Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Default Stuart island Fishing Trip

I got a call from a buddy this weekend wondering if I was available to join him for a 3 day fishing trip based out of Stuart Island on the west coast the week of July 23-27. Of course I jumped at the opportunity. I have never fished for salmon or halibut, so I can't wait for this adventure!

I don't know a ton of the details yet, but wondering if anyone has any experience fishing around Stuart island and what type of fish we can expect in the back half of July?

Tight lines!

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 08:33 PM

We fish what the locals call East Turlow but is just off of Sonora. It is a short run from Stuart and will be fun going threw the Arron rapids. We have fished south of there also and still catch fish, just with less people around.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
We fish what the locals call East Turlow but is just off of Sonora. It is a short run from Stuart and will be fun going threw the Arron rapids. We have fished south of there also and still catch fish, just with less people around.
When you said "rapids" I wasn't sure what you meant since it is the ocean.

Googled it and found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZJlYBiUI-A

Looks like the Reversing Falls in NB!

Is this due to tides too?
Old 06-20-2017, 10:39 PM

There is another spot just south of Stuart (I think) called the Hole in the wall that is just as wild. You can catch just about anything that the coast has in the water around there. I have never fished Bute inlet but it looks good on the map, it looks like our rivers in high water the 2 time I went by.