Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2020, 09:57 AM

Default Rod or reel which is more important ??

Hey guys. I was having a discussion with a friend yesterday about rod and reel combos. He was saying that he uses $350 reels on $100 dollar rods. Where as I match the rod price to the reel price best I can. I asked him his reasoning. He said without a good solid drag and a good reel any setup is useless. Whats your opinion?
Old 04-18-2020, 10:09 AM

All depends on what you are fishing for

Smaller species with a light bite the rod is way more important because I have no concern of them giving the reel a work out

Larger species that do long hard runs the reel is more important. When I did a lot of salmon fishing I would burn out the gears on sub pare reels

Fly fishing the rod is more important because of the cast. The reel to me is a line holders for the most part because I strip in most fish

Honestly most fishermen overthink their rod and reel combination
Old 04-18-2020, 10:11 AM

For me, fishing in Alberta, both are equally as important
Old 04-18-2020, 10:15 AM

I guess it depends on what kind of fishing you’re doing. If you’re finesse fishing / jigging light baits and going for panfish then you might find it more important to have a high end, very sensitive rod. If you’re specifically targeting something like large pike, a great drag system on a reel would probably be more important.

Personally I usually spend a bit more on the reel than the rod. Usually $100-150 on a rod and $150-250 on a reel. You can get quite good rods like st croix premiers on sale in the low hundred dollar range. Whereas in my opinion the reels in that price range aren’t as high end as the rods. Need to spend a bit more on reels to match it to the quality of the rod.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

Smaller species with a light bite the rod is way more important because I have no concern of them giving the reel a work out

Larger species that do long hard runs the reel is more important. When I did a lot of salmon fishing I would burn out the gears on sub pare reels

Fly fishing the rod is more important because of the cast. The reel to me is a line holders for the most part because I strip in most fish

Nailed it in my opinion.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:

X2
Have a couple different set ups. Light to heavy rods and reels.
Old 04-18-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
I guess it depends on what kind of fishing you’re doing. If you’re finesse fishing / jigging light baits and going for panfish then you might find it more important to have a high end, very sensitive rod. If you’re specifically targeting something like large pike, a great drag system on a reel would probably be more important.

Personally I usually spend a bit more on the reel than the rod. Usually $100-150 on a rod and $150-250 on a reel. You can get quite good rods like st croix premiers on sale in the low hundred dollar range. Whereas in my opinion the reels in that price range aren’t as high end as the rods. Need to spend a bit more on reels to match it to the quality of the rod.
This ^

there’s two different concepts here. Cost and importance. You need to spend more to get a good reel, but having a good rod is more important.

$100 reels will fall apart by themselves. $100 rods can and often do work perfectly. Reels simply cost more to make well, and you need to look at and understand specs to know what you are getting.

Which is more important? In Alberta: The rod. Casting, detecting bites and absorbing shock is far and away more important to get fish in the boat.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:51 PM

Matching the both is the key that will meet your skills and needs. You wouldn’t put ****ty radials on a Lamborghini. You wouldn’t put P Zero’s on a Kia.

Low end with low end. Mid range with mid range. High end with high end. Also balancing reel size, rod capability, with intended lure weight, and primary angling technique would be paramount. Even more critical in fly fishing.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:43 PM

Generally, I would put the most money into:

Reel if used for trolling or sensitivity is not an issue.

Rod if fly fishing or where sensitivity is required.

It doesnt matter if it is low end equipment or high end.

This is what I do.

However if you have unlimited amounts of money then it wouldnt matter you could do both.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 04-18-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:33 PM

Neither are as important as mental attitude and approach to the sport. If you think you're going to catch more fish just because you went out and bought a $1000 rod and reel combo compared to say, a $300 combo, you're probably going to be sadly disappointed. However, for the pleasure of casting, as in fly fishing, the rod is way more important 'cause the reel can simply be a line storage unit.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Neither are as important as mental attitude and approach to the sport. If you think you're going to catch more fish just because you went out and bought a $1000 rod and reel combo compared to say, a $300 combo, you're probably going to be sadly disappointed. However, for the pleasure of casting, as in fly fishing, the rod is way more important 'cause the reel can simply be a line storage unit.
Lot of wisdom there.

