Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2014, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
that upsets me to no end. people who will never step foot or make personal use of land keeping it out of reach of those that will is a travesty.
They do lease the land back to farmers in the area, so it is used, but may never be actually owned by a farmer, but I totally understand your concern. Driving through the country side over the past 10-15 years, it is sickening to see the amount of small farm houses/building that are abandoned.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakogreywolf View Post

As far as growing one crop continuously year after year........that would be farming suicide. To many pests, weeds and diseases to contend with as a result.
Many farmers grow the same crops every year, they alternate fields but still grown the same thing.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:38 AM

Smile A little help

No body can predict the future so here's my advice.

Find out what the county has it assessed at. That will be the market value price, they use comparisons to what other nearby land has sold for.

The land itself can be looked as farm land, what does pasture rent for in the area, the county ag man will know. Does the lumber in the bush land have any commercial value?

Last point who owns the other 1/2 of the 1/4, when was it subdivided and why? The neighbor can build on it, put up a pig barn, sell it, etc.

Has the land been over grazed or has it been well cared for?

Can you buy the whole 1/4?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Many farmers grow the same crops every year, they alternate fields but still grown the same thing.
Agreed. In fact all farmers, for the most part, grow the same crops year after year.......but not on the same piece of ground year after year. Perhaps I misunderstood your post.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:00 PM

No trying to derision but I've been looking online for raw land for sale with very little success can anyone point me in the right direction?

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 11-11-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Really ? So you believe we should have all lands go commercial and make profits from the dirt... Sad.
I believe the opposite actually, lands not in use should be sold into public trust, or returned to crown control and if a member of the public wishes to use that land should be allowed to buy it. if youre not a member of this society you should have no right to the resources this society manages and protects.

Canada and Canadians first and let our model of peace and prosperity be a lesson for the rest of the world.

of course we need leaders who believe and support the prosperity of all Canadians rich and poor(we really shouldn't have poor people with the vast amount of land and resources under our control) alike regardlessss of which part of the nation they live in.

the only sad thing here is your baseless assumption.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 11-11-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
Was in 2008
Pretty rare for those now. Still see guite a few in the $45 - $70,000 range tho
What area of Saskatchewan are we talking about?
Old 11-11-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhawk View Post
What area of Saskatchewan are we talking about?
Northwest & east and east central
Old 11-11-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
So what? Why are you bringing that up?

$110k is pretty solid. I just bought an acreage in Athabasca county and before I bought I was looking at 80 acres bush and creek front for $105 k, with nothing else on it. So 110 for cleared and fenced land seems pretty ok by me.
I thought this thread was talking about land prices? I was in business through the 70's and 80's and I saw what an increase in interest rates can do not only land prices but the whole economy and if you were on the paying end it wasn't pretty. It will happen again. Just a thought and reminder from an old timer, I apologize if I offended anyone.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
Northwest & east and east central
I have a pretty good fix on land prices in Northwest Saskatchewan. I can't imagine any bush quarter going for less than $120,000 and more likely closer to $150,000.