Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-26-2016, 03:21 PM

Default Been a great week ! Fall Run Chinook Salmon Toronto.

Its been a killer week people, I was in Toronto for a wedding and packed a couple rods to take along to see if the annual Chinook Salmon run was. I used to live there for a bit and was a dedicated pier angler for a few weeks in the fall when they ran. It took a bit of chucking but a run did come in and we landed 7 out of 9 fish, it was pretty amazing to say the least. If your ever in the Great Lakes area in September/October you can bet that big fall run salmon are running through those urban rivers and creeks. I don't think there is a freshwater species in our Canadian waters that puts a show on like a Chinook salmon caught while casting in the shallows, the first 60 seconds are exhilaratingly violent and explosive. We were fishing at Port Credit 20min drive from downtown Toronto.
Make sure you take your heavier gear and better quality reels with at least 175' line, its amazing how many rigs you see come apart in peoples hands, this fish will find the kink in your armour very quickly if it exists.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AO 1.JPG (69.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg AO 2.JPG (60.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg AO 3.jpg (12.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg ao4.jpg (39.2 KB, 123 views)
Old 09-26-2016, 03:45 PM

Holy carp! Err, salmon! I often forget about the population of the great lakes. Those are huge. Any weight on any of those larger ones?
Old 09-26-2016, 04:38 PM

Didn't put a scale on them but that big one was In the upper 20s for sure. They are kinda lucky living on the shores of waters that hold almost everything that swims.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taipan View Post
They are kinda lucky living on the shores of waters that hold almost everything that swims.
Kinda is right...Except that they live in Ontario...