These days I find I'm more looking for something that will do the job and not make me cry when the kids step on it, lose it overboard, throw it in the sand etc. etc. lol.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:55 AM

I tend to put a little more into the reel side myself but as said a lot depends on the type of fishing. From my own many years of experience and managing a fishing store for a while I would definitely say never buy a cheap reel. If you catch larger fish on them you will kill them in no time and sometimes especially bait casting reels your enjoyment level will be low or even frustrating.
For rods I have never gone extreme but have had the opportunity to use some of the very expensive and they are sweet. Keep in mind many are high carbon content and the downside is they can break easily though way more sensitive. Manybused to bring them in to me in pieces not understanding how a 500 rod could break on a snag as example.
Working retail for many years not just fishing I always tell people never buy anything that is the cheapest as it is usually junk and it will get expensive because you will end up going out to buy what you should have in the first place so will actually be more expensive.
Top of the line products usually have a little better builds but more often than not they are just the same as the mid grades with a little glitz and minor things. They are made more for the customer that only buys the so called best and usually have the highest markup too because those ccustomers dont about price they just want to own it for bragging rights.
My take as a former retail manager and product buyer is to always buy the middle of the road to upper middle quality. That is where the best value is and many times you are getting pretty much the same quality and features as the best out there.
As always though buyer beware as they say.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Agreed. I would also say that the size and weight of the intended presentation are important too. Fishing big lures with a lot of drag can wear a flimsy reel out pretty quickly.

Last edited by Bushleague; 04-19-2020 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I tend to put a little more into the reel side myself but as said a lot depends on the type of fishing. From my own many years of experience and managing a fishing store for a while I would definitely say never buy a cheap reel. If you catch larger fish on them you will kill them in no time and sometimes especially bait casting reels your enjoyment level will be low or even frustrating.
For rods I have never gone extreme but have had the opportunity to use some of the very expensive and they are sweet. Keep in mind many are high carbon content and the downside is they can break easily though way more sensitive. Manybused to bring them in to me in pieces not understanding how a 500 rod could break on a snag as example.
Working retail for many years not just fishing I always tell people never buy anything that is the cheapest as it is usually junk and it will get expensive because you will end up going out to buy what you should have in the first place so will actually be more expensive.
Top of the line products usually have a little better builds but more often than not they are just the same as the mid grades with a little glitz and minor things. They are made more for the customer that only buys the so called best and usually have the highest markup too because those ccustomers dont about price they just want to own it for bragging rights.
My take as a former retail manager and product buyer is to always buy the middle of the road to upper middle quality. That is where the best value is and many times you are getting pretty much the same quality and features as the best out there.
As always though buyer beware as they say.
Agree 100% with Calgarygringo. Although I am not a retail manager I am a user and tend to go that way.
I am sure that high end rods and reels doesn't bring fish to you. But I agree that a good technique with middle range rod and reel could be very successful compare to high end rod and reel without technique. Sometimes fishing is also purely luck and a cheap rod and reel bring more fish.
Season is opening soon for many and Please be sure follow the rules and the latest social distancing. I personally don't want to see that some people's stupidity don't bring the fishing season down. Cheers
Old 04-19-2020, 11:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

reel....you can strap a good quality reel on a willow and catch literally any species of fish.....I also put a lot into line...especially now with the quality products on the market.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-19-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
reel....you can strap a good quality reel on a willow and catch literally any species of fish.....I also put a lot into line...especially now with the quality products on the market.
I want to see you land a big white sturgeon on a willow lol
Old 04-19-2020, 11:38 AM

Wink

Quote:
I want to see you land a big white sturgeon on a willow lol
we just grab them by the bottom lip.....no willows needed.

598.jpg

Old 04-19-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
we just grab them by the bottom lip.....no willows needed.

Attachment 163003
Years ago my dad actually caught one with his hands no BS

Let me guess that one is around 7 and change
Old 04-19-2020, 04:23 PM

I'll admit that I am biased, because I build rods as a hobby. I don't buy el-cheapo rods, but I put my money first into reels. Cost ratio is 4-5:1 over the rod cost. Why?

