Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-11-2011, 01:57 PM

Default Whitefish

Are they stacking up yet?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofficer View Post
Are they stacking up yet?
yup theyre everywhere in the shallows now its like minnows in the spring but bigger. i got over 30 whites on the fly today at sylvan but nothin of size.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:26 PM

what fly are you using?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaintrudel View Post
what fly are you using?
size 12 BH water boatman. with a very fast and short retreve.
cronomids under a indacator wasnt working that great they were realy keying in on the boatmens since the whitefishs belly was well over 65% boatman and had some caddis in there. didnt see any scuds. but some big brown cronomids.

i was floating line on a 4wt 8.6
Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 PM

They were stacking up pretty nicely on the upper McCleod.

Last edited by Steven Noel; 09-11-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 PM

I hammered this weekend in a couple pools on a local river. They were stacked up and the whites were huge. I had a few that I thought were going to break my 4wt. I caught them on pheasant tails, hare's ears, and princes.

I will see if I can get the pictures loaded up from the weekend and try my hand at posting them on here. It was a big weekend for firsts in my family.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Banned

Default whites

what is a good bet for getting some whites on spinning gear?

small spinners? float and a fly?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
what is a good bet for getting some whites on spinning gear?

small spinners? float and a fly?
i would use a curly tail grub. A small one.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM

Default water boatman v.s backswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
size 12 BH water boatman. with a very fast and short retreve.
cronomids under a indacator wasnt working that great they were realy keying in on the boatmens since the whitefishs belly was well over 65% boatman and had some caddis in there. didnt see any scuds. but some big brown cronomids.

i was floating line on a 4wt 8.6
are water boatman and backswimmer the same thing, or any difference? I observed quite lots of beetle liking bugs in the lake, but don't what bugs they are.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit1987 View Post
are water boatman and backswimmer the same thing, or any difference? I observed quite lots of beetle liking bugs in the lake, but don't what bugs they are.

Thanks
They are related but the boatman don't bite, hence why fish will eat them and stay away from backswimmers. So if you tie your own boatman patterns, don't use a light colored back as it'll look like a backswimmer. I just learned this the other day but I don't tie my own flies (yet) to be 100% certain.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
They are related but the boatman don't bite, hence why fish will eat them and stay away from backswimmers. So if you tie your own boatman patterns, don't use a light colored back as it'll look like a backswimmer. I just learned this the other day but I don't tie my own flies (yet) to be 100% certain.
Thanks for your reply. You mean fish tell the difference and stay away from backswimmer. it's amazing nature thing.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit1987 View Post
Thanks for your reply. You mean fish tell the difference and stay away from backswimmer. it's amazing nature thing.
no because theyre mixed in all togther. they arnt gonna swim out of there way to bite you
Old 09-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Do you have to use fly hooks to catch them at this time of the year? Will they hit anything else like spinners
Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblackfx4 View Post
Do you have to use fly hooks to catch them at this time of the year? Will they hit anything else like spinners
the aggresive ones will hit spoons and swallow it other wont even look at it but the best way to get them on is flies.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 AM

Tried the docks at sylvan last night. Buddy and i only had spinners though cause he forgot his box at home. He had two on but lost them. I'm assuming small spinners are not the best for whites? Where can i find a nice sandy bottom on sylvan or gull? Seems like everywhere its weeds.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 AM

Is it an early morning, late evening only thing, or they stay active during the dat this time of a year?
I fished for them just before ice season ended and they would not bite in the middle of the day
Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 AM

First ice last year it was an all day thing, I will be doing my first attemps at soft water lake whites at thanksgiving. In May long I was seeing them in the shallows at mid day as well but no white fish gear up at the cabin ... yet.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishzilla View Post
Tried the docks at sylvan last night. Buddy and i only had spinners though cause he forgot his box at home. He had two on but lost them. I'm assuming small spinners are not the best for whites? Where can i find a nice sandy bottom on sylvan or gull? Seems like everywhere its weeds.
did you go at the lighhouse? because the new guy that owns it is a douc*ebag and you find sandy bottoms at sylvan everywhere theyre is swimming areas like lakeshore drive. norglenwold ect.
try wire worms or flies
Old 09-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
did you go at the lighhouse? because the new guy that owns it is a douc*ebag and you find sandy bottoms at sylvan everywhere theyre is swimming areas like lakeshore drive. norglenwold ect.
try wire worms or flies
We were at sunbreaker cove and it sucked pretty bad but the weather was garbage also. So your saying the best place would probably be right on the main drag in the city?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishzilla View Post
We were at sunbreaker cove and it sucked pretty bad but the weather was garbage also. So your saying the best place would probably be right on the main drag in the city?
yeah if you walk along the peir in the morning you can see lots of them. get some waders and fly fish the beaches
Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
yeah if you walk along the peir in the morning you can see lots of them. get some waders and fly fish the beaches
Thanks! will report results when i can make it out there.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
x2 boatman have dark backs..unsure of of the theory but have heard this is correct.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 PM

I've only caught whitefish accidentally (mostly perch fishing) but have been reading the forum with interest to learn the ways of the seasoned whitefish experts out there. Any advice for a successful 1st trip for a whitefish newbie based out of Edmonton?