Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-13-2016, 09:49 AM

Default Pigeon lake update

Has the algae taken over pigeon yet? Or could a guy git here tomorrow?
Old 08-13-2016, 09:52 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/e...sory-1.3709046

Not sure how it actually looks but that was posted back on the 5th.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:58 PM

Talked to a guy who was out today, he said the lake is full of algae and there were dead walleye everywhere.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:21 PM

Default Pigeon is awfut

I'm at Pigeon right now and I've never seen it so bad. Heavy clumps of blue-green on the north half and east side. No dead walleye but dozens of dead whites in the 6+ pound range. Two days ago the lake was pretty good but it's gone for crap in the last day or so.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:01 PM

We need a pigeon dead whitefish summer algae sticky.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:13 PM

Default Pigeon lake update

Quote:
Originally Posted by talking moose View Post
we need a pigeon dead whitefish summer algae sticky.
wtf??
Old 08-13-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
wtf??
He means it happens every year lol

I was actually surprised how late it happened this year.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:58 PM

Default Whitefish

It was happening in July too. Started around the 15th. Saw one that looked 10 lbs but maybe he was bloated.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:19 AM
Banned

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/news/bga.aspx

Blue-green Algae (Cyanobacteria) bloom advisory issued for Pigeon Lake (Edmonton Zone)

August 5, 2016

EDMONTON – A blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) bloom has been identified in areas of Pigeon Lake. Residents living near the shores of this lake, as well as visitors to this lake, are advised to take the following precautions:

Avoid all contact with blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) blooms. If contact occurs, wash with tap water as soon as possible.
Do not swim or wade (or allow your pets to swim or wade) in any areas where blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) is visible.
Do not feed whole fish or fish trimmings from this lake to your pets.
Consider limiting human consumption of whole fish and fish trimmings from this lake, as it is known that fish may store toxins in their liver. (People can safely consume fish fillets from this lake).
As always, visitors and residents are reminded to never drink or cook with untreated water directly from any lake, including Pigeon Lake, at any time. Boiling lake water will not remove the toxins produced by blue-green algae (cyanobacteria). An alternate source of drinking water should also be provided for pets and livestock, while this advisory is active.

Blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) is naturally occurring, and often become visible when weather conditions are calm. Appearing like scum, grass clippings, fuzz or globs on the surface of water, blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) can be blue-green, greenish-brown, brown, and/or pinkish-red, and often smell musty or grassy.

People who come in contact with visible blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), or who ingest water containing blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), may experience skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and/or diarrhea. Symptoms usually appear within one to three hours and resolve in one to two days. Symptoms in children are often more pronounced; however, all humans are at risk of these symptoms.

Weather and wind conditions can cause algae blooms to move from one location in the lake to another. As such, this advisory will remain in effect for Pigeon Lake, until further notice.

Please note that areas of Pigeon Lake in which the blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) bloom is NOT visible can still be used for recreational purposes, even while this Blue-green Algae (Cyanobacteria) Advisory is in place.

If you suspect a problem related to blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), or if you require further information on health concerns and blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), please call Health Link at 811. Additional information is also available online, at www.ahs.ca/bga.

Alberta Health Services is the provincial health authority responsible for planning and delivering health supports and services for more than four million adults and children living in Alberta. Its mission is to provide a patient-focused, quality health system that is accessible and sustainable for all Albertans.

- 30 -
Old 08-15-2016, 08:59 AM

Spent the weekend. Boat launch area was bad, wind was from the NW and this area was quite calm and it was definitely accumulating here. Other areas of the lake not as bad, especially once the wind picked up a bit. Saw several dead whites. Walleye were biting good and had lots of energy. Fair number of pike. Filled a bunch of Class C tags.

A few people still tubing or skiing.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Spent the weekend. Boat launch area was bad, wind was from the NW and this area was quite calm and it was definitely accumulating here. Other areas of the lake not as bad, especially once the wind picked up a bit. Saw several dead whites. Walleye were biting good and had lots of energy. Fair number of pike. Filled a bunch of Class C tags.

A few people still tubing or skiing.
Is filling your tags while there's a health advisory stating you shouldn't feed the fish to animals the best idea?

I am not trying to sound smart I'm honestly asking.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:07 AM

If you read the advisory it is not a problem as long as your not eating the entrails . Grew up with blue green algae blooms in Saskatchewan, never was an issue. Most of the lake is also safe for utilization, just not the areas it accumulates (see the advisory). The areas we fished had little if any blue green algae. Other algae was present in moderate amounts.

Fish was excellent eating BTW, still firm and had no fishy flavor, except as you would expect.

Last edited by MathewsArcher; 08-15-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
If you read the advisory it is not a problem as long as your not eating the entrails . Grew up with blue green algae blooms in Saskatchewan, never was an issue. Most of the lake is also safe for utilization, just not the areas it accumulates (see the advisory). The areas we wished had little if any blue green algae. Other algae was present in moderate amounts.

Fish was excellent eating BTW, still firm and had no fishy flavor, except as you would expect.
Sweet, thanks for the info.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 PM

Right from the government.

Quote:
Toxins from cyanobacteria have been shown to accumulate in the liver of exposed fish. Small amounts have also been shown to accumulate in kidneys, blood, gill, bile, intestines and brain. It is recommended that people limit their consumption of fish organs, including the skin.

Prevent your pets from eating fish caught from a lake with blue-green algae.

Studies in Alberta indicate that toxins from cyanobacteria are unlikely to accumulate in the flesh of fish at levels high enough to be hazardous to humans. Correctly gutted or filleted fish represent minimal to no health hazard to human consumption.
I wouldn't hesitate to eat a fish out of algae infested waters, I have eaten my fair share from sloughs in SK.

