Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 PM

Default Wainwright primitive moose.

Hey there everyone, I used up my priority this year and drew a primitive tag for moose in wainwright. Can anyone that has been there in the last couple years tell me what kind of quality and quantity of animals I may see. I'm not looking to kill a record book bull but I dont want to use a p10 on a spike. Any info will help. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Arsenault View Post
Hey there everyone, I used up my priority this year and drew a primitive tag for moose in wainwright. Can anyone that has been there in the last couple years tell me what kind of quality and quantity of animals I may see. I'm not looking to kill a record book bull but I dont want to use a p10 on a spike. Any info will help. Thanks everyone!
Hunted there 3 years ago and saw more moose than deer. Cant remember the road color but it was east of the staging area and south a couple clicks. Lots of moose in that area and some big guys aswell. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:39 PM

I have hunted there too and have seen some in the 50 inch range i went up on hill above the river and you look down on the plane crash above the bridge in the south west corner and up the hill from there on the boundry road about 46 inches.. also have seen some on the south side down close to the hy-way that splits the two sides but all three were small in my books under 40 inches ..when you get there ask the CO he will help if asked away from everyone one on one he is very help full.... then every morning ask hunters if they saw a good bull moose.. just YELL IT OUT.. don,t be shy they will help you. i told a guy where i saw one , even ask at noon or when ever your at Camp.. Hope this helps

Food for Thought
David
Old 10-20-2011, 04:45 PM

Default wainwright

Went with a buddy last year. Had 5 stalks on different bulls and finally connected With the sixth on the first day. Lots of moose and lots of hunters. He got his with archery equipment. We had a good time and most other hunters were courteous.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:50 PM

Every moose Ive seen on the base is 35"+. Never seen smaller. You'll have a good time out there. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM

When I hunted deer at the camp, a few years ago, there were far less 50" bulls than when I killed mine in 2001, but there were still some good bulls around. I saw a few decent bulls around the lakes on what I seem to recall as Khaki Trail.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Gotta love the battle river system. I dont understand why guys are always so focused on camp wainwright when many, many big animals from moose, to whites to mule hangout along the private lands just outside of the base. Many people dont realize all of the land north to south along the adjacent army/gravel road along the army land that borders the battle holds huge animals. To add to that its now owned by a hog plant, that used to be my good friends farm. They never deny permission now to random guys.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:51 PM

Default camp wainwright moose

I've flown aerial surveys over the camp and the most moose seem to be in the north west quadrant. Seen more moose than deer in that area. Around the river is a good place to start. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 PM

a buddy was out just south of the annex and spotted 8 moose. I don't what sex they were but they were there.

Just a reminder they are still on the range with Maple Guardian so those animals are being pushed around at the present time.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:50 PM

We were in for the sharptail season and saw a couple of very nice bulls down by the river SW -- in the really rough stuff
Old 10-20-2011, 06:58 PM

Thanks for all the info sofar everyone. I'm getting pumped to go there. I want to try with my bow on day 1 and the smoke pole on days 2 & 3
Old 10-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Ask the guys in Range Control...they'll usually try to help out if they've seen any recently.
Otherwise I'd work the area around Tower Hill...there always seems to be a few in there.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 PM

I am Out in the training area right now. Have only seen one bull moose and mulie doe so far. Could be what I ride in scaring them off but I will keep my eyes open for you.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Arsenault View Post
Thanks for all the info sofar everyone. I'm getting pumped to go there. I want to try with my bow on day 1 and the smoke pole on days 2 & 3
Your going to shoot the first thing with 4.1" of antler on one side. Did you even get the a load devlopement for your muzzle loader yet?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Under an inch at 100 yards. 100grains of pyradex and a 250grain hornady sst sabot. I'm atleast going to hold out for 6 inches! When are we going to shoot ducks.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:12 AM

Ill be the for deer for muzzle loader if u pm me ur cell ill let u know if we spot any big bulls when there n tell u location
Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 PM

I've been on the base for 8 different hunts, the last of which was last year. The number of animals on the base is a fraction of what it used to be, regardless of what the CO's and biologists try to lead people to believe. There used to be some really good deer and great moose... In 2004 there where a couple huge bulls taken. Used to be some giant whitetails and mulies every year too. My brother took a 182" mulie last year, and the year before I took a 50" bull moose, but we were very lucky. To my knowledge those were the biggest of both in those years... Not what it was and not worth the wait. If you see a bull with good pans/tines over 45" don't hesitate. It's turned from a great hunt with a chance to take quality animals into a kill hunt that I'd basically there to control numbest and eradicate the population... Tag numbers and hunter numbers are way up. Gotta wonder who makes these 'educated' (lol) decisions...
Good luck!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 PM

I have never been fortunate enough to hunt the base, but I'm looking forward to my hunt. I have heard good and bad about it, but that's the same as everywhere. What parts of the base does every one see the most moose on? I don't want exact locations. I know everyone has honey holes. Just looking for tips on areas or tactics I should use. Thanks alot for all the information so far. 6 weeks to go!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 PM

Default Moose

Go to the peregrine areas (near Betty Lake) or hunt the J1/2 area. Lots of good bulls in those areas. You will have no problem getting one...just depends on how big you want.
S
Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 PM

I've got no problem sending you in the right direction as I'll never hunt moose there again. Quality is down and the wait is to long... 2 places I'd start off first day.

If you go west out of the staging area you'll find Coyote Hill and an airstrip. It's a walkin area and it has good numbers of moose. If you get something there they will assist you getting it out.

The other area that is FULL of moose is just southwest of the big radio tower as you cross the highway into the annex. On the west side (not the annex) of the base you would go south on the last trail before the highway. This trail takes you all the way to a fireguard. There are tons of poplars and willows all the way, and LOTS of moose... We saw 24 moose in 2 days there, including a group of 8 bulls (one of which I shot). If you go through the trees you'll see tons of elk and moose rubs. If you hit the fireguard and go west there is some old burnt out areas that also hold a lot of moose.

From all my time there I'd say don't bother with the Annex... More moose on the west side, the burns have made for great winter browse, and without the leaves they're pretty easy to see.

If you can, buy a muzzleloader and practice out to 300yds. That first season is your best bet. I got mine at 275yds on day 2.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Default 2010 M oose

I hunted there in 2010 with priority 9. Hunted the first deer season and seen lots of small bulls and finally took this one on the third morning near the west side of the base. He is 50" wide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010 moose.jpg (60.3 KB, 163 views)
Old 10-23-2011, 12:00 PM

50 inch will be tough to find but they are there.If you are fussy and hold off the trigger you should have no trouble finding a 40 inch plus bull..
Old 10-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Man thats a really nice bull Wtailhunter. Ive got one of those babys on the menu for next year, not in that zone, but hed do in a pinch!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er