Old 06-27-2019, 03:50 PM

The author's name is Sam Pike!!!!!
Old 06-27-2019, 05:55 PM

and now it will be shoulder to shoulder at the creek.lol great catch though
Old 06-27-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
and now it will be shoulder to shoulder at the creek.lol great catch though
It's the look at me generation, when I was young all the guys I knew would be zipper lipped.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-27-2019, 06:15 PM

I'm already here and landed 4 in an hour!
Old 06-27-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
It's the look at me generation, when I was young all the guys I knew would be zipper lipped.
In fun... the only reason us old guys didn't get 'look at me' pics is we didn't have today's cameras.

Us old guys sit around the campfire and have stories about the big fish of yesteryear. Today's young guys silently sit around the camp fire and text pics of fish to each other from across the fire. No stories.

Nice to see a big pike caught by a young guy. Big pike in such a river or creek might indicate a healthy river system.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-27-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
I'm already here and landed 4 in an hour!
Were you fishing in town? I made a quick try yesterday evening and had 1 bite, didn’t see anyone catch anything and there were quite a few people around, news traveled quick.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 PM

Feeding off all the Carp in the creek
Old 06-28-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
yuppers i am still like that to this day.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Feeding off all the Carp in the creek
i didn't know the carp was into nose creek already, i know about that new community with the canals and all but the actual creek wow.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:31 AM
Banned

cool!
Old 06-30-2019, 08:30 AM

Super cool that they caught that fish in there - what a neat little spot. Unfortunately those guys put the time in, adventured out to somewhere off the beaten path, or even better - in the middle of a busy area that no one fishes often, and they do well! But then they let the info slip and that small body of water will be toast quick. All their hard work and other fishless days trying to find a new spot and they are back to square one - kinda a shame. Wonder if theyll do that again and let it out of the bag?
Old 06-30-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Super cool that they caught that fish in there - what a neat little spot. Unfortunately those guys put the time in, adventured out to somewhere off the beaten path, or even better - in the middle of a busy area that no one fishes often, and they do well! But then they let the info slip and that small body of water will be toast quick. All their hard work and other fishless days trying to find a new spot and they are back to square one - kinda a shame. Wonder if theyll do that again and let it out of the bag?
That monster pike is probably being fried up as we speak unfortunately.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
If you seen some kids got lucky and pulled a large pike out of a creek you would seek it out? Not me. Nor anyone I know. Most people would know it’s not a large pike factory. Just a once in a blue moon lucky catch. Doubt anyone will seek it out.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If you seen some kids got lucky and pulled a large pike out of a creek you would seek it out? Not me. Nor anyone I know. Most people would know it’s not a large pike factory. Just a once in a blue moon lucky catch. Doubt anyone will seek it out.
I have the same mentality as you but just like hunting has gut pile chasers there is not lack of fishermen who rush out to any location they have heard others got lucky
Old 07-02-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
He said in the article hes caught a few in there before around 37-40" and usually theyre around 20". Sounds just fine to me.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:24 AM

This is so cool especially living my whole life 2 miles from the creek. I remember catching tout at Split Rock" but that was in the 60's...

I wonder how he is catching them? Casting would be difficult. The only thing I can think of is a bobber and suspend your hook or a shiner on a jig head?

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
This is so cool especially living my whole life 2 miles from the creek. I remember catching tout at Split Rock" but that was in the 60's...

I wonder how he is catching them? Casting would be difficult. The only thing I can think of is a bobber and suspend your hook or a shiner on a jig head?

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks,
Just going by the pics and never being there it looks like there is lots of possible lure options

A big swimbait rigged weedless would give a good presentation that could be twitched along slow or burned along with little issues in most small sloughs/creeks giving versatility
Old 07-02-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Just going by the pics and never being there it looks like there is lots of possible lure options

A big swimbait rigged weedless would give a good presentation that could be twitched along slow or burned along with little issues in most small sloughs/creeks giving versatility
I suppose and use a log rod; say 8.5' as you can get 3/4's the way over the water.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I suppose and use a log rod; say 8.5' as you can get 3/4's the way over the water.
In tight quarters I prefer a short rod myself way easier to cast of flip a lure in awkward position. If you’re stubborn enough you can figure out how to work any body of water
Old 07-02-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
In tight quarters I prefer a short rod myself way easier to cast of flip a lure in awkward position. If you’re stubborn enough you can figure out how to work any body of water
Hahahahaha.....

Old 07-02-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
No, but im not talking about you, or me, or most likely anyone in this forum. But when you put it in a local paper or something to that extent youre going to put it out to the masses - and you know how that goes....
Old 07-08-2019, 01:40 PM

He posted a picture today on a different group I’m in, pike is still around, hopefully there are still a few in there, I saw a number of people there the day after the story in the local paper
Old 07-08-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
As a kid camping at the Gregg and McLeod River(more than 30 yrs ago), my uncle caught a pretty large pike. It was over 6 lbs. We figured it got there in high water and feasted on all the RMW fish. I have fished there every aug long forever and never seen another pike come out. People say the odd hammer handle is caught every few years but I have never seen it.

I sometimes float through the big hole on an air mat if no one is fishing and look down into the water with swim goggles and never see any pike in the pool either.

Be fun to hook a pike like that in the creek he was fishing, never expect one that size. Congrats to the fisherman.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:25 AM

Default I would never imagined it that would be in Airdrie

I would never imagined it that would be in Airdrie
Old 07-24-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
That monster pike is probably being fried up as we speak unfortunately.
No doubt.

The best part of that story for me read "we want to make sure we've got all the proper gear to hook the fish, land the fish, unhook it, get a nice photo, and put it back where it belongs" beautiful.

Someone taught those boys well, bravo whoever that was.