Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-14-2011, 01:41 PM

Default ICE 385ci Combo question

Does anybody have Humminbird ICE 385ci, could you please share you impressions on this unit (winter use mainly)?

I am going to buy my first fish finder (flasher) for ice season this year and really need some advice.
So far after a lot of reading it seems to me that LX-5 is the favorite for flashers, but I am looking at Humminbird ICE 385ci too.

Good thing is that Humminbird ICE 385ci comes with a GPS and can be used during the summer (eventually as I have no boat yet).
But I am not sure how good 20/60 degree beam would for the deeper water in winter. Any other drawbacks?
Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 PM

I think that unit must be new for this year, so I don't think you'll find too many reviews on it. Looks like it would be a nice little unit, comparable to the X-67 from Lowrance. There really isn't a bad flasher out there anymore, I've fished beside most of them now, and they are all good, just gotta find the one that you like the best, and learn to use it properly.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 PM

the 385ci is awsome

I use it ice fishing and it works well......even the gps the maps are cool you can see the depths......

and when you get a boat you can get a lake transducer and use it all year long.....

were are you located?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:44 PM

Last year Humminbird had a pre Christmas special mail in offer for an open water transducer when you bought the portable 385ci-ice. At just over 400 bucks, with dual beam, colour and mapping GPS, It's probably hands down the best all round bang for your buck, entry level sonar that you can buy right now. A little small for my old eyes if you split the screen but still a fine unit.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Last year Humminbird had a pre Christmas special mail in offer for an open water transducer when you bought the portable 385ci-ice. At just over 400 bucks, with dual beam, colour and mapping GPS, It's probably hands down the best all round bang for your buck, entry level sonar that you can buy right now. A little small for my old eyes if you split the screen but still a fine unit.
I had the chance to try one....and i agree its a nice concept, but the screen is too small for me...and the battery didnt last.
In fairness i believe a knowledgable user could extend battery life.
I will stay with a marcum on the ice with a lowrance gps in my breast pocket for now.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
I had the chance to try one....and i agree its a nice concept, but the screen is too small for me...and the battery didnt last.
I will stay with a marcum on the ice with a lowrance gps in my breasts pocket for now.
nice hahaha..............
Old 09-14-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
the 385ci is awsome

were are you located?
I am in Calgary.
I've only went to PCR, McGregor and Travers last winter but I hope to explore more this season - so want a unit that will cover most of the situations here.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
I will stay with a marcum on the ice with a lowrance gps in my breast pocket for now.
I wouldn't give up my LX-5 either but for someone who is just buying their first sonar the 385ci-ice with an open water transducer would be a great start. That said: I am going to get an LX-7 this season to try. The db Showdown may have to go to make room. I hear they will be available very soon. Should be very cool. I love Marcum products.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
I am in Calgary.
I've only went to PCR, McGregor and Travers last winter but I hope to explore more this season - so want a unit that will cover most of the situations here.
The Navionics chart for Travers is quite impressive. Unfortunately the Humminbird has a virtually non-existent map for Canada. All it shows is a giant yellow screen, no shorelines unless you get the Navionics chip. Still a nice little unit. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Basspro has it for 499, not 400. They still offer a second transduser as a mail-in rebate

The only place I can find it for ~400$ is ebay from the US - is that what you mean?
Do I have to pay much to custom in dues and such if I do that?
Never bought anything here from States
Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 PM

I was thinking about the base unit which is just over 400. bucks. You're right the portable is more.