Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 04:17 PM

Default Upper Mann Lake

any fish Upper Mann Lake, and how do you get to boat launch?
Old 06-01-2020, 05:47 PM

Unfortunately I believe all the fish died in upper and lower mann years ago. Sad but those lakes are legit sloughs now
Old 06-01-2020, 07:34 PM

Last great year, 2001. Total kill off spring 2002. Water levels the last time I checked were down 13-15 feet from 2001 levels. At this rate they should disappear in another 10 years.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:08 PM

Really sad. We had a secluded cabin on the north end of lower mann in the 80's-early 90's. Would smash 100's of decent pike daily. Both upper and lower are nearly dried up now and dont think they hold any fish.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:56 PM

My grandparents had a cabin on lower mann and my dad and uncles grew up water skiing and fishing the lake. I grew up going there as well but in my 28 years the water was never deep enough for a boat. When i was 10 the boat launch was just sand and the water was 100 yards from where it used to be. Now there is quad trails and forest. Its at least 6-700 yards from where it was 20 years ago.

Not as sure about upper but i know even 12 years ago we used to quad under the highway through the culvert from lake to lake which at one point was water even then it was bush and trails.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:12 PM

Default Mann lakes

I can vaguely remember as a youngster in the late 1970s,maybe early 80s, that my dad would take our 12’ tinner threw the culvert under the hiway from one lake to the other. There was always swallows in there that I thought were bats. Good times.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:54 AM

I too remember guys fishing near the culvert right at the highway. Now you can barely see whats left of the Lakes from the highway. Fishing was quite good back in the day allegedly. Unfortunate for sure.

Population density is quite high in and around the area thus a high density of water wells taking water from the aquifers have adversely impacted the lake water levels. That and land development, roads, etc. have altered the small watershed for those Lakes. Handful of drought years didn't help.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:08 AM

Read an article in the St.Paul Journal regarding stocking fish in local lakes. Apparently they will stock Upper Mann if oxygen levels stay consistent for another year. I attached a link to my Google drive where I have pics to the article. Couldn't upload the pics for some reason
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...KO?usp=sharing
Old 06-02-2020, 05:02 PM

Default Mann

Caught very nice hump back perch just 20 yards south of the culvert in the early 60’s!
It was a constant catch every winter, we used to lay on the ice watching hundreds of them. Was so much fun as a kid, I don’t think there was a limit then, because the warden checked us many times but don’t remember counting perch!
Ahhh the good old days...
Sst