Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-01-2014, 06:03 PM

Default single pin sights? possibly switching from MBG to HHA

I am thinking of taking my Black Gold Ascent off my bow.. and putting on a HHA. Now with a single pin..... what is the best choice for pin size for going all the wayout there in time...yet still a pleasure to use for close stuff?.

----------------
My MBG Ascent has

Green .29
Green .29
Red .19
Green .10
Green .10

Currently i do believe...
----------------

Im all ears for a discussion on advantages on single pin used for hunting and disadvantages. I had the opportunity to try a single pin... like an HAA.. with the pin on top of the pin..... whereas my MBG pins cone from the sides. I find it easy for get on target faster and shoot with the single pin coming from the bottom.

Also i see there are lenses for them.. are those just for target? Or are they for huntingb applications as well?
Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 PM

Default Hhs

My vote would be .19
Old 08-01-2014, 06:33 PM

This is the one im thinking about

Old 08-01-2014, 07:58 PM

I use that exact sight on my M7. Really like it but I got AXT driver 1 for my X7 for more adjustability. Both are .19
Old 08-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Banned

I've had both the dial and the slider HHA's with the adjustable rheostat. They are super bright, I would go with 0.10 myself. I could not for the life if me get used to using a single sight proficiently on targets, couldn't imagine using one for hunting. Some people can, but most of my hunting is spot and stalk, lots of stuff happening all at once, chasing a herd bull that's trying to keep his herd away from me, lots of time on the move so when he stops I have to get the shot off ASAP.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I've had both the dial and the slider HHA's with the adjustable rheostat. They are super bright, I would go with 0.10 myself. I could not for the life if me get used to using a single sight proficiently on targets, couldn't imagine using one for hunting. Some people can, but most of my hunting is spot and stalk, lots of stuff happening all at once, chasing a herd bull that's trying to keep his herd away from me, lots of time on the move so when he stops I have to get the shot off ASAP.
Hmmmm. Thats for this post. Some thinking to do.. maybe just go one season with the MBG and see....
Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Hmmmm. Thats for this post. Some thinking to do.. maybe just go one season with the MBG and see....
I planted 2 Easton ACC's in a tree at Lawrence's house in one day shooting at 20yds then 80yds and back to 20yds but kept forgetting to adjust the sight. After that I started to second guess them for a hunting sight. I know a guy who swears by them but he does all his hunting from a tree with his longest shot being 30-40yds tops.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I planted 2 Easton ACC's in a tree at Lawrence's house in one day shooting at 20yds then 80yds and back to 20yds but kept forgetting to adjust the sight. After that I started to second guess them for a hunting sight. I know a guy who swears by them but he does all his hunting from a tree with his longest shot being 30-40yds tops.
Kev?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Kev?
Do you mean Kev W? I was talking about a guy from Pennsylvania, all his hunting is for whitetail there.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:56 PM

Default Sight

Quote:
I have caught myself doing the same thing, then add the element of excitement, and there could be problems.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:34 PM

I just bought that same exact sight from Lawrence and am getting used to it. My groups are tigher than ever but I am noticing the pin float a bit more with a single pin.

One thing to be aware of is that this sight is not compatable with most quivers and the ones that it can be used with need an adaptter/extension. I had to buy one from Lawrence for my tight spot to utilize the HHA sight

Your welcome to come a fling a few arrows at the farm to see if you like it before dropping 400 bucks for sight and extension
Old 08-02-2014, 12:04 AM
Banned

Seems like you are getting caught up in asthetics and technology.

Get out in the woods and get hunting.

The rest will fall in place.

Just some old man's advice.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Do you mean Kev W? I was talking about a guy from Pennsylvania, all his hunting is for whitetail there.
80lb APA Kev.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:03 AM

What Kurt505 says above thumbs up......For everyday target-plinking etc.... I would go with the single pin and .10 pin size, have.19 but found it a big large and too bright at times for distance and swapped out for the .10 and I have the HHA single pin so speaking from direct experience, I don't think you need the XL either, the normal 1"5/8? is fine with a .10 pin. For hunting, I agree with what some of the others are saying.....I would stick with a multi-pin, too many things can happen too quickly. I have the Axcel Amortech 4 pin sight and like the .29 as a top pin, and .19's below it...works well.

