Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 PM

Default Best Hike-in fishing?

I'm looking for a few hikes to do this summer, looking at anything under 7km, as I will be taking some people not so familiar with overnight back packing.

I've been to picklejar lakes a few times so I don't want to do it again, I will be hiking in on the weekday to avoid most people.

The first hike I've thought about is Lillian lake/Galatea lakes. any info would be great.

Other suggestions would be great, also would like to fish a lake that may produce fish in the 10-16" range more often. Picklejar is great for catching but definatley lacks in size.

Thanks guys and gals

I've added a picture of the biggest fish I've got out of pickle jar, measured 12" on the dot, for those who have been up there, that is a big fish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 184117_10150751799560564_574695563_20406756_5289987_n.jpg (130.0 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by codywf; 03-05-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Banned

im guessing you are talking alberta, but if you are up for a drive before a hike, then flyfish lakes southeast of vernon bc is the best ive ever seen or heard of. the better lake is just south of doreen lake on the aberdeen lake road. about a 2 km hike is all, and the rainbows are huge and hungry. 30 plus fish days were nothing to get excited about and 50 fish days were attainable. the best part...they average around 5 pounds up to 15. no bs....its that good.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM

definitely alberta, but that sounds amazing!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 PM

Rawson Lake is nice once you get up there. I also enjoyed Window Mountain Lake (easier hike that Pickle Jar), and Barnaby Ridge (Southforks) Lake this summer, where I caught my first Golden Trout.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 PM

Elbow lake in K country, steep 1.8km, (small)but plentiful and tasty brook trout. Nice campground with bear boxes etc
Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Rawson Lake is nice once you get up there. I also enjoyed Window Mountain Lake (easier hike that Pickle Jar), and Barnaby Ridge (Southforks) Lake this summer, where I caught my first Golden Trout.
Edit: I'm not sure about camping at Rawson.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Banned

Cool

hay folks while there is a hike in thread any one got info on any lakes in waterton area.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Edit: I'm not sure about camping at Rawson.
no camping at Rawson
Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 PM

Lilly Lake in Slave Lake Provincial Park? Brook Trout. Bring an inflateable. 2 or 3 km hike
Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 PM

rawson is pretty decent and you can catch a fairly good fish sometimes (my best is 19 there), lillian can be hit and miss as most mountain lakes are in my experience. Chester has often been good to me, caught a number 13-15 inches last time I was there before I was chased off by a big boar grizz without fear of people.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
hay folks while there is a hike in thread any one got info on any lakes in waterton area.
Waterton has plenty of good hike in lakes some of my favorites are wall, forum, And crypt. Just stop at the info center on your way down the hill into the townsite and they have lots of good info, just don't forget your parks licence and no lead.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 AM

My son and nephew went up to Rainy Ridge Lake a few years back for golden trout. Hard hike tell ya that. And grizz to boot. Take a shotgun and bear spray. I ain't no billie goat so I never went up.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 03-06-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:54 AM

Allstones Lake past Nordegg is a fun hike. It's only about 5-6km but it's uphill nearly all the way. But nice views of Abraham Lake along the way. Primitive campsite at the lake. Brookies are mostly small but there might be some surprises. I've had one stellar day there and I've also been humbled there too.

Cheers.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Banned

anyone know if big iron still holds grayling in k-country....or i guess has them again? thats a nice hike, but i know it winter killed a few years ago. i havent been there in a long time.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 AM

I've hiked up to Lillian, spent 3 days in my float tube up there and had great success trolling an orange wooly worm on sinking tip line. I probably averaged 40+ fish per day out in the middle while the scout troop that was also out there was catching maybe 1 or 2 from shore. The water was crystal clear and you could see all the fish right to the bottom. Take a float tube if you can!

The hike is all up hill but worth it. A nice place to camp and some good spots to hang a hammock. It shouldn't be too busy during the week unless there happens to be a scout troop there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lillian lake cutthroat.JPG (122.5 KB, 192 views)
Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agb Crash View Post
Elbow lake in K country, steep 1.8km, (small)but plentiful and tasty brook trout. Nice campground with bear boxes etc
Bit of a hike up but it's short. Nice small campground there. And if you want to go a bit further afield just continue on to Tombstone. It's an easy hike from elbow lake to tombstone campground, and then perhaps 45 minutes up a moderate hill to the lake.

Running Rain lake has a bit of a steep pitch to start, but it's short. Then not too bad. For this and a lot of other lakes to the west of highway 40 I believe you have to ford the Highwood. It's do-able, but cold.