Other than true custom rods, the manufacturer skimps on at least one, and sometimes 2 guides; regardless of weight, regardless of length. Look at any rod building guide to see the number of guides the rod should have.

Other than true custom rods, for the price the retailer is asking, the quality of the guides used is generally substandard.

Other that the el-cheapo rods and true custom rods, rod blanks are generally equal quality, regardless of price.

There are people out there who buy a $500 MI6 graphite rod, treat it like sh*t, and don't understand why it breaks. I know this because this is my biggest business sector, fixing rods.

Only buy quality graphite rods if you commit to babying them. Always travel with them cased, and wrapped in some protective cloth. I use 6' to 8'-4" white PVC with a full cap on one end and a screw-on cap on the other. I carry 4-6 rods per case, and roll them one-by-one into an old bedsheet. I've never damaged a rod, and I've driven, flown and fished all over North America.

Graphite rods are not then end-all-and-be-all of rods for all types of fishing. I prefer a composite rod for trolling for lake trout, and a medium-heavy fibreglass one-piece rod for large northerns. My walleye rod is graphite. I have all three types of fly rods.

Of all the manufacturers out there at Cabelas, Bass Pro, Fishing Hole and others, my first rod choice for a starting angler/recreational angler would be an appropriately sized Ugly Stik. I probably own 6 different Ugly Stiks, and use them a lot.

Vic
Old 04-20-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Years ago my dad actually caught one with his hands no BS

Let me guess that one is around 7 and change
Just o er 8' was the smallest of the seven we caught....9'10" was the largest....it broke the willow branch

Old 04-20-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Just o er 8' was the smallest of the seven we caught....9'10" was the largest....it broke the willow branch
You guys had a great day for size if you’re smallest is an 8+ft. I found 4-6ft are the common size and 7+ is when I start calling them a good size

9’10 is a gooder I have a lot of years on that river and my Dad was one of the first to start tagging with the old disk tags long before the fancy chip tags. My personal best is just shy of 11ft but my dad had one in his tagging records that was 16’1. My dad was a sturgeon nut when he lived in the lower mainland to the point him and fish buddies had a rod with a bell set out during night shifts at the mill. As a little kid I used to sleep in the bottom of the boat and wake up to reel in the kid size sturgeon

Grew up building a lot of memories fishing white sturgeon. I have had them break a few rods stronger then a willow stick over the years lol
Old 04-20-2020, 11:01 AM

Wink

Quote:
You guys had a great day for size if you’re smallest is an 8+ft. I found 4-6ft are the common size and 7+ is when I start calling them a good size

9’10 is a gooder I have a lot of years on that river and my Dad was one of the first to start tagging with the old disk tags long before the fancy chip tags. My personal best is just shy of 11ft but my dad had one in his tagging records that was 16’1. My dad was a sturgeon nut when he lived in the lower mainland to the point him and fish buddies had a rod with a bell set out during night shifts at the mill. As a little kid I used to sleep in the bottom of the boat and wake up to reel in the kid size sturgeon

Grew up building a lot of memories fishing white sturgeon. I have had them break a few rods stronger then a willow stick over the years lol
ooop's memory came back one sturgeon was around the 4' mark.....reeled it in like nothin' compared to the others....the reels sure got a work out and the rods where solid one piece....guide said only ever had one snap on them....

still put more into the reels but in combination with the rod/line and species targeted...some people got a boat full of rods.....it's a sickness

Old 04-20-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
ooop's memory came back one sturgeon was around the 4' mark.....reeled it in like nothin' compared to the others....the reels sure got a work out and the rods where solid one piece....guide said only ever had one snap on them....

still put more into the reels but in combination with the rod/line and species targeted...some people got a boat full of rods.....it's a sickness
What the guides use for sturgeon rigs these days are far beyond the jigging rod and mooching reel I started with as a kid lol
Old 04-20-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
Other that the el-cheapo rods and true custom rods, rod blanks are generally equal quality, regardless of price.
I'd be really interested in seeing some specific examples of this, or some more detail explaining exactly what you mean by "equal in quality". Let's just say I'm skeptical, but I do have an open mind.

