Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2016, 11:19 AM

Default Pike ate my goldeye

One of the (few) times I wish I had a GoPro. I was fishing the NSR inside Edmonton on Sunday evening at a spot I had caught some pike a few days earlier. I got a decent sized goldeye on the line (13-14") and it was fighting in their typical fashion, hitting the surface and flopping around. When it was around 1 meter from shore and clearly in view the largest pike I have ever seen inside the city rose up from the bottom and took 2/3 of it in its mouth a dived. I had a 1 foot steel leader on but my line snapped after about 10 seconds of it pulling hard. Never had this happen to me and it was quite the sight to behold. Curious if there was anything I could have done differently and what other people's experiences have ben having a fish stolen by a pike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles_C View Post
One of the (few) times I wish I had a GoPro. I was fishing the NSR inside Edmonton on Sunday evening at a spot I had caught some pike a few days earlier. I got a decent sized goldeye on the line (13-14") and it was fighting in their typical fashion, hitting the surface and flopping around. When it was around 1 meter from shore and clearly in view the largest pike I have ever seen inside the city rose up from the bottom and took 2/3 of it in its mouth a dived. I had a 1 foot steel leader on but my line snapped after about 10 seconds of it pulling hard. Never had this happen to me and it was quite the sight to behold. Curious if there was anything I could have done differently and what other people's experiences have ben having a fish stolen by a pike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you were fishing old mono then it should be replaced. Cheap mono as well has failure points in it.

Other than that you could have set your drag looser and held it high to keep it away from possible objects on the water that the pike could break you off on. Some guys also back reel to lessen the tension before breakage.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:54 PM

I've been in this situation before. Not much that you can do, in my opinion. You have no idea where the hook is, and can only hope that the attacking fish will hook itself. If you're anything like me, the surprise and adrenaline rush won't help you think very clearly.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:36 PM

Don't think the fish theft is uncommon. In Lac la Biche I was reeling in a smaller pike-12-14 inches and about 12 ft from the boat it was hit hard by a +26 inch pike, snapping my line.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:49 PM

Regardless of what you may have done to correct the situation, thanks for the cool story. I am often amazed at the aggressive nature of pike.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:24 PM

Had this happen twice a few weeks back when we were fishing at Pine Coulee. Both times our drags started screaming so we never broke off.

We never landed either of the big brutes. The first one pulled the walleye off the hook and the second one let go of the walleye. Huge adrenalin rush.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:36 PM

Change your line if it's old or it's been sitting in direct sunlight for awhile (like in the back window of a car). And if targeting pike, get a longer leader and use a good knot.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:03 PM

Should of jumped in and fought the snake for your fish back
Old 09-29-2016, 06:39 AM

Saw a few pics of about 50 Lb pike taking a 8 lb Walleye caught on a hook. Both fish were landed. Happened on a lake in Ontario. Huge pike, biggest ive ever seen a picture.
A couple years ago at Wab, i cuaght a Walleye and while reeling in I felt a huge tug. When the Walleye was landed it had huge fresh bleeding gashes in it's side. A pike must have hit it after I hooked it. Did not see the pike though.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:40 AM

One time I was fishing Chin Reservoir and was having a good day catching Walleyes. I hooked a fish that charged around like a pike making fast runs in every direction. When I finally got the fish up high enough to see it, I then realized I had a Walleye with a big Pike chasing it. I managed to land the 12"
Walleye and waited a bit for the Pike to leave before releasing it.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
If you were fishing old mono then it should be replaced. Cheap mono as well has failure points in it.

Other than that you could have set your drag looser and held it high to keep it away from possible objects on the water that the pike could break you off on. Some guys also back reel to lessen the tension before breakage.
Thanks, that is what I suspected. I have changed my line to 35 lbs and going to loosen my tension. I will try the hole again this afternoon with bigger lures and bait. If I get some result I will update the feed. Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
I've been in this situation before. Not much that you can do, in my opinion. You have no idea where the hook is, and can only hope that the attacking fish will hook itself. If you're anything like me, the surprise and adrenaline rush won't help you think very clearly.
Ya it was so unexpected I was more focused on the beauty of the massive pike than adapting to catch it. Next time!
Old 09-30-2016, 01:20 PM

Default Wiltungar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Change your line if it's old or it's been sitting in direct sunlight for awhile (like in the back window of a car). And if targeting pike, get a longer leader and use a good knot.
I was using a foot long steel leader, should I go longer than that? I assumed it was my knot, any recommendations on good knots for leader attachments?
Old 09-30-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
X2 the pike that hit my walleye was only about 12lbs. I immediately tied on the biggest buzz bait i had and got her on the second cast.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:43 PM

Was fishing at Winagami off of the breakwater with my buddy. He caught a 20" pike and was bringing it in, when all of a sudden it got grabbed by another pike that was only a little bigger than it. It hung on till he just about got it to shore then the larger one released and swan off. The hooked pike just had a minor wound in its side and seemed okay when we released it.