Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-05-2016, 12:01 PM

I see people do things they should not be all the time fishing the NSR
Old 05-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
You give up your support of fishing in Ezone in the spring; you hypocrite.

I'm not a hypocrite.

Get a life. Outside of moms basement if you can't not go fishing for 6 weeks out of 52.

Oh my God. Not a big deal.

Take your ideas and find somewhere else to post your unrealistic suggestions Troll
Old 05-05-2016, 05:58 PM

Default post somewhere else

Why would I post somewhere else when its so much fun to irritate you.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Brown trout spawn in the fall, no reason not to fish for them in April....
Man, things sure go sideways on this forum in a hurry.

I don't know why people on here do not realize they are actually agreeing with each other. Point in case, DD mentioned why not fish in April for Browns. I think, correct my if I'm wrong OutdoorFanatic but you are saying the same thing about Pigeon L and being able to fish for whites in April. After all, they spawn in the fall too. A valid point on both.

I think the other thing OutdoorFanatic is also saying, correct me if I'm wrong, is that a blanket approach of regulations is not as effective as more specific management which would in turn provide more opportunities. What I've noticed in many of the other provinces and states I fished it that they are not as "blanketed" an approach but manage more by exception. Alberta does it more in general - not everywhere but certainly for our lakes it is very generalized. Is that better? I'm not convinced otherwise all the other places that don't use the blanket approach would have failed.

Not a stretch at all to think that Alberta bios would not consider changing this. After all, they learn from other locations too. How do think it got to the current blanket approach - at the time they thought it was the best thing and changed it....change is not bad people
Old 05-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Man, things sure go sideways on this forum in a hurry.

I don't know why people on here do not realize they are actually agreeing with each other. Point in case, DD mentioned why not fish in April for Browns. I think, correct my if I'm wrong OutdoorFanatic but you are saying the same thing about Pigeon L and being able to fish for whites in April. After all, they spawn in the fall too. A valid point on both.

I think the other thing OutdoorFanatic is also saying, correct me if I'm wrong, is that a blanket approach of regulations is not as effective as more specific management which would in turn provide more opportunities. What I've noticed in many of the other provinces and states I fished it that they are not as "blanketed" an approach but manage more by exception. Alberta does it more in general - not everywhere but certainly for our lakes it is very generalized. Is that better? I'm not convinced otherwise all the other places that don't use the blanket approach would have failed.

Not a stretch at all to think that Alberta bios would not consider changing this. After all, they learn from other locations too. How do think it got to the current blanket approach - at the time they thought it was the best thing and changed it....change is not bad people

Perhaps.

However most Alberta lakes see heavy pressure.

Let's say Pigeon Lake experiences 60,000 angling hours every year.

Although white fish in the lake spawn in the Fall, walleye and Pike do so in the spring.

Likelihood of catching those fish as opposed to whitefish is greater.

Sure you can target different species using different techniques, however the average layman fisher person is tossing whatever to catch same.

As walleye is already overfished in the province which is the reason for 0 limits in such lakes as Pigeon it actually makes sense to allow the 6 weeks closure.

Maybe if the pressure to lake ratio was different, but it's not.

Too many fisher persons, not enough lakes to compensate.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 PM

Default Changes?

Thank you Snapfisher. We are saying the same thing but somehow still not communicating.

And Etowncanuck you have a point especially about Pigeon Lake; or at least I'll say you've quoted almost verbatim the bio from Red Deer who's main concern is all about hooking mortality. My concern is hooking mortality is a 12month a year issue not just 6 weeks of the spring. Also I don't know how the bio could ever measure how much hooking mortality does or doesn't affect the population of fish. So my main problem with this ideology is hooking mortality is more a fear than something that can be empirically proven. So once a closure is on then there's no way of measuring when we can expect it to be removed. Its an arbitrary decision. So obviously the consensus here is closures during the spawn for fear of the over riding "hooking mortality" take precedence over all other strategies regardless of empirical evidence. Which I guess is valid to some degree but I don't understand why the inconsistency between closing lakes but not western streams and rivers.

We should create a petition to make Snapfisher the forum voice of reason.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thank you Snapfisher. We are saying the same thing but somehow still not communicating.

And Etowncanuck you have a point especially about Pigeon Lake; or at least I'll say you've quoted almost verbatim the bio from Red Deer who's main concern is all about hooking mortality. My concern is hooking mortality is a 12month a year issue not just 6 weeks of the spring. Also I don't know how the bio could ever measure how much hooking mortality does or doesn't affect the population of fish. So my main problem with this ideology is hooking mortality is more a fear than something that can be empirically proven. So once a closure is on then there's no way of measuring when we can expect it to be removed. Its an arbitrary decision. So obviously the consensus here is closures during the spawn for fear of the over riding "hooking mortality" take precedence over all other strategies regardless of empirical evidence. Which I guess is valid to some degree but I don't understand why the inconsistency between closing lakes but not western streams and rivers.

We should create a petition to make Snapfisher the forum voice of reason.

I don't know the quote of verbatim you say I reference,
I spoke off the cuff of 20 plus years of fishing experience.

There are areas such as trout ponds you can fish,
And we are merely days away from everything being open.

Is 6 weeks really that difficult to hang up the gear for?

Personally I only fish June to October.

Fair weather preference.

I wait for 6 months to get out there again.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:09 AM
Banned

Bushnell said it well... You can't fix stupid.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:22 PM

Default 20 yrs

Should I care about your supposed "20yrs of experience"; that's nothing really to brag about. Its pretty easy to find someone with that and more. But I'll give you this; my expectations for fair treatment on this forum are way too high. And if for no other reason than the fact that you have "20yrs experience?" then by default I have no right to challenge anything.

Thanks for putting me in my proper place.
As of this time tomorrow all my fishing gear will be removed from my permission and turned over to the C.Os.

Sincerely and formally Outdoorfanatic
Old 05-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Should I care about your supposed "20yrs of experience"; that's nothing really to brag about. Its pretty easy to find someone with that and more. But I'll give you this; my expectations for fair treatment on this forum are way too high. And if for no other reason than the fact that you have "20yrs experience?" then by default I have no right to challenge anything.

Thanks for putting me in my proper place.

As of this time tomorrow all my fishing gear will be removed from my permission and turned over to the C.Os.

Sincerely and formally Outdoorfanatic

No you said I quoted something verbatim, to which I asked how. I wrote exactly that, based on 20 years of experience, knowledge, regulation reading, living, listening, learning.
That happens when you get older, you can speak from experience.
If you don't understand that philosophy then that means you're not old enough and in time you'll understand.

And when you can actually put 20 years of experience behind you it's a bit freaky.

Take time to learn and understand what you need to know about your favourite hobby,
Key being understanding
I don't know everything, that's why I'm on this forum to learn and I hope I live long enough to say with 80 years experience, and still have a lot to learn
Old 05-07-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The 'Fish and Wildlife Enforcement' page on facebook posts infractions of people they are catching fishing in closed waters. The CO's must be busier now than when the season is open.

The people caught fishing in a closed season should lose their licenses for the year. Think of all the fish it would save. Then there would be no fishing pressure from those people that have no regard for our fisheries laws. Management practices just might work then too.

I think they need to print the regulations in several more languages. And maybe some testing before selling a person a license. The test should be questions regarding the regulations.
They are already doing something illegal, why would they obey if they lost their license for the year?