Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2020, 12:20 PM

Default Rough cut fir

I just replace all interior doors in the house, solid six panel doors. The wife would like custom door casings. I would like to use fir, the price of s4s fir is crazy. I have the tools and ability to use rough lumber to make moldings. Does anyone know where I might be able to get 4/4 rough fir. 6" or wider would work for me.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-09-2020, 12:49 PM

Default Rough Cut Fir

Not sure if this will hellp you or not, there is a fellow named Zach that has an add on kijiji in Stony Plain that has all kinds of rough cut coastal fir, his add # on kijiji is Ad ID 1515589666. Have a look at the add, and shoot him an email.

This was under rough lumber, in all catergories on kijiji, etc.

Good Luck!
Old 08-09-2020, 01:48 PM

Sundre. Do not go to the big main mill. Go to the small one just on the west side of it. I know where it is and can't remember the name. Talk to Monty
Old 08-09-2020, 01:55 PM

Its not very local, but when I was at the Rona in Invermere, BC, there was signage noting they'd custom mill lumber to spec.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:14 PM

In Edmonton I’m pretty sure Superior Lumber has a good selection of fir
Old 08-09-2020, 03:36 PM

You could try Minchau Lumber near Millet. They do their own milling and may have fir.

Also, lots of old barns had fir lumber. There are companies that dismantle old barns and sell the wood. Or a farmer with a barn to come down might have some fir timbers.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-09-2020, 04:18 PM

I’ve used allot of fir over the years for some wide plank flooring jobs we do, word of caution is make sure it is dry, I mean kiln dryed.
Stuff moves around and cracks lots.
Btw in the same boat as you , have a stack of raised panel edge grain fir doors stained and finished ready for install in my own house
I think I’m going paint grade for jams and trim.
I have bought a pile of fir floors and even sided my barn w fir from Larry at Mardis mill just outside fort Steele close to cranbrook.
He is good to deal with.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:12 PM

Golden spike in stony is great
Old 08-09-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Sundre. Do not go to the big main mill. Go to the small one just on the west side of it. I know where it is and can't remember the name. Talk to Monty
Gap Creek
Old 08-09-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleflyfisher View Post
I’ve used allot of fir over the years for some wide plank flooring jobs we do, word of caution is make sure it is dry, I mean kiln dryed.
Stuff moves around and cracks lots.
Btw in the same boat as you , have a stack of raised panel edge grain fir doors stained and finished ready for install in my own house
I think I’m going paint grade for jams and trim.
I have bought a pile of fir floors and even sided my barn w fir from Larry at Mardis mill just outside fort Steele close to cranbrook.
He is good to deal with.
My doors are pine and they are painted, I just want a tougher wood for the casings as that is what usually gets the dings. The casing will get painted as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-09-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
My doors are pine and they are painted, I just want a tougher wood for the casings as that is what usually gets the dings. The casing will get painted as well.
In the old days we'd just have ordered clear fir. Tough to find fir these days, it's just not a common wood anymore. If you're going to paint it, go with MDF, cheap and will do the job.

Grizz
Old 08-09-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
In the old days we'd just have ordered clear fir. Tough to find fir these days, it's just not a common wood anymore. If you're going to paint it, go with MDF, cheap and will do the job.

Grizz
Due to health issues I have a lot of trouble with MDF, especially cutting it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-09-2020, 08:50 PM

https://hcforestproducts.com/products
Old 08-09-2020, 10:33 PM

Just saw some on bookface marketplace.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...32659213419689

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...98580624474424
Old 08-10-2020, 10:29 AM

Default fir

Most homes now built with MDF which I call cardboard wood. Your pine way better than MDF. Most rig matts now being built with fir so I am sure boys not paying $1000/FBM. Last house I built, Nelson lumber had lots of fir at similar price to spruce. 2x10,s should still be available which you can cut down, always very good quality wood. Best home builders still used it for joists on high end homes. Kiln dried probably only @19% MC though.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I just replace all interior doors in the house, solid six panel doors. The wife would like custom door casings. I would like to use fir, the price of s4s fir is crazy. I have the tools and ability to use rough lumber to make moldings. Does anyone know where I might be able to get 4/4 rough fir. 6" or wider would work for me.
UFA in medicine hat carries rough cut 4x4 and 4x6, not sure if it's fir or spruce.