Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2017, 07:35 PM

Default Creeks - June 16

New to fly fishing and was wondering if there are any fishable creeks within 2 hours of calgary this upcoming weekend? Cheers!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:44 PM

Post Creeks

I will let you know you know on Saturday
Old 06-13-2017, 11:03 AM

There are a gazillion. Cheers.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:07 AM

Care to offer a few names over PM? Im new to Calgary as well so completly clueless
Old 06-13-2017, 12:32 PM

From all reports they're all high & muddy these days... but once they drop, the Highwood, the Sheep, Little Red are all good places to start... The Bow is also great fishing but like I said the rain & runoff got em all running high & dirty right now.....
Old 06-13-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasedFish View Post
New to fly fishing and was wondering if there are any fishable creeks within 2 hours of calgary this upcoming weekend? Cheers!
Basically, nobody is going to answer your question directly. They're just going to leave smart-alec remarks. Welcome to the Alberta fishing scene.

You need to grab yourself a copy of the Alberta Fishing Guide. You will likely only need to buy it once every five years unless you're interested in the articles. It contains the names of many fishable waterbodies (lakes, creeks, rivers, ponds) with directions and species reference. These are by no means the only fishable waters, but it is quite comprehensive.

You can find this at any Canadian Tire, Walmart, bookstore.... Canadian Tire is like the easiest as the magazine is usually placed right at most checkouts. They also have an online version.

http://www.albertafishingguide.com

the mag is much better... more detail for access and what not.

For now, try the Waiparous area or head to Kananaskis Country (highway 40). Lots of creeks in that area, but not all are great fishing. Still, it gets you started and the scenery is terrific.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:32 PM

Thanks Commie. Just want something to practice on that is safe and nice for the opening of the season. Will take your suggestions.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:33 PM

Unhappy Creeks

Actually there are a lot of potential creeks but it really will depend on the weather between now and Friday and you really won't know until then. With the amount of snow in the high country we could be fishing lakes for a while yet
Old 06-13-2017, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasedFish View Post
Thanks Commie. Just want something to practice on that is safe and nice for the opening of the season. Will take your suggestions.
3 posts eh? And expect people on here to spill the beans on a subject like this? Wow, you got some nerve!
Old 06-13-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
3 posts eh? And expect people on here to spill the beans on a subject like this? Wow, you got some nerve!
Easy there Wildbill. Didnt know you owned all of the land out here. I have fished lakes all of my life in Ontario and always happy to suggest some places to beginners to start out. I am new to the area and new to fly fishing so was simply asking for a couple places to get my feet wet. Thanks to those who provided suggestions. I will rack up a 100 posts of bull**** before I dare ask another question.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:51 PM

The link commieboy posted isn't actually affiliated with the Alberta fishing guide magazine/Jensen's who've taken over the mag after Barry passed away.

This is the proper website associated with the mag:

http://afgmag.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLayden View Post
The link commieboy posted isn't actually affiliated with the Alberta fishing guide magazine/Jensen's who've taken over the mag after Barry passed away.

This is the proper website associated with the mag:

http://afgmag.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was actually beginning to wonder about that!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:31 AM

Welcome to the forum and the area. You picked a good one - as already stated there are a gazillion areas to choose from.

A quick hit area to start with is actually the Elbow River right in town. My favorite spot is just west of the city off Highway 22 between Highway 8 and the Trans Canada. There is a place to pull your vehicle off and walk from there. Note this is a transition point in the regulations. Confirm yourself but I think its all catch and release west of the highway with some species being ok to keep to the east.

I've had good success here with brown trout on orange stimulators. It may be a bit murky this weekend but if you're itching to go I wouldn't stop you.

Most of the guys in local fly shops will be willing to expand on other areas.

Best of luck.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:37 AM

Might be best on some smaller creeks like fish creek and jumping pound but I also haven't seen them so I don't actually know what condition they are in
Old 06-17-2017, 09:41 AM

Half the fun is searching for creeks.

Travel the forestry trunk road west of Caroline.

There are almost invisible creeks invisible as you drive along at 80 km/hr.

Slow down and look for little 2 foot wide creek access points. Packed full of aggressive little brookies. Dabble a royal Wolff and let it skitter slowly downstream.

Tons.

Then keep exploring.

Remember to clean, drain, dry all gear to prevent spread of whirling disease.

Also most trout in streams are either catch and release or too small to keep or against regs like bull trout.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-17-2017, 04:55 PM

nose creek is in calgary
i fly fished it on thursday and caught a bunch of

nothing
Old 06-17-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Lol...
Old 06-17-2017, 07:42 PM

Thanks everyone going to check out and explore Trunk Rd. tomorrow. Hopefully won't fall upon Wild Bills spot and **** his day up
Old 06-17-2017, 07:49 PM

I had a great day teaching a "Learn to Fly Fish" course today! Found some crystal clear water and the participants even caught fish!!

-Confucius