Last edited by swift1; 08-02-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:57 AM

Have the very sight you're inquiring about on my monster chill, agree with the comments on the .019 pin being too large. They are very bright pins and even with the rheostat covering all the fibres it still has a lot of starburst to it. Would definitely recommend the .010 pin. I also run the 2" housing and would now go 1 5/8" if I was to do it again.
I have the single pin CBE tek hybrid dovetail on my Alloy with the .019 pin and it almost seems to be a .010 pin in comparison to the HHA sight.
Also have a single pin Hogg Father with a .010 pin on an Energy 35 that I find to be the best sight of the three set ups. You will need a light on the Hogg Father for any low light conditions as it has very little fibre in comparison to the other two sights (this is the new Hogg Father with added fibre).
Obviously I am a fan of the single pin sights and have never found them to be an issue for hunting. Much prefer the open view through the sight and when walking and stalking I simply set my distance to 35 yards and shoot from there. If you have time to range an animal with your range finder then you have time to adjust your sight accordingly, they are very easy to adjust (especially the HHA). The sight tapes provided by all three companies are very accurate and easy to sight in.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:43 AM

Couple things to think about...
One is $$$$$$$$
Two ....when that bull Elk appears out of nowhere with steam blowing out its nose, but can't see you out of its bulging bloodshot eyes cause its so mad it wants to shove a royal point up yer hinny.....its hard to adjust a pin...lol

Neil
Old 08-02-2014, 10:51 AM

Lol Neil!!
Old 08-02-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Couple things to think about...
One is $$$$$$$$
Two ....when that bull Elk appears out of nowhere with steam blowing out its nose, but can't see you out of its bulging bloodshot eyes cause its so mad it wants to shove a royal point up yer hinny.....its hard to adjust a pin...lol

Neil
And in that moment it's just as easy to pick the wrong pin on a multi pin sight lol
Old 08-04-2014, 11:56 PM

Look at the trijicon archery sight. Uses the triangle for the end of the optics. Easy to pin point your point of aim. I have the HHA and I like it a lot but I have shot nothing but single pin since I started shooting 14 years ago so it is very easy and fluid for me to adjust and aim with it.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:31 AM

Anybody look at the single pin react sight by trophy ridge.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 08-05-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
And in that moment it's just as easy to pick the wrong pin on a multi pin sight lol
Can happen...have had them so close that entire sight ring covers kill zone...thats when your quivering fingers cant nock that arrow....lol

Neil
Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Can happen...have had them so close that entire sight ring covers kill zone...thats when your quivering fingers cant nock that arrow....lol

Neil
If your waiting until they're that close before you nock your arrow, your doing something wrong!

Last edited by Kurt505; 08-05-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
If your waiting until they're that close before you nock your arrow, your doing something wrong!
You Havent hunted ruttin elk much Huh....lol

Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 08-05-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:14 AM

Go with a CBE tek hybrid or Tek hunter 3-5 pin. Best of both worlds, multi pin from 20-60 yards and if you need more you can dial it. I used this site for a large portion of the outdoor 3d season, and it worked really well.

I know certain folks have mastered hunting with a single pin adjustable but for me it's multi pin all the way.

LC
Old 08-05-2014, 09:26 AM

I bought a MBG ascent ambush single pin last year and really like the sight. If your worried about having multi pins then you can buy a multi pin sight and just swap it out for your single pin for hunting. I have a 3 pin sight housing that I can put on for hunting. I have it sighted in for 20-40 yards and anything beyond 40 im not worried about moving my dial.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I am thinking of taking my Black Gold Ascent off my bow.. and putting on a HHA. Now with a single pin..... what is the best choice for pin size for going all the wayout there in time...yet still a pleasure to use for close stuff?.

----------------
My MBG Ascent has

Green .29
Green .29
Red .19
Green .10
Green .10

Currently i do believe...
----------------

Im all ears for a discussion on advantages on single pin used for hunting and disadvantages. I had the opportunity to try a single pin... like an HAA.. with the pin on top of the pin..... whereas my MBG pins cone from the sides. I find it easy for get on target faster and shoot with the single pin coming from the bottom.

Also i see there are lenses for them.. are those just for target? Or are they for huntingb applications as well?
Unless you changed your pins I believe you have .19/.19/.10/.10/.10
Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Go with a CBE tek hybrid or Tek hunter 3-5 pin. Best of both worlds, multi pin from 20-60 yards and if you need more you can dial it. I used this site for a large portion of the outdoor 3d season, and it worked really well.

I know certain folks have mastered hunting with a single pin adjustable but for me it's multi pin all the way.

LC
This is how his current ambush works.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Unless you changed your pins I believe you have .19/.19/.10/.10/.10
Ah yes.. thx mike
Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
This is how his current ambush works.
Then why change?

LC
Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 PM

Sticking with the 5 pin MBG Ascent... from all the advice. Hope everyone has a great season.. off work early. Gone to play with broadheads lol