Loomis is good but sometiems isn't open until July, and it's a grunt. About 26 km round trip.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by falroy View Post
Waterton has plenty of good hike in lakes some of my favorites are wall, forum, And crypt. Just stop at the info center on your way down the hill into the townsite and they have lots of good info, just don't forget your parks licence and no lead.
is getting a float tube to crypt doable, noticed it on map looks like a challenge. which makes it worth the climb.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
is getting a float tube to crypt doable, noticed it on map looks like a challenge. which makes it worth the climb.
Crypt is a longer hike but not to difficult and you can get your float tube up there mine fits inside my hiking pack. Unfortunately I just read that you may not be allowed to camp at the lake anymore, but can still camp at the trail head.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 PM

Picklejar lakes is decent. Nice hike in. Take the bear spray and bangers. They can be up there though I haven't run into one. Seen fresh tracks though. Hike in from Lantern Creek Day Use Area.

Fortress Lake is a beaut too. But much harder to get to since the Ski hill road is closed. You can hike up the road for 12 k or try to take an offshoot on the Lillian Lake trail (might want a gps for that trip).
Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
Allstones Lake past Nordegg is a fun hike. It's only about 5-6km but it's uphill nearly all the way. But nice views of Abraham Lake along the way. Primitive campsite at the lake. Brookies are mostly small but there might be some surprises. I've had one stellar day there and I've also been humbled there too.

Cheers.
Second on Allstones, took scouts up there a couple years ago had a great time, tough hike

Chris
Old 03-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Default See you at the lake

Headwall, Chester, Rummell, Lillian, Tombstone (stay overnight or cycle in for the day), Rawson, Ribbon, (I never catch anything at picklejar or Elbow :P ) ... I frequent them all and luv to fish them all. You can camp at Kananaskis Lakes or Spray, so if your calves kill on the 2nd day, you can shore fish the in/outlets.... look for the girl in the ballcap with the fish on
Old 03-06-2012, 03:57 PM

The mtn lakes dont tend/seem to have the big fish b/c the season is so short. I have packed my fish out in snow from headwall in july ....
Smuts was a good lake too .. can only keep one over 42, but you will catch a lot.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 PM

Default Waterton

Quote:
I went to Wall Lake a few yrs ago ... you will need a BC licence... I didnt bring my rod with me, and should have ... lotsa fish... not a lot of ppl...If you love to scramble, you can take Akamina ridge back to the trail head. VERY WINDY!!

I like the hike to Crypt, it is exciting, but never fished there. You will be with 2 boat loads of flip-floppers though ... :P

And if you are camping, I recommend Crooked Creek campsite... its out of the park, just up the hwy a couple of km. The guy running it is great! And pricing is prob more reasonable than in the park. I stayed there when they had a monthly BBQ for the seasonal campers, and they invited me, fed me, and were fun!!

I love to fish the Oldman reservoir while Im down there.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:25 AM

I'm planning on hiking up to a lake for fishing this weekend with a couple buddies. We are going to take a float boat up with us. I understand Elbow Lake and Running Rain Lake are easier hikes. Still good fishing here in 2019? Should we attempt something else?
Old 07-25-2019, 08:22 AM

6 Hike-in trout lakes are Mayan, Mary Gregg, Marigold, Parker, Silkstone and Horseshoe.
Here is the link to information on 75 Northern Alberta Trout Lakes including those 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mhdk6iuot...5WlI6n18a?dl=0
Old 07-25-2019, 08:30 AM

Default Links to Fishing Apps

Add Lily to that list
Old 07-25-2019, 09:33 AM

I can help you so message me with details such as how far you want to hike, do you want to stay overnight , what part of the province and even species your after ?
Old 07-26-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
I'm planning on hiking up to a lake for fishing this weekend with a couple buddies. We are going to take a float boat up with us. I understand Elbow Lake and Running Rain Lake are easier hikes. Still good fishing here in 2019? Should we attempt something else?
Both easy hikes, but you won't need a float tube at Running Rain - you can just about cast across the whole lake where the fish typically hold.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:25 PM

There is a lake beside ram mountain its about a 5 km hike in . I forget the the name but a few hike in every year and say the fishing is really good in the early hrs of the morning .
Old 07-27-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
There is a lake beside ram mountain its about a 5 km hike in . I forget the the name but a few hike in every year and say the fishing is really good in the early hrs of the morning .
Gap Lake

BW