Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you wear your life jacket/vest/PFD?
Kids wear them, adults don't 36 25.00%
Wear a life vest 44 30.56%
Wear a full life jacket (keyhole style) 8 5.56%
Wear an inflatable PFD 36 25.00%
Use them as seat cushions 20 13.89%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2017, 12:39 PM

While traveling yes. While stopped or trolling no.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:05 PM

Just a comment on the fanny pack style inflatables. They will not keep your head above water if you get knocked out or struggle in waves. A regular suspender style inflatable will keep your head out of the water (they go around behind your head).

Also, if you carry the inflatables make sure you have a rearm kit in the boat somewhere. I had my inflatable go off in the storage locker last year after a day of heavy rain. The moisture caused the solid material holding back the spring pin to dissolve (like it is supposed to when you fall in) causing the unit to discharge. It would have ruined a trip if I didn't have a spare charge.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 06-20-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Just a comment on the fanny pack style inflatables. They will not keep your head above water if you get knocked out or struggle in waves. A regular suspender style inflatable will keep your head out of the water (they go around behind your head).

Also, if you carry the inflatables make sure you have a rearm kit in the boat somewhere. I had my inflatable go off in the storage locker last year after a day of heavy rain. The moisture caused the solid material holding back the spring pin to dissolve (like it is supposed to when you fall in) causing the unit to discharge. It would have ruined a trip if I didn't have a spare charge.

SS
The newer fanny pack ones can keep your head up as long as your conscious https://mustangsurvival.com//recreat...outubeplayer-0

What brand and model of auto inflate do you have that falsely went off?
Mine so far has not and I have been out in many a rain storm and always store it in the boat locker, except for winter. Perhaps I have just been lucky. I did ask 3 different reps, including one from the west coast about this very issue and they said it was a non issue and to just get the bobbin style instead of the hydrostatic.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Mine is a Cabela's brand. Not HIT, but the AIT/MIT version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-20-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:

SS
Nothing keeps your head above water if you're not conscience to pull the string.

Least for me since I want one for wading an automatic would be pointless.

Last edited by millsboy79; 06-20-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:36 PM

I was in WSS couple of years back and they had the HIT inflatables on sale for a real good price so I bought one. Do not even know you have it on.

I do not ask others on my boat to wear a jacket but if they ask I have more on board for them. Little kids always wear them in my boat, no exceptions.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Nothing keeps your head above water if you're not conscience to pull the string.

Yeah, the auto inflate ones do the minute you hit the water.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Wrong. HIT and auto inflatables will as well as normal life jackets.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
As Samsteele says the auto inflates do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eSBnMF7xhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5iN2BNjtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqyjG9ml8GM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VVQoUfi_R4
Old 06-20-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the auto inflate ones do the minute you hit the water.

Hense the edit.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I know ... I use the manual one.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
You guys are all on the ball that's for sure.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:01 PM

We don't wear them, only the kids we take around wear them.

We should.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 PM

I can just see what is going to happen when somebody realizes that chest protectors can also save lives in cars, everyone is going to eventually start putting one on before they drive. With as many car accidents that have happened in our area lately, boating is way less of a risk of dying than riding in a car. I am curious how many folks fall out of their boats every year while fishing. Furthermore, we have had several casualties here in Manitoba this year already, with folks that were said to have had their life jackets on.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...toba-1.4127497
Old 06-20-2017, 11:19 PM

I pulled the cord on mine this year.
Tipped the canoe after some rapids.
I didn't pull it right away, but the river was flowing fast, and I was having a hard time trying to swim the canoe to the shore.
I was glad to have that option.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:29 AM

I own a paddling life vest. I always wear it. Always.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:42 AM

Me and the wife both use life jackets every time we get on the water with our canoe.
Accidents happens. Doesn't take much for a tragedy to occur.
I'm sure there is more chances to drown than to win the lottery...
Old 06-21-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
I can just see what is going to happen when somebody realizes that chest protectors can also save lives in cars, everyone is going to eventually start putting one on before they drive. With as many car accidents that have happened in our area lately, boating is way less of a risk of dying than riding in a car. I am curious how many folks fall out of their boats every year while fishing. Furthermore, we have had several casualties here in Manitoba this year already, with folks that were said to have had their life jackets on.
To each is own... I'm assuming yours are extra seat cushions...
I didn't start this thread with any bias to turn life jackets into the next atv helmet law, I was just curious how many folks actually wear their pfds as I never did until getting an inflatable that you simply forget your wearing.

