Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-09-2020, 07:47 PM

Default 25 cal Jury barrel 25-300wsm

I finally had the chance to work with a Jury barrel , not for myself but a another fellow . I ran it between centres and it ran as true as anybodies barrel I have used ( there has been a few ) .Machining it was good and cutting the chamber equally as good using a JGS reamer . The caliber is 25-300WSM and if I remember a 1-7.5 twist ,sporter contour . Fellow contacted me today saying he is having no trouble shooting .5 in groups at 100 , he will chronograph it next time he shoots . Hopefully others are having as good as luck and we have access to another good Canadian barrel manufacture .
Old 10-09-2020, 08:07 PM

Have a 6.5 x 55 rebarreled in 1:8 Jury...Dick284 recommended ... never looked back ... brilliant
Old 10-09-2020, 10:51 PM

i use them exclusively on my builds and ones i quarterback for guys. never had one that hasn’t performed. not calling any other makers down; just believe in supporting close to home. reasonable price and usually fairly quick supply.
we’re lucky to have a handful of good barrel makers in alberta now.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:04 AM

I’m 2 deep on 1 in 8” .260 Rem barrels from Jury.
The first was a door prize from a shoot, that was commissioned into a 24”, #5 contour, fitted to a donor Savage action. It was built for my son.
It shoots like this:

Finished into a Boyd’s Prairie Hunter stock:

I was so impressed with Jury barrels and the .260 Rem that I had one built for myself, this one being built on a LH 788 Rem. Same #5 contour, but this one at 26”. All fitted to a MCRS tactical stock.

It’ll shoot like this too:

The last thing I’ll say is both these barrels simply fail to foul, 60, 80, even after 120 rounds and cleaning is a snap.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-12-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
I finally had the chance to work with a Jury barrel , not for myself but a another fellow . I ran it between centres and it ran as true as anybodies barrel I have used ( there has been a few ) .Machining it was good and cutting the chamber equally as good using a JGS reamer . The caliber is 25-300WSM and if I remember a 1-7.5 twist ,sporter contour . Fellow contacted me today saying he is having no trouble shooting .5 in groups at 100 , he will chronograph it next time he shoots . Hopefully others are having as good as luck and we have access to another good Canadian barrel manufacture .
Thanks for this post. I’ve shot 25’s for 20 years now and with the 6.5 trends going on, I’ve often wondered why nobody makes heavier bullets than 120gr in a 25 cal. After all, it’s only .007” smaller than the 6.5’s. So this guy, with the 7.5 twist must have a source for significantly heavier than 120 bullets. Any idea what the source is? Does he import them from the states?
Old 10-12-2020, 07:09 PM

Unfortunately I don’t know his bullets. Next time I talk to him I will confirm twist and bullets
Old 10-12-2020, 07:10 PM

chinchaga bullets in ponoka has 135 and 140 grain bullets in 25 cal. i’ve done a small amount of testing with both; and both show great potential in my f-gun.
hope to finish wringing them out over the winter

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
chinchaga bullets in ponoka has 135 and 140 grain bullets in 25 cal. i’ve done a small amount of testing with both; and both show great potential in my f-gun.
hope to finish wringing them out over the winter
The reamer I have had an extremely short throat and I have a separate throating reamer just for the long bullets a fellow may want to use
Old 10-12-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
The reamer I have had an extremely short throat and I have a separate throating reamer just for the long bullets a fellow may want to use
my custom 25 run 115 vld hunting at 3250. i had henry remple throat it for a sample of the 140’s i gave him.
i did a small amount of testing with the 140’s; then ran out of time for a match and tried my 115’s again; my original load.
p. o. i. did not change at all; nor did accuracy. a welcome surprise.
i suppose i should see how far ‘off the lands’ i am someday; since i never have done so from the start.
i keep reading on the internet how critical this measurement is........

2. #1 is true.