Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 08:41 AM
Banned

I got checked in 314, was just asked for hunting licence. We had 2 cases of poaching that same weekend so I was happy to see a uniform. Got pulled over since i wore camo when i passed patrol, officer checked my buck, checked my licence and off i went. He was very professional and friendly to say the least.

Only question regarding firearm was if it is in a case, which it was(he never checked).
Old 01-18-2021, 10:37 AM

Better to have it and not need than the opposite. This other thing is trigger locking your rifle whilst in your possession.

Yes I know what you are thinking but I stood in the cold trying to explain to an over zealous RCMP officer while raking me over the coals for not locking up my rifle.

My unloaded hunting rifle was in my possession in a normal soft gun bag in the back seat of my truck and I am driving home, no driving infractions, wearing camo and I get pulled over.

Finally at my request she called her supervisor and in a minute I was on my way....There is 2 hours I'll never get back.

I am not going to debate the law with someone clearly not informed. Easier to carry my PAL and a trigger lock.

Oh, and finally, change out of your camo jacket when driving home.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I am not going to debate the law with someone clearly not informed. Easier to carry my PAL and a trigger lock.

IMO, wrong on so many levels.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
X2 I'm completely fine if they check, mine's always in my wallet.
Yup, have always carried it, never been asked, but have bought stuff on the spur of the moment where I needed it and was glad that I had it!
Cat
Old 01-18-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Better to have it and not need than the opposite. This other thing is trigger locking your rifle whilst in your possession.

Yes I know what you are thinking but I stood in the cold trying to explain to an over zealous RCMP officer while raking me over the coals for not locking up my rifle.

My unloaded hunting rifle was in my possession in a normal soft gun bag in the back seat of my truck and I am driving home, no driving infractions, wearing camo and I get pulled over.

Finally at my request she called her supervisor and in a minute I was on my way....There is 2 hours I'll never get back.

Sorry but I will not put on a trigger lock for transportation just for the sake of RCMP officers that do not know the transportation laws. I will be respectful and go through the paces so the officers learns even if it costs me 2hrs. I actually used to carry a copy of the transport laws for that very reason

Obey the laws and be respectful when talking to an officer I believe in but bending to poor interpretation of the law just means that officer may wrongfully charge a legal firearms owner or confiscate their firearms. I actually know someone who had to recover their rifle from the station because an officer did not know the transportation laws

If you are concerned carrying a copy of the transportation laws in your glove box

I had to Google it last year for a F&W officer who thought I needed a trigger lock. Cost me a little time but that was it. The conversation stayed respectful the whole time
Old 01-18-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread....

Now that another hunting season has come and gone (for most seasons), did anyone get asked to produce their firearms license during a hunting license check this past hunting season? I'm curious if Fish & Wildlife enforcement is changing the laws they enforce now that they fall under Alberta Sheriffs.
Yes, got checked this past October, was asked for my Firearms License.