Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-28-2016, 11:57 AM

Default MONSTER Walleye Landed Last Weekend

Thought I'd share a few pics of a walleye that I helped my friend pull from the Red Deer River, downstream of the Tolman Bridge this past weekend. May have altered the ecosystem in the area with this monster gone! My friend used a bait ball lure.

13.38lbs/6.07kg
32"/83cm

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (27.8 KB, 1046 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (28.9 KB, 988 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (27.4 KB, 1018 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (38.7 KB, 984 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (38.2 KB, 997 views)
Old 09-28-2016, 12:04 PM

Epic walleye! Do you mean one of those live target bait ball crankbaits?
Old 09-28-2016, 12:26 PM

Nice fish. Some nerd is going to tell you it's a breeder and you should of let it go. Ignore him and realize his life is boring. Congrats!
Old 09-28-2016, 12:30 PM

Awesome fish! The battle must have been absolutly epic

At least mount the thing if your gonna keep it. Im waiting to hit 15 then its goin on the wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403gl View Post
Thought I'd share a few pics of a walleye that I helped my friend pull from the Red Deer River, downstream of the Tolman Bridge this past weekend. May have altered the ecosystem in the area with this monster gone! My friend used a bait ball lure.

13.38lbs/6.07kg
32"/83cm

Cheers.
Looks like the guy weighing is standing on the rope.

Just kidding Great Fish.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:52 PM

I'll find out what kind of lure it was. Oddly enough there was no epic battle, the treble hooks hooked it's tail,got wrapped around some heavy branches in the water and was stuck with its massive fin sticking out. Landing it meant wading out to retrieve it. So no bragging rights on the battle!

Mounting did cross our minds but none of the fishing spots had any good contacts and we were dealing with a fish we were eager to get weighed and measured before it spoils.

Delicious though, very difficult to cleanly fillet such a massive fish, didn't have a long enough knife and with such a thick spine it was hard to get all of it. Should've just paid those guys and t&t in hindsight !
Old 09-28-2016, 12:57 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

it seems like someone is under a bridge...
Old 09-28-2016, 01:03 PM

Can you even keep a snagged fish?
Old 09-28-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
^^^
Old 09-28-2016, 01:14 PM

Huge one Nice!
Old 09-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403gl View Post
I'll find out what kind of lure it was. Oddly enough there was no epic battle, the treble hooks hooked it's tail,got wrapped around some heavy branches in the water and was stuck with its massive fin sticking out. Landing it meant wading out to retrieve it. So no bragging rights on the battle!

Mounting did cross our minds but none of the fishing spots had any good contacts and we were dealing with a fish we were eager to get weighed and measured before it spoils.

Delicious though, very difficult to cleanly fillet such a massive fish, didn't have a long enough knife and with such a thick spine it was hard to get all of it. Should've just paid those guys and t&t in hindsight !

Snagged?

Read your general PROVINCE WIDE sport fishing regulations much?
Old 09-28-2016, 01:45 PM

Sounds more like a foul hook than a snag fishing technique. I've fouled hook fish in the tail before and they fight like crazy. I thought it was a monster but ended up disappointed to see a small fish.

Nice walleye!
Old 09-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
Sounds more like a foul hook than a snag fishing technique. I've fouled hook fish in the tail before and they fight like crazy. I thought it was a monster but ended up disappointed to see a small fish.

Nice walleye!
Had trout on the flyrod hooked by the tail, think you're playing a monster.

6 KG on the scale? That is a nice eye. Congrats.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:58 PM

Thanks for helping to clear the air on the difference between snagging and foul hooking. I plead ignorance to not knowing what snag fishing is, and to be clear the walleye did foul hook itself on the tail by accident. Didn't realize until it was manually retrieved and inspected on shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
Not sure if trolling... disclosed location to be clear it was from an area where walleye above 50cm could be kept. but thanks

Last edited by 403gl; 09-28-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-28-2016, 03:17 PM

Big Walleye no matter how it was caught. Congrats to your friend.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:33 PM

Very nice fish!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Fish was foul hooked, not snagged unless he was deliberately attempting to snag the fish, which it doesn't sound like he was doing from the description.

And yes, it's legal to keep fish that are foul hooked if you're allowed to keep that fish (i.e. part of your regular limit).

Awesome beast of a fish. Glad you kept it and ate it.

Snagged is snagged.period., there is no defintion of foul hooking, it is illegal to pocess a fish taken by snagging (accidental or not.).

