking.
Completely agree, used the horizontal in BC last spring spot and stock and not as user friendly as a vertical while putting on the miles.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 AM

And as great as the Xcalibers are most models are the heaviest and bulkiest out there..

There are many compact, super fast choices out there also...
Ten Point crossbows are readilly availible in Alberta
http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/shop/crossbows/

Neil
Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM

Check out the latest issue of Peterson's Hunting mag. They do an annual review of Crossbows. It is worth a look if you are interested in purchasing. Bring lots of $ if you want to buy their top recommendation though. Yikes!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Awesome to hear John, I know two fellas at work that have the same passion you have to bow hunt but issues with old hockey injuries in the shoulder area has them shooting crossbows now. Both got a medical note as you did and approval from F & W to hunt with crossbow during the archery season. Both settled for the Excalibre crossbows and have not had any issues. Best of luck with your new bow!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-28-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
And as great as the Xcalibers are most models are the heaviest and bulkiest out there..

There are many compact, super fast choices out there also...
Ten Point crossbows are readilly availible in Alberta
http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/shop/crossbows/

Neil
Acknowledging the "bulky" factor, I still give Excalibur the edge over compound crossbows. I like to maintain/take my stuff apart as much as I can myself. I have a press for my compound bows but it won't work on compound crossbows. Excaliburs can be taken down without a press.......for that they have me as a customer. Replacing a string takes a minute in the field. Their newer Matrix line is lighter and less bulky than other models. I mainly hunt from stands anyway.........so bulk is not that much of a concern.

JohninAB. I've got an Excalibur John. Very happy with it. If you're going to be chasing elk with one, sling it on your back like a rifle.........and beware of the limbs requiring more space to snake through whatever you're snaking through.

Going antelope hunting in Wyoming in a couple weeks...............taking my crossbow.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Awesome to hear John, I know two fellas at work that have the same passion you have to bow hunt but issues with old hockey injuries in the shoulder area has them shooting crossbows now. Both got a medical note as you did and approval from F & W to hunt with crossbow during the archery season. Both settled for the Excalibre crossbows and have not had any issues. Best of luck with your new bow!
Glad to hear they are relaxing that a little...in this entire area both F&W offices were strict even 2-3 years ago...if you didnt have a missing limb you were turned down...

Neil
Old 07-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Glad to hear they are relaxing that a little...in this entire area both F&W offices were strict even 2-3 years ago...if you didnt have a missing limb you were turned down...

Neil
Neil, That used to be the case but that has all changed now. As long as your injury is permanent, not repairable with surgery and a Medical Practitioner (Doesn't have to be a Doctor, could be a Physiologist, etc) signs the paperwork stating that you can't use traditional archery equipment, you should get approval.

I don't think that they will issue the permit due to being old and unable to draw the bow though.....Things like that.

The old criteria was absolutely ridiculous and, like you said, basically if you weren't an amputee, you weren't getting the permit. I'd like to see them bring even more common sense into it and eliminate the requirement for amputees, etc, to get a Doctor to sign off on the forms every 3 years. Afterall, his arm isn't going to grow back.

I think that would make a great AFGA resolution.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
JohninAB. I've got an Excalibur John. Very happy with it. If you're going to be chasing elk with one, sling it on your back like a rifle.........and beware of the limbs requiring more space to snake through whatever you're snaking through.
x2 I have the same model as ehntr, an Exomax, and IMO it is not something that you'd want to be carrying around if you plan on stalking. Besides the weight and bulkiness, your limbs will be hitting every branch and twig along the way and you'll be making a lot of noise getting to where you want to be. A crossbow is best suited for a treestand, ground blind or still hunting where you call the bull in to you.

With that in mind, bigger is definitely not better and I'd buy a smaller, less powerful crossbow over a big, powerful one.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:

While I agree with hunting with a crossbow for someone with a medical problem, allowing someone to hunt with a rifle during archery season is wrong. That person might as well hunt in the off season. Its illegal and poaching. You don't need to belittle them, you need to report them.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
While I agree with hunting with a crossbow for someone with a medical problem, allowing someone to hunt with a rifle during archery season is wrong. That person might as well hunt in the off season. Its illegal and poaching. You don't need to belittle them, you need to report them.
It's not illegal for Natives & Metis. When I hunt my moose in wmu 506 during the archery only season/rut the Natives are using rifles and I'm using a crossbow.