Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Default Perch

A few nice & tasty ones for the pan!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0658.jpg (93.0 KB, 387 views)
Old 06-18-2017, 09:32 PM

Nice!
Old 06-18-2017, 10:02 PM

Question Perch

Nice looking perch how you catching those guys?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 AM

Lookin good man!
Old 06-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinph View Post
Nice looking perch how you catching those guys?
"How I'm catching these" you ask..... LOTS of patience, 30 years of experience, 1/2 million or more kilometres on the truck, countless days searching year round, some proven self learned presentations and techniques, a lot of trial and error, and above all else a little skill and a lot of luck! Honestly, I wouldn't be able to condense 30 years of knowledge and experience in to this response as there are many many possible answers to your question. It all starts with finding and identifying water bodies that hold Jumbo Perch first and then spending a lot of time trying to figure out their seasonal tendencies and forage preferences so you can target them year round. Until you know this it takes blind luck to land on top of them and start catching them. Example, Within the same lake sometimes you can have part of the Perch population that are bug eaters and another part that are meat eaters. Because of this they will not necessarily be found in the same spots or be caught by the same methods. I will say this however, a good underwater camera is a necessity year round because it doesn't lie! Secondly, the first mistake most people make is always fishing shallow and by that I mean 15 ft or less. Jumbo's, I'm talking 12" and over aren't really all that afraid of anything. By the time they get to that size they are no longer prey except for the largest apex predators in the lake and so they will use the entire lake. I had a Pike rush in on camera this winter, estimate maybe around a 6lber or so, it missed my hook and in that split second it was sitting there a Jumbo rushed in right beside the Pike while on camera and absolutely slammed my hook without fear of predation. Would you also believe me if I said I routinely catch Jumbos in water 30 ft to 50 ft deep? Well I do and they are just as likely to be there as they can be in 3 ft of water or 10 ft of water. They are constantly on the move, roaming around and grazing like Cattle on any available forage and wherever that may take them. Makes finding them a challenge and catching them very rewarding. Anyone can catch small Perch in the shallows, but Jumbo's can be anywhere and they didn't get big by being stupid. This is where the skill and the luck both come in handy! All that said, you can always find some Jumbos in rather predictable locations because like I said they can be anywhere and everywhere, but to catch them consistently takes an investment in time and patience. Good Luck!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
"How I'm catching these" you ask..... LOTS of patience, 30 years of experience, 1/2 million or more kilometres on the truck, countless days searching year round, some proven self learned presentations and techniques, a lot of trial and error, and above all else a little skill and a lot of luck! Honestly, I wouldn't be able to condense 30 years of knowledge and experience in to this response as there are many many possible answers to your question. It all starts with finding and identifying water bodies that hold Jumbo Perch first and then spending a lot of time trying to figure out their seasonal tendencies and forage preferences so you can target them year round. Until you know this it takes blind luck to land on top of them and start catching them. Example, Within the same lake sometimes you can have part of the Perch population that are bug eaters and another part that are meat eaters. Because of this they will not necessarily be found in the same spots or be caught by the same methods. I will say this however, a good underwater camera is a necessity year round because it doesn't lie! Secondly, the first mistake most people make is always fishing shallow and by that I mean 15 ft or less. Jumbo's, I'm talking 12" and over aren't really all that afraid of anything. By the time they get to that size they are no longer prey except for the largest apex predators in the lake and so they will use the entire lake. I had a Pike rush in on camera this winter, estimate maybe around a 6lber or so, it missed my hook and in that split second it was sitting there a Jumbo rushed in right beside the Pike while on camera and absolutely slammed my hook without fear of predation. Would you also believe me if I said I routinely catch Jumbos in water 30 ft to 50 ft deep? Well I do and they are just as likely to be there as they can be in 3 ft of water or 10 ft of water. They are constantly on the move, roaming around and grazing like Cattle on any available forage and wherever that may take them. Makes finding them a challenge and catching them very rewarding. Anyone can catch small Perch in the shallows, but Jumbo's can be anywhere and they didn't get big by being stupid. This is where the skill and the luck both come in handy! All that said, you can always find some Jumbos in rather predictable locations because like I said they can be anywhere and everywhere, but to catch them consistently takes an investment in time and patience. Good Luck!
Well said! So which lake so we can come destroy it 😆
Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 PM

Lol I could tell you Kevin....but then...no guarantees you could either find them nor catch them haha! Well maybe you could, anyone else Maybe not. I wouldn't be able to tell you though without making Super Mario upset! Oh ya, sorry, different lake, he doesn't know about this one yet either lol!
Old 06-20-2017, 10:24 PM

Just go to slave and be done with it. Ain't no mystery just gotta drop anchor and fish for perch instead of pike and wallies. Put in your time on the west half and you will get world class perch. Quality trumps quantity out there they are loners and found with the wallies at their depth. No big deal.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Just go to slave and be done with it. Ain't no mystery just gotta drop anchor and fish for perch instead of pike and wallies. Put in your time on the west half and you will get world class perch. Quality trumps quantity out there they are loners and found with the wallies at their depth. No big deal.
Ya tell me about! I had an absolute Mule of a Humpy get off halfway up my hole and it broke my heart out there this past winter. Was for sure a mounter. I watched the whole hookset on camera, thought I was golden until the hook popped and it went slack. Near jerked the rod right out of my hand when I leaned back to set the hook on it. I was using a 3" Parkers Minnow on slender spoon rigged laying across two hooks on the treble. Same rig caught me a 6# Burb, my two keeper Walters, a Jack and a nice White! Surprised the hell out of me!