Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Beat me to it!

Cmon chucky, you have the info, now post the evidence. Note, no internet pictures of others please
Old 05-27-2020, 05:35 PM

Even I can get the Tapatalk app to post photos from my phone on AO

Now I just need to get out and catch some fish
Old 05-27-2020, 05:55 PM

https://imgur.com/lQgLMlW
My modified bobber so that I can spot it much easier
https://imgur.com/7TiBl7k
Small red wirworm size 10 hook but dont be afraid to up-size.
https://imgur.com/PON5WOy
A one man limit most of those whites were in the 3lb size range
Old 05-27-2020, 06:05 PM

Didn't work on IE but could see them on Chrome. Looks good!
Old 05-27-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd View Post
https://imgur.com/lQgLMlW
My modified bobber so that I can spot it much easier
https://imgur.com/7TiBl7k
Small red wirworm size 10 hook but dont be afraid to up-size.
https://imgur.com/PON5WOy
A one man limit most of those whites were in the 3lb size range
awesome thanks for sharing them!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-31-2020, 02:33 PM

Default The saga continues...

Well, I've been out a full day a week trying my darnedest to catch a lake whitefish and after 4 days worth of fishing, I am still without a bite. What gives? I've got my slip bobber set up with an egg sinker sandwiched between it and the swivel. I've tried wireworms, chironomids, caddis larvae, leeches, prince nymphs, damselfly nymphs, etc. and still not a take. I've adjusted my depths between 3 feet to 26 feet below the surface and not a bite. I've both slowly reeled and occasionally twitched the flies to ensure I'm connected to the flies and giving them life-like movement... and... still nothing. I've moved around the lake to find different depths, dips between land masses, dams, etc. and still nothing.

Anyone able to point a lake whitefish noobie in the right direction so he can catch one?

Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thank you so much!
Old 05-31-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
Well, I've been out a full day a week trying my darnedest to catch a lake whitefish and after 4 days worth of fishing, I am still without a bite. What gives? I've got my slip bobber set up with an egg sinker sandwiched between it and the swivel. I've tried wireworms, chironomids, caddis larvae, leeches, prince nymphs, damselfly nymphs, etc. and still not a take. I've adjusted my depths between 3 feet to 26 feet below the surface and not a bite. I've both slowly reeled and occasionally twitched the flies to ensure I'm connected to the flies and giving them life-like movement... and... still nothing. I've moved around the lake to find different depths, dips between land masses, dams, etc. and still nothing.

Anyone able to point a lake whitefish noobie in the right direction so he can catch one?

Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thank you so much!
You are not alone in the frustration, tried two times in the last two weeks with pretty much exactly the same setup and methods. Extra frustrating when you see others with what looks to be the same setup catching fish. One thing I did notice was some people did not have the egg weight and just the wireworm but I don't know how the wireworm alone is heavy enough to pull the line down through the bobber.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
You are not alone in the frustration, tried two times in the last two weeks with pretty much exactly the same setup and methods. Extra frustrating when you see others with what looks to be the same setup catching fish. One thing I did notice was some people did not have the egg weight and just the wireworm but I don't know how the wireworm alone is heavy enough to pull the line down through the bobber.

Guessing they might have been using a fixed depth setup since the wireworm wouldn’t be heavy enough to move line. Were they catching on this setup without an egg sinker? Is it possible we are missing subtle takes because the sinker changes what is felt at the bobber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Guessing they might have been using a fixed depth setup since the wireworm wouldn’t be heavy enough to move line. Were they catching on this setup without an egg sinker? Is it possible we are missing subtle takes because the sinker changes what is felt at the bobber?

Nope, I saw one setup very clearly and the wireworm was right against the bottom of the slip float as they were casting, they didn't even use a swivel to separate the wireworm and mainline.

I do wonder about the affect the sinker has on detecting strikes with the float. What size float are you using? I bought some 3/8" pencil and 1 1/8" oval Thill floats. Everyone seemed to be using the larger 1 or 1 1/8" ones and it was too windy to try with the pencils on the weekend. I think I might have had one brief tug as my float very briefly pointed a different direction against the wind but wasn't sure if that was a rogue wave.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:36 PM

I wonder that too, but some guys I’ve talked to who have limited out on whities are using 1/2oz sinkers to cast further and cover more water. They were using 5-6” Thills and some of the 1-1/8” Thills modified with other floats on top (some foam, some corkies, some specialized floats).