You want a fish of questionable quality and from questionable waters go buy one from a supermarket...
Old 08-15-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Right from the government.

I wouldn't hesitate to eat a fish out of algae infested waters, I have eaten my fair share from sloughs in SK.

You want a fish of questionable quality and from questionable waters go buy one from a supermarket...
Hahahaha touché
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 PM

I agree with Jet.

I harvest my walleye (and filled my tags) in the spring. Water is cold, and there is no threat to cyanobacteria whatsoever.

We absolutely know that contaminants accumulate more readily in certain organs (like the liver) at much higher concentrations - but we also know you will find contaminants throughout an organism and throughout all organs within that organism.So why gamble? Given the choice, I will fill my tags early. I won't eat contaminated food.

And Yes, I'm sure the supermarket fish isn't 100% perfectly free of contaminants but it is regulated and monitored by the CFIA against a prescribed standard. This is evidenced by the fact they have strictly forbidden the importation of some shellfish originating from Asia. It's not perfect, but there is a level of testing and control in an effort to protect the public.

The warning utilizes the same protocols and has the same mandate (to protect the public).
Old 08-20-2016, 08:48 PM

Didn't want to make a new thread so I'll ask here.

Won some walleye tags this season and was wondering what's the best way to fill my tags? I have done very little walleye fishing in the past and was hoping some of you guys could help me out. Would hate to make the drive up and come home empty handed.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix_84 View Post
Didn't want to make a new thread so I'll ask here.

Won some walleye tags this season and was wondering what's the best way to fill my tags? I have done very little walleye fishing in the past and was hoping some of you guys could help me out. Would hate to make the drive up and come home empty handed.

Thanks!
Go to the provincial park boat launch, look for the gaggle of boats a couple hundred yards off shore. There's a drop off there, drop a jig and minnow and wait about 30 seconds. The biggest problem is catching ones that are the right length for your tags. Be very careful about your measurements.

Take a few tubs of minnow so you don't run out ;o)
Old 08-21-2016, 01:14 PM

Thanks a lot 270, any idea what the depth is around the lake? I don't have sonar.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270fan View Post
Go to the provincial park boat launch, look for the gaggle of boats a couple hundred yards off shore. There's a drop off there, drop a jig and minnow and wait about 30 seconds. The biggest problem is catching ones that are the right length for your tags. Be very careful about your measurements.

Take a few tubs of minnow so you don't run out ;o)
Do this...^ get near the cluster of boats and drop a jig and minnow/leech/worm down to the bottom. Reel up 6 inches to a foot and wait.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:23 PM

Default Depth ...

I can't remember for sure for the whole lake but the drop off goes from about 8 feet to about 20 in a fairly steep drop. I think if you go to the Anglers Atlas website there may be a depth chart available.

There's usually a lot of boats in that area, we do well when we find the drop off and about 18-21 feet of water.

That being said, the kids were catching walleye from shore in the area as well.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:42 PM

Thanks again 270 and moose. Really appreciate the info.

I feel much better about this already.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks again 270 and moose. Really appreciate the info.

I feel much better about this already.
Good luck and don't forget to let us know how you made out !
Old 09-08-2016, 01:31 PM

Any updates to the blue green algae bloom? Thinking it should have settled with cooler weather the last couple of weeks. Thinking about a day trip out tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:57 PM

Was out last week twice at PP and all the algae must have been on the North side as we had a South wind for a couple days and there were no gobs. Looked like it did in late June
Old 09-08-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
And Yes, I'm sure the supermarket fish isn't 100% perfectly free of contaminants but it is regulated and monitored by the CFIA against a prescribed standard. This is evidenced by the fact they have strictly forbidden the importation of some shellfish originating from Asia. It's not perfect, but there is a level of testing and control in an effort to protect the public.
Sorry, late to party on this one. I just wanted to respond to this because it depends whether you're buying farmed fish or wild fish. With wild fish we don't always have a very good idea what kind of contaminants they might have come into contact with during their lifetimes (either by swimming through it or ingesting prey that contain it). This is especially true for fish that travel long distances. It's pretty hard to know exactly where they've been and at what time and what they ate and where, etc, etc.

You're absolutely right that the CFIA has a hand in making sure imported fish are safe (Link: http://tinyurl.com/hmt6s4y) but it certainly sounds to me like it wouldn't be hard for less than wholesome products to get through. They can't inspect everything.

I guess my point is that the CFIA might bring a somewhat false sense of security to imported fish. Regardless I won't let this stop me from eating fish but I'd just be aware that the inspection process isn't foolproof... I usually buy farmed fish anyways. Cheaper. I like the texture more. More sustainable than wild harvests.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:15 PM

I guess my point is that the CFIA might bring a somewhat false sense of security to imported fish. Regardless I won't let this stop me from eating fish but I'd just be aware that the inspection process isn't foolproof... I usually buy farmed fish anyways. Cheaper. I like the texture more. More sustainable than wild harvests.[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about farmed Salmon - you should watch the link attached - I will NEVER eat another farmed Salmon in my lifetime!!

Hope you will change your mind once you watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTbxOFcvC4U

If the link doesn't work, go to YouTube.ca and search "Salmon Confidential Documentary".
Old 09-08-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot 270, any idea what the depth is around the lake? I don't have sonar.
Spend $9 on the Navionics app, it's a great alternative.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:24 PM

http://aep.alberta.ca/forms-maps-ser...ryMap-2005.pdf

save your money theres a free map online
Old 09-08-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkemper View Post
http://aep.alberta.ca/forms-maps-ser...ryMap-2005.pdf

save your money theres a free map online
True, but not for the convenience or functionality of real time GPS tracking to show you that you're on top of a ledge (or not)