Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-20-2020, 10:46 AM

Default Rangefinding binos worth it?

Hey guys,

I need to get a new set of glass and a rangefinder. I’ve been considering getting the Nikon Lazerforce 2 in 1 binos. I’m thinking by doing that, I can shrink my kit down. Any advice on rangefinding binos in general? Love them or hate them?

Cheers
Old 08-20-2020, 10:47 AM

I absolutely love them. I bought the vortex fury and I will never go back to a two piece set up
Old 08-20-2020, 11:00 AM
Banned

Worth every penny
I have a set of the older gen ZEISS range finding binos that I’m selling
I upgraded the the new Bluetooth ones
Shoot me a pm
I’m in Edmonton also
Old 08-20-2020, 11:05 AM

I’ve had rangefinding binos for about 10 years.
I’d never go back to a pair of binoculars and separate rangefinder.
Especially with the options available these days. They’re clearer, faster, more accurate and good to longer ranges than they used to be. My first pair was Leica geovid 10x42. Cost around $2600 used... didn’t have any special functions or options, and could range a building to a max of 1500-1600 yards. I sold them a few weeks ago and bought a SIG kilo 3000. LOVE IT! The farthest range I’ve gotten was a hay bale at 3200 yards, it’s lightning fast and has a TON of options and choices. It also syncs with my SIG sierra rifle scope - and though i haven’t tried that out in the field, it works great off the bench.
My buddy bought the Vortex rangefinding binoculars a few weeks ago, and we compared them last night. I think the vortex will go a little farther, but the SIG appeared to have clearer glass. The SIG was on sale at bass pro when i bought them for $250 off. I don’t know if it still is. Might be worth looking into, if you’re in the market. I got them for $1300.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:07 PM

RF binos work well. Make sure you get the ones with good glass though. like Leica, Swaro etc. The drawback is the combo units are quite a bit heavier than the same bino without. Other thing is, if you are left eye dominant they may not be the answer. I sold my Geovids because the range shows in the right eye only and made it hard to see because I am heavily left eye dominant. I went back to the Leica CRF and Leica Duovid 8x12x50
Old 08-20-2020, 01:38 PM

Mine are an older set of Leica Geovids.
Personally speaking I think that RF binoculars are one of the better innovations in the last 40 years .
Cat
Old 08-20-2020, 01:47 PM

Default Rangefinder Binos

When I decided to go with the a rangefinding Bino,I picked the Leica HDB’s and have yet to regret that decision,having the combination of both a rangefinder and bino’s is so convenient,the price was a little high but after using them they are deff worth the expense,fig what your budget is and start to compare units,I compared lots of diff range bino sets,and the Leicas clarity even with my left eye having a stigmatism is unbelievable really,good luck with your purchase,I’m sure you will be happy with your decision.The Swarovski are great to.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:04 PM

I have the LEICA 10x42 HDB 3000 model they will do almost anything that you ask of them
Old 08-20-2020, 03:23 PM

They are a huge time saver, you range the animal, as you decide if it's an animal you want, no need to put down your binoculars, and pick up a rangefinder to range the animal
Old 08-20-2020, 04:34 PM

I got a 50% off deal on a pair of bushnell fusions about 10 years ago. I love them. I will admit the glass is not swaro or leica, and it's obvious when you compare side by side, but the range finder is easily as good or better. I couldn't justify paying the price for euro.
There are times when I wish I had better glass. But those times make me be a better hunter.