Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 10:33 AM

Arrow "The Unraveling of America"

A recent timely article from RollingStone, written by a Canadian Anthropologist ➡ https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...davis-1038206/

One of a number of good quotes from the article:
"Those who flock to beaches, bars, and political rallies, putting their fellow citizens at risk, are not exercising freedom; they are displaying, as one commentator has noted, the weakness of a people who lack both the stoicism to endure the pandemic and the fortitude to defeat it."

I for one, hope the author is wrong ... and they won't continue to 'Unravel'. But having lived down there for 12+ years in my younger days, I don't think the USofA has been so divided, and in such disarray & polarised, since the days of the Vietnam War.

And it continues to get worse ... Sad.

Selkirk
Old 08-10-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
A recent timely article from RollingStone, written by a Canadian Anthropologist ➡ https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...davis-1038206/

"Those who flock to beaches, bars, and political rallies, putting their fellow citizens at risk, are not exercising freedom; they are displaying, as one commentator has noted, the weakness of a people who lack both the stoicism to endure the pandemic and the fortitude to defeat it."

I for one, hope the author is wrong ... and they won't continue to 'Unravel'. But having lived down there for 12+ years in my younger days, I don't think the USofA has been so divided, and in such disarray & polarised, since the days of the Vietnam War.

Selkirk
This same rolling stone, that put Justin Trudeau on a pedestal. Said Canada 🇨🇦 next great leader? How wrong the Stone is. Opinions don’t matter.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:59 AM

I wonder if the author would suggest that the average Canadian has any more stoicism or fortitude. I would suggest we do not.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:15 PM

Left wing rag.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:12 PM

You could substitute Canada for the USA, only here the PM was actually participating in protests, while ignoring social distancing
Old 08-10-2020, 01:17 PM

What pandemic are they needing stoicism to endure again?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-10-2020, 03:03 PM

They'll have their second civil war in less than 10 years.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 08-10-2020, 03:29 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing that, Selkirk. There are a handful of us on here who would agree with the author.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 08-10-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
They'll have their second civil war in less than 10 years.
My bet is, after November.

Grizz
Old 08-10-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
This same rolling stone, that put Justin Trudeau on a pedestal. Said Canada 🇨🇦 next great leader? How wrong the Stone is. Opinions don’t matter.

You know what they say about opinions?

BW
Old 08-10-2020, 05:17 PM

Arrow ... Think Again ❗

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post

I wonder if the author would suggest that the average Canadian has any more stoicism or fortitude. I would suggest we do not.

At least at present, I would suggest we 'Do'

As a good example, look at the COVID-19 stats for both countries, on a 'Per Capita' basis (i.e. # of cases per capita / # in hospital per capita / # of deaths per capita). Canada has one of the best COVID-19 stats in the world ... while the USofA has, by far, the Worst stats in the world.

Go Figure . . .

Selkirk
Old 08-10-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:

As a good example, look at the COVID-19 stats for both countries, on a 'Per Capita' basis (i.e. # of cases per capita / # in hospital per capita / # of deaths per capita). Canada has one of the best COVID-19 stats in the world ... while the USofA has, by far, the Worst stats in the world.

Go Figure . . .

Selkirk
Source?
According to Statistica deaths per million:
Belgium. 864.29
Uniyted Kingdome 700.48
Peru 658.72
Spain 610.03
Italy. 582.56
Sweden. 565.93
Chile. 538.04
USA. 479.12

And so on......

Osky

Go figure
Old 08-10-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Go Figure . . .

Selkirk
The USA has nine times our population density, so obviously the odds of exposure are much higher. If we had as many large cites as the USA, our stats would likely be just as bad.

And our own idiot PM was out participating in protests, and many Canadians still support the fool.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Selkirk
Great article but it must be read completely. Strap in for a wild ride just around the corner.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Selkirk
Victor Hanson Davis has a book out you may find very interesting.
It is called “Mexifornia”

It goes into incredible detail on the fast downward spiral of this country. It serves as a warning to you good people as well.

Osky
Old 08-10-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Selkirk
Great article but it must be read completely. Strap in for a wild ride just around the corner.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:47 PM

LOL at another left wing, woke culture echo chamber like rolling stone whining that people need to be more stoic of all things. The irony is laughable.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
My bet is, after November.

Grizz
X2