Quote:
Only buy quality graphite rods if you commit to babying them. Always travel with them cased, and wrapped in some protective cloth. I use 6' to 8'-4" white PVC with a full cap on one end and a screw-on cap on the other. I carry 4-6 rods per case, and roll them one-by-one into an old bedsheet. I've never damaged a rod, and I've driven, flown and fished all over North America.
Taking care of you rods is really important, if you're going on fly-in somewhere or travelling on a commercial airline, a solid rod tube is good advice.

Graphite rods are pretty tough, they aren't nitro glycerine lol. If you take a few seconds to put them in a quality rod sock to avoid knicking/scratching them, they'll last for years and years. I've still got the first "expensive" Berkley Lightning Rod graphite rod I bought as a kid, and believe me, it hasn't been babied. It still works great, and I love to use it now and then just to take my back to the good ol' days.

Quote:
Of all the manufacturers out there at Cabelas, Bass Pro, Fishing Hole and others, my first rod choice for a starting angler/recreational angler would be an appropriately sized Ugly Stik. I probably own 6 different Ugly Stiks, and use them a lot.
Friends don't let friends fish with Ugly Sticks!.

When it comes to rod vs. reel, I'd agree with most here. It depends on the technique.

For most finesse fishing (jigging/rigging), I'd put more money into the rod. I would include bottom bouncing/pulling blades in this category. I think people tend to really underestimate the importance of a sensitive rod when it comes to bottom bouncing.

For casting techniques (casting cranks/spoons/swimbaits, shiver minnows, jigging raps, etc...), I'd try to keep them pretty equal, but definitely lean toward spending a bit more on the reel. Smooth operation, durability, a quality line roller to minimize line twist, and most important, a quality drag.

When it comes to trolling where the rod is in a rod holder, that's where I'd definitely spend more on the reel, but the proper rod also makes a big difference in your hooking and landing percentage.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I'd be really interested in seeing some specific examples of this, or some more detail explaining exactly what you mean by "equal in quality". Let's just say I'm skeptical, but I do have an open mind.

Taking care of you rods is really important, if you're going on fly-in somewhere or travelling on a commercial airline, a solid rod tube is good advice.

Graphite rods are pretty tough, they aren't nitro glycerine lol. If you take a few seconds to put them in a quality rod sock to avoid knicking/scratching them, they'll last for years and years. I've still got the first "expensive" Berkley Lightning Rod graphite rod I bought as a kid, and believe me, it hasn't been babied. It still works great, and I love to use it now and then just to take my back to the good ol' days.

Friends don't let friends fish with Ugly Sticks!.

When it comes to rod vs. reel, I'd agree with most here. It depends on the technique.

For most finesse fishing (jigging/rigging), I'd put more money into the rod. I would include bottom bouncing/pulling blades in this category. I think people tend to really underestimate the importance of a sensitive rod when it comes to bottom bouncing.

For casting techniques (casting cranks/spoons/swimbaits, shiver minnows, jigging raps, etc...), I'd try to keep them pretty equal, but definitely lean toward spending a bit more on the reel. Smooth operation, durability, a quality line roller to minimize line twist, and most important, a quality drag.

When it comes to trolling where the rod is in a rod holder, that's where I'd definitely spend more on the reel, but the proper rod also makes a big difference in your hooking and landing percentage.

It's too bad you live in Calgary Walleyedude......I'd take you fishing with me anytime/anywhere!

I LOL'd on the ugly stick comment. Some years back when buying my wife a rod and reel she insisted on an ugly stick and wouldn't listen to me. Oh sure, it works ok but I took her out for a walleye with me a while back and put my rod/reel in her hands and almost didn't get it back.

I really only ever fish for walleye and use what you refer to as a "finesse" technique. I use a slip weight a lot and drag it along the bottom and like to be able to feel the bottom. I do throw on a bottom bouncer as well as my slip weight if I need to get down deeper than say, 30'. The wife was always asking me how I knew I was in some pebbles or sand or mud or rocks.........then she used my rod..........LOL

The ugly stick is now sitting in the closet with a very old Shimano reel on it and hasn't been used since I bought her a decent rod.

I prefer a medium/light rod for my walleye fishing. I spent around $200 on the rod itself and $250+ on the reel. I'm very happy with the combination I've got and I've been using it for several years now.