But maybe you know something that i don't?

Anyways Gotta go,fish on!!

The may flies are hatching and the waters popping!
Old 09-28-2016, 04:10 PM

Beauty fish!

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-28-2016, 07:47 PM

My biggest out of RDR is just under 6lbs. That's a monster!

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Old 09-28-2016, 09:18 PM
Banned

Think I let that one go at McKenzie Crossing. And Dry Island Buffalo.

Just kidding... huge and nice fish!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:22 AM

Nice fish. The OP mentions problems with filleting the big fish... if a person has a big fish like this they don't always have to fillet them. The big fish can also be cut into nice 2 inch thick steaks too.

Meat anglers should always carry a cooler with ice to put the fish on. Frozen 2 liter pop bottles in the cooler are useful and no mess.

Curious on how much the fishes stomach contents weighed? It might have had 2 or 3 one pound perch or a 2 pound whitefish in its gut.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-29-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Nice fish. The OP mentions problems with filleting the big fish... if a person has a big fish like this they don't always have to fillet them. The big fish can also be cut into nice 2 inch thick steaks too.

Meat anglers should always carry a cooler with ice to put the fish on. Frozen 2 liter pop bottles in the cooler are useful and no mess.

Curious on how much the fishes stomach contents weighed? It might have had 2 or 3 one pound perch or a 2 pound whitefish in its gut.
Great tip on packing a cooler with bottles. I wish I wasn't so tired/wasn't so late when I got around to the fish. Steaks definitely would have been the best way to process it in hindsight, almost embarrassed by how much was left behind!

There was just a single partially digested goldeye in the stomach. Never gutted such a large fish so it was really cool to see that instead of the typical insects found in goldeye etc.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Another way to fillet a big fish like this or pretty much any regular fish. Take the knife, go vertically in the side behind the gill plate, till you get to the spine, turn 90 degrees and go out towards the tail, with your hand on the body. Do the same on the other side, then take out the pin bones, and rib cage remaining on the fillet and any fins, then remove the skin from the meat (or leave it on). On the first fillet cut, (after the gill plate cut), cut a slit along the belly to the anus for a cleaner job.

If you bleed the fish first, as well as getting whiter meat, you get little mess and less slime during the filleting.

I switched to this method and it's much faster. Different groups of fish have slightly different pin bone direction (to the top or bottom of the fish), but it's a generic method that works for pretty much every fish.
This is how I fillet 95% of the time as well. I normally don't even gut the fish with this method - you just end up with two fillets and the head,spine and entrails all stay in tact.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutherDLG View Post
This is how I fillet 95% of the time as well. I normally don't even gut the fish with this method - you just end up with two fillets and the head,spine and entrails all stay in tact.
Is that what they call butterfly filleting?
Cat
Old 09-29-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Is that what they call butterfly filleting?
Cat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkpPV1vrYzU
Old 09-30-2016, 04:22 PM

Default Let the big ones go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Nice fish. Some nerd is going to tell you it's a breeder and you should of let it go. Ignore him and realize his life is boring. Congrats!
I am nerd. I release ALL the big fish (Freshwater) I catch. Big fish have big babies. Its really quite simple. And...Big fish taste bad.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
No, different. It's just straight down turn the blade 90 and out across the spine in one cut.

Essentially (excluding trimming, skinning and pin bone removal), it's 2 cuts, one for each fillet (with a 90 degree direction change mid cut). To do it a bit more cleanly, it's 4 cuts (i.e. slitting the belly after the cut behind the gill plate to the spine), the 4 cut just gives you a better straight line on the bottom of the fillet.

I did a quick search for videos on it, couldn't find any, but there should be something out there.

But bleeding is a good idea, otherwise it's easy to end with blood everywhere.

The only AB fish I'd do different would be Burbot (skin with pliers).

Another tip, if you don't have a filleting table with rubber mat / water supply, then newspaper is king, stack a few sheets, it soaks up the slime and keeps everything contained, and you can peel sheets off with entrails on etc. and dump as you work through the the filleting process.

Scalable, universal, fast and you get a non-mauled result.

X2 on using newspaper. Tryed that trick last weekend and it worked very well for keeping fish fresh till I got home, no slime and the meat was still firm.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:50 PM

What a beast!
Old 10-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Banned

Default Make sure you feed a lot of that Biggie

To the kids especially .personally I wouldn't eat anything out of that sewer .

http://mywildalberta.com/fishing/Saf...Feb24-2016.pdf