Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Default what is a common fish found in the medicine hat alberta river thats good for bigginers and tips on how to ankle it

ive been going to the river for a few days now every day i havent got one bite im using sented minnows and spoons with a 10 pound line and a spinning reel is this a good set up ? and please anser me question above too thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady 2247 View Post
ive been going to the river for a few days now every day i havent got one bite im using sented minnows and spoons with a 10 pound line and a spinning reel is this a good set up ? and please anser me question above too thanks
Where are you fishing,?? What river?

I would try Back eddies and nice deep spots. Meduim to slow moving waters..

Also I would use #5 or 7 Rapala! Brown or rainbow design.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:11 PM

He is fishing the river in medicine hat, also known as the south saskatchewan river.

I believe pike and walleye are the fish to target there. Use spoons, jigs, pickerel rigs with frozen minnows(fake stuff doesn't work imo). 10 lb line is good and spinning reel is fine.

Yellow with red five of diamonds is a good spoon for pike. #1 size is decent.

Jigs work in all different sizes 3" tail is common though, would get heavier heads for casting distance and multiple tail colours to try out.

Rapalas work decent too although usually better out of a boat.

Target deeper slow moving pools and along weed beds if there are any.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:00 PM

The river has been hit or miss these last couple of weeks.The time of day you fish seems to be important lately.75% of the time your rod setup would work, but if you hook into a sturgeon its nice to have something a little bigger.I've seen lots of big sturgeon lost on 10lb line, but I've also seen lots landed. Keep trying you will figure it out.Good luck.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:04 PM

I agree with a bit more line strength, Ive been using 30 pound braid, you will catch a lot of different sized fish on it, and for a bigger sturgeon its probably the lightest you want to go. If you use worms for bait, you will catch a wide variety of fish, from chubs to goldeye to sturgeon, with minnows you will catch walleye pike sturgeon Goldeye and more, so its personal choice. Ive caught half of my sturgeon this year on worms, earlier in the season, now they seem to prefer minnows, although today I decided to up my chances and used a worm and a minnow both.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-12-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady 2247 View Post
use a dew worm on the bottom ...you will catch fish.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:51 PM

hey man a good spot at the river in the hat is , right down by the library, walk down the steep hill and there are some nice big rocks down there to sit on, use worms and minnows, I caught 3 sturgeon there and seen about 15 pulled out of there, , biggest was 52, but there are lots of walleye , goldeye and suckers , there as well,
good luck
keep ur bait on the bottom,
let me know if you go there how you made out,
Old 09-17-2011, 06:33 PM

haha ravcanoe i have two size one yellow with red dimond spoons i got at the outdoorsman but i havent tried them get i gotta try em

Tags
begginer, fishing, medicine hat, river