Aside from the ugly stick, I do have a medium/heavy rod I'll use if we're out somewhere there are big slough sharks. Then if we decide to go after them, I have a heavier rod with a tougher reel on it. It doesn't get much use.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 04-21-2020, 10:35 AM

There's also something to be said about increasing your enjoyment by using a beautiful, quality tool. Often, fishing is about the entire experience and just handling something of exquisite beauty, craftsmanship and even history really adds to that experience. When I'm fly fishing, sometimes I prefer to use my very old, hand crafted, bamboo rod - certainly not as an 'efficient' choice as some of my 'newer' rods, but just thinking of the craftsman that made it, and the generations of others that have used it - makes me fling a fly with a smile on my face. Other times, I want to use a high end Sage, or maybe a beautiful Hardy reel, matched to it's perfect Hardy companion rod.

A good friend of mine brings a 'reel bag' with him on every fly fishing trip we take. It holds reels of his fathers' and his grandfathers' - that he'll very rarely, if ever use. But it just feels right to him, to take them along on fishing trips!

Once you get past the extreme cheapo set-ups, I don't find too much of a difference between the mid-priced rods and the $1000+ rods - or reels. Certainly not enough of a difference in performance in how they affect my enjoyment, than differences in the beauty and character of what I choose to use.

I'm the same with tools. I'd much prefer to use a worn hand tool passed down by my grandfather, than a brand new, and more efficient one. Although maybe if I was going to use that tool all day for a big project, I might succumb to modern efficiency .... The 'pocket knife' I carry every day was carried by my Father-in-law throughout his service in action during WW2. There are much better quality knives available, but every time I use that knife, I think of him - and my wife gets a tear in her eye.

Catching fish is not serious work. It doesn't need the most 'efficient' tools - only the tools that bring you the most pleasure! IMO
Old 04-23-2020, 07:22 AM

I can say with 110% confidence that for the species I target and the presentations I use to catch them that the rod hands down is the most important over the reel. Hey the reel is important too, and truth be told the bait or presentation is theee most important part, but the correct rod I have learned is the difference between an average day and a terrific day no question about it for the techniques I use. I have proven this many times and my fishing buddies would now also sheepishly agree having witnessed my success. Matching the correct rod for the fishing technique and the primary quarry is priceless in my opinion. On this day I could have used any reel in my collection but arguably None of these fish would have been caught had I not been using the type of rod I was using and that’s guaranteed! Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69ADE8AC-EC22-46D5-81E4-EC8AB50C435A.jpg (33.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-23-2020, 08:39 AM

For Alberta it’s a rod all day long. I’ll troll cranks and lindys like everyone else and appreciate a good drag system. But for the most part I like to flog the water with casts and you can’t reel in what you don’t feel taking your presentation.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
I can say with 110% confidence that for the species I target and the presentations I use to catch them that the rod hands down is the most important over the reel. Hey the reel is important too, and truth be told the bait or presentation is theee most important part, but the correct rod I have learned is the difference between an average day and a terrific day no question about it for the techniques I use. I have proven this many times and my fishing buddies would now also sheepishly agree having witnessed my success. Matching the correct rod for the fishing technique and the primary quarry is priceless in my opinion. On this day I could have used any reel in my collection but arguably None of these fish would have been caught had I not been using the type of rod I was using and that’s guaranteed! Good luck!
Good haul! And I agree 100%
Old 04-23-2020, 09:43 PM

Pretty much agree with most guys on here - depending on the rod and what you are doing.

Generally though, your reel may be X2 in price compared to your rod. Most of my rods are $100-$200 but the reels are double that - spinning / bait casting anyways.

The other thing to consider is most guys that will defend that "a $40 ugly stick will catch me as many fish as you new fnagled fancy St.Croix will" ..... probably never felt many of the bites/fish they missed.

I have had the pleasure to do this experiment twice now - hand your sensitive high quality rod to a friend while on a really light walleye bite and make him a believer !!!!

Problem is he figures out you are not twice the fishermen he is !!!! Your gear is just better allowing you to hook up more times than he can with his cheap rod.

Drag is just like that too .....

Buy once, cry once ..... I cannot afford to buy cheap things anymore ...