Last year we went from a small tippy 12 ft Jon boat to a 18 ft wide body fishing boat and I think I'm probably 3x as likely to end up in the drink with the new boat as we are constantly standing and moving around, stay out in bigger water and feel unsinkable so to speak... We respected the water and the limitations of the old boat, both lean over the side and you were going swimming.

J
Old 06-21-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip911 View Post
To each is own... I'm assuming yours are extra seat cushions...
I didn't start this thread with any bias to turn life jackets into the next atv helmet law, I was just curious how many folks actually wear their pfds as I never did until getting an inflatable that you simply forget your wearing.

Last year we went from a small tippy 12 ft Jon boat to a 18 ft wide body fishing boat and I think I'm probably 3x as likely to end up in the drink with the new boat as we are constantly standing and moving around, stay out in bigger water and feel unsinkable so to speak... We respected the water and the limitations of the old boat, both lean over the side and you were going swimming.

J
So it seems you think boating is more dangerous than cars, which I disagree with. How many folks have you seen killed every year in cars compared to boating deaths? How many folks go out on the water that don't know how to swim in the first place? There are so many situations that a single brush doesn't cover them all. The kids always wore life jackets in our boat, even though they took swimming lessons. Even if I were to fall out of the boat and were a large person, there is a reason you have a reboarding device attached to the boat, which should also be mandatory even if you have a life preserver on if you really want to play it safe. Most folks I know that hit the drink have always been in small tippy boats or canoes. The only person I know that was thrown from a larger boat was a friend that hit a sandbar at full throttle. We also make sure we do use our lifejackets when we are getting on the step, because water can have unknowns just below the surface that can destroy your boat. It just sits wrong with me that some people want a nanny state that worries about the slim chance someone could die in a highly unlikely situation, but they aren't worried about other areas where the chance of people getting hurt or dying are at much higher odds. It's also the nanny state folks that are always right with their opinions even if they have nothing more to back up their side of the story than the folks on the other side do.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
The stats are that FISHING is number one or number 2 in drowning related fatalities. So apparently quite a few folks fall out while fishing.

The stats also say 90% of fatalities did not have a life jacket on so while your correct it is not 100% it is still very significant.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:05 AM

If you are not wearing them then don't waste the space in your boat storing them.
They are of no use to you if not being worn.

I was out shore fishing on the Kootenay Lake last summer and witnessed a boat of 5 people capsize in windy period. A 12' tin boat towing a canoe full of gear.

No one had a PFD on as the vests were seen floating in the water. All the people survived even though in the back of my mind I am thinking; I am going to witness a drowning.
This all happened about 500 meters from shore. Two boats in the water did the rescue.....putting their lives at risk.

Once on shore everyone was experiencing hypothermia and all drunk as skunks......

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
If you are not wearing them then don't waste the space in your boat storing them.
They are of no use to you if not being worn.

I was out shore fishing on the Kootenay Lake last summer and witnessed a boat of 5 people capsize in windy period. A 12' tin boat towing a canoe full of gear.

No one had a PFD on as the vests were seen floating in the water. All the people survived even though in the back of my mind I am thinking; I am going to witness a drowning.
This all happened about 500 meters from shore. Two boats in the water did the rescue.....putting their lives at risk.

Once on shore everyone was experiencing hypothermia and all drunk as skunks......
Except it's illegal not to have them in your boat.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:02 PM

Depends on the craft and the situation. Canoeing and kayaking, I wear a pfd. I've flipped before. In my 18 ft very stable fishing boat, I usually don't, unless the weather is very rough.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Always, before I bought my inflatables I wore Mustang vests except in the fall when i wear floater suits if it is real cold out.
But yeah, ALWAYS- nobody gets in my boat without one on.
Cat
Learned from my Dad who insisted everyone in his boat wore one always, one fellow tried to tell my dad he did not need one... Dad said that's fin but you are staying on the dock.

Never heard of anyone saying... I am glad I was not wearing my life jacket oif they go into the water...

As for those using them as seat cushions... try putting one on in the water when you are fully immersed.....
Old 06-21-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
I insist that all wear a lifevest while the boat is under power. What I have been lax at is attaching the kill lanyard to the boat driver, I will be doing that going forward.

That said the inflatables are great for adults, I just have not found an inflatable that works for the kids. The traditional vests are bulky etc. but that's just the way it is!!

Suggestions for an inflatable for the Gkids?? 4 - 12 years??
I do this as well...while under power. Once I am stopped or even trolling , I don't wear it. But my kids wear them at all times.

Yeah....that kill lanyard thingy.....ummmm.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015