Old 06-01-2020, 10:30 PM

Hey Mtn, have you been tipping the w/w with maggots? In my experience, using bait is necessary for consistently catching whites. That said, my experience is mainly in rivers and creeks so ymmv.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post
Hey Mtn, have you been tipping the w/w with maggots? In my experience, using bait is necessary for consistently catching whites. That said, my experience is mainly in rivers and creeks so ymmv.

Hey Dielbo, thanks for reaching out. I’ve tried mealworms and maggots some but didn’t continue as it didn’t seem to make a difference. I’ll give it another go this week though. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2020, 04:40 PM

I always catch a few in the fall while fishing for pike and walleye deadsticking minnows. I've even caught a few giants from Keho on smelts one time. Right place right time I guess.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brovacs View Post
I always catch a few in the fall while fishing for pike and walleye deadsticking minnows. I've even caught a few giants from Keho on smelts one time. Right place right time I guess.

Really? On minnows?? That’s surprising!

Old 06-02-2020, 07:34 PM

Went to McGregor for shore fishing whites today. Long day starting from 7am till 1pm. Landed 10 whites, 1 walleye(released), a pike cut my line and stole my wireworm. Lost 6 whites. 18 bites totally

Old 06-02-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforjoy View Post
Went to McGregor for shore fishing whites today. Long day starting from 7am till 1pm. Landed 10 whites, 1 walleye(released), a pike cut my line and stole my wireworm. Lost 6 whites. 18 bites totally

Unreal! I need to learn from you!

Old 06-02-2020, 08:02 PM

Nice job. Beauty lookin whites buddy.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Never fished MacGregor for whites. Would you recommend North or south MacGregor?

Thanks,
Old 06-03-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman View Post
Never fished MacGregor for whites. Would you recommend North or south MacGregor?

Thanks,
Depend on the wind direction. Plus a little bit luck to pray for some fish close to shore. Empty handed is not unusual. Good luck!!
Old 06-03-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Depend on the wind direction. Plus a little bit luck to pray for some fish close to shore. Empty handed is not unusual. Good luck!!
How deep were you setting your wireworm?
Old 06-03-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
How deep were you setting your wireworm?
Set it to 7'
Old 06-03-2020, 06:10 PM

Cool thanks for the update. Were they more aggressive yesterday taking the worms as you reel back slowly or only when your float was sitting stationary? I think I got my setup right but trying to adjust my technique.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Cool thanks for the update. Were they more aggressive yesterday taking the worms as you reel back slowly or only when your float was sitting stationary? I think I got my setup right but trying to adjust my technique.
If there was no wind, retrieve slowly, very slow; otherwise let the float sits there waving by wind. Pay very close attention to the float, you have less than a second to set the hook, the white will spit out very quick.

Remember to keep the slack to a minimum otherwise very hard to have a good hookset.

Last edited by Fishingforjoy; 06-03-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:15 PM

Attach a small wire worm to a stick of TNT. Works every time.

Dodger.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:43 PM

And... it finally happened! So grateful to my fellow AO members for all the advice and suggestions. A special shout out to one AO member in particular (you know who you are) who met up with me today to correct my setup and show me some finesse techniques to get a bite (don’t worry... social distancing was in practice everyone )!

Got my first lake whitefish and will keep trying to perfect the technique and connect again with a fun fish to catch!

Old 06-04-2020, 07:38 PM

Awesome! Nice work. It only gets better from here.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:00 PM

I call this thread an AO win

Dodger
Old 06-04-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
And... it finally happened! So grateful to my fellow AO members for all the advice and suggestions. A special shout out to one AO member in particular (you know who you are) who met up with me today to correct my setup and show me some finesse techniques to get a bite (don’t worry... social distancing was in practice everyone )!

Got my first lake whitefish and will keep trying to perfect the technique and connect again with a fun fish to catch!

Congratulations!! Beautiful catch. You deserved it.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:

nice!

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-05-2020, 09:00 AM

Nice job, I'm really happy to see you finally got one.

I was at the causeway yesterday morning for 3 hrs and not a single bite so It's good to see you connected. congrats!