Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2014, 05:22 PM

Thumbs down "To deny a group of children, for the sake of one . . . "

Alternate title: "Teacher makes bad call"

Note in this linked article, that there is no mention of the one child's parents making such a request. This appears to be something the teacher conjured up, all on her own ... https://ca.news.yahoo.com/remembranc...213742633.html

Mac
Old 11-09-2014, 05:33 PM

The only reason that any of us have the freedom to believe what we want to believe is because people fought and died to ensure us that right. Since when does being thankful go against someone's beliefs?
Boggles my mind.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:47 PM

Another reason to dislike liberal bureaucrats and the watch tower cult.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:45 PM

I have 2 issues with this thread. One, what the teacher and librarian agreed to do with these children is where you should find issue, not with anyone's belief system. If that was the case then we can stop claiming to have religious freedom in this country. Two that soldiers dying on foreign soil have anything to do with the religious freedoms found in this country. Those religious freedoms were cemented in the supreme court of Canada in a court trial that involved the Premier of Quebec and was not resolved until after the second world war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_jGrPTbmmg

The premier lost in court and was found personally responsible.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:20 AM

The teacher definitely overstepped her bounds.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-10-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
But it appears, she got away with it ... go figure

Mac
Old 11-11-2014, 09:09 AM

Political correctness on steroids! Seems to be everywhere today. Truly a shame.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:32 AM

Parents have the right to keep their kid at home if they wish but not force their beliefs on me or my kid. End of story
Old 11-11-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgitz View Post
The only reason that any of us have the freedom to believe what we want to believe is because people fought and died to ensure us that right. Since when does being thankful go against someone's beliefs?
Boggles my mind.
This remembrance day, I think I get something I never got before: Remembrance day is only of significance to a subset of canada's current population.

Looking around my workplace, I see a lack of poppies, and for once in my life, I finally "get it".

WWI and WWII weren't wars of significance to a great deal of these folks. No more than say.... The Sino-Jap war was to us. (Did you mark your calendar :-) ?

My Irish Co worker... he doesn't care.... The English were never his people's friends.

My Indian Co worker... he doesn't care... the English were never his people's friends either.

My german cow-worker.... well, he's not about to mark the occasion of his people's loss of two wars.

The chinese... the filipinos...they don't care. Neither does the Iranian...

The hispanics I work with have seen enough war, and believe that it was caused by white people...

The muslim... he's had his fill of what he sees as "White people's wars".

The other ex-mil fellow in the workplace wears his poppy, which is cool.

Some will protest my point, and say "But it's not just about WWI and WWII... " and I'd agree, kind of. Depending on who you talk to, it's about peace, about supporting our troops in current wars, and about supporting our vetrans of wars past.... or all or some of the above.

But I think to a great number of folks who weren't born here, this is "someone else's holiday".

And I get it.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Parents have the right to keep their kid at home if they wish but not force their beliefs on me or my kid. End of story
Why are your beliefs the default, and anyone elses beliefs "Imposed"?

Does that not suggest a certain supremacy of your ideas over others?
Old 11-11-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
This remembrance day, I think I get something I never got before: Remembrance day is only of significance to a subset of canada's current population.

Looking around my workplace, I see a lack of poppies, and for once in my life, I finally "get it".

WWI and WWII weren't wars of significance to a great deal of these folks. No more than say.... The Sino-Jap war was to us. (Did you mark your calendar :-) ?

My Irish Co worker... he doesn't care.... The English were never his people's friends.

My Indian Co worker... he doesn't care... the English were never his people's friends either.

My german cow-worker.... well, he's not about to mark the occasion of his people's loss of two wars.

The chinese... the filipinos...they don't care. Neither does the Iranian...

The hispanics I work with have seen enough war, and believe that it was caused by white people...

The muslim... he's had his fill of what he sees as "White people's wars".

The other ex-mil fellow in the workplace wears his poppy, which is cool.

Some will protest my point, and say "But it's not just about WWI and WWII... " and I'd agree, kind of. Depending on who you talk to, it's about peace, about supporting our troops in current wars, and about supporting our vetrans of wars past.... or all or some of the above.

But I think to a great number of folks who weren't born here, this is "someone else's holiday".

And I get it.

The way I see it is the those women and men died to preserve our way of life in this country. Regardless of whether or not time has proven we should or shouldn't have gone to war, their motivation was to protect their home, which is now our home.
For that reason, this day should mean something to all of us, whether we were born in Canada or immigrated here.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:20 PM

Iirc remembrance day was started to honor the dead of the first world war and to not go to war over the frivolous justification and the alliance system that brought countries who had no involvement in the cause.

an Austrian archduke was assassinated by a lone gunmen and countless millions died because of it.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 11-11-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
But it appears, she got away with it ... go figure

Mac
... or maybe she just new what was gonna fly within her school system.

It'd be nice if the reporter talked to the superintendent to see what the board's policy is.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
... or maybe she just new what was gonna fly within her school system.

It'd be nice if the reporter talked to the superintendent to see what the board's policy is.
Or the principal, or the teacher or somebody actually involved.

We have no clue about anything here, we really only have the version of a retired busybody( a provincial sport on PEI), who was told what happened. What was the accommodation asked? Really what was it, we know what Albrecht speculates, that is it. We have the version of a person with no kids involved.

It's Georgetown PEI, this school is likely under 100 kids. A tiny hole in the wall, last time I was there....no Tim Hortons! It would have been easy to talk to actual parents involved too. Could of found them on Facebook. The fact they didn't tells me this just another sensational story to get people riled up.

They called the dep't of Tourism, seriously Tourism. What about the school board. What about Georgetown school?

FYI: This is the province of accommodation. Albertan parents have far more power to demand accommodations be made for their kids than PEI parents. Be careful what you complain about.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:32 PM

It should be a mandatory prerequisite to Canadian citizenship that any person wanting to be a Canadian swear an oath of allegiance to this country and adopt its traditions or leave.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It should be a mandatory prerequisite to Canadian citizenship that any person wanting to be a Canadian swear an oath of allegiance to this country and adopt its traditions or leave.
If thats what you want, there's this nation to the south...

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 11-11-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Old 11-11-2014, 05:28 PM

This whole "Inclusiveness" and other PC BS has to stop. Has the school system lost its collective mind or become a Borg like collective mind. Never mind. The answer just became apparent. Tards.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
This whole "Inclusiveness" and other PC BS has to stop. Has the school system lost its collective mind or become a Borg like collective mind. Never mind. The answer just became apparent. Tards.
So is exclusion a better choice?

Old 11-11-2014, 05:47 PM

A cracked egg in every bunch is normal and thats life. This push for "inclusiveness" to the exclusion of everything else is a Ftard principal. Heaven help the next generations. Unicorns and Rainbows and unrealistic views of life in general will be the rule of the day. Oh wait, thats the way it already is. FML.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:06 PM

can't make an omelette without cracking some eggs.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:08 PM

As long as the eggs are the same color, size and from the same hen in the "Inclusiveness" school of thought.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
You bet, pretty soon we will know exactly how the Natives felt. Do you think they will give us special rights?
Old 11-11-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
As long as the eggs are the same color, size and from the same hen in the "Inclusiveness" school of thought.
Inclusiveness considers the omelette not the eggs is what I was getting at. with some cheese and peppers and ham. I'm hungry now.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
You bet, pretty soon we will know exactly how the Natives felt. Do you think they will give us special rights?
I sure hope so, and some reserves too!

Mac
Old 11-11-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Inclusiveness considers the omelette not the eggs is what I was getting at. with some cheese and peppers and ham. I'm hungry now.
I am always ready for an omelette. One of the joys of staying in camp.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
I sure hope so, and some reserves too!

Mac
Kind of a disrespectful line this thread is heading down now.

I'm out.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
If thats what you want, there's this nation to the south...
Nope, they are worse off down there than Canada, they have 50 million Illegals taking over their country. We don't need to end up like the US is going to.

There will never be a multicultural utopia like some people seem to want, it will never happen, people are born with a preference for their own kind. One group will always try to impose their customs on the other, we have had wars all over the world all through history, this will not change. Only the willful and dominant societies maintain their status quo and succeed.

If the Allies didn't beat down the Germans, we might be having this discussion in German. That's why we need Remembrance Day to remind us of this, and to remind new immigrants and the generations born since the great wars that the freedom and rights maintained by defeating the foe is why they want to immigrate here. They need to know this and honor those that died preserving this country they are now calling home.

Everybody who lives in this great country no matter where they came from or when they came here owe a debt of gratitude to those who gave their lives.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:34 PM

Actually, if there was a multicultural open minded society in Germany following the first world war, there would never been an opportunity for Hitler to take power. He fed off of peoples intolerance for ethnic minorities and their frustration after suffering the economic situation they had just been thru following the first world war. People were looking for a scapegoat and he gave them one.

He knew if you unite people against a common perceived threat, allow a people to feel superior to the minorities in their midst and tell them they are justified in dealing with them and they will turn a blind eye to all kinds of atrocities.

If people stood together and were open to each others beliefs and thinking, Hitler would never have been powerful, no conflict would have been required. How ever people were upset with the status quo, intolerant and looking for someone to blame.

That's the kind of sick thinking people went to war to fight against.

too bad that "me first, I'm right their wrong, What's wrong with his religion? " thinking is so prevalent everywhere.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattsdaddy_51 View Post
Actually, if there was a multicultural open minded society in Germany following the first world war, there would never been an opportunity for Hitler to take power. He fed off of peoples intolerance for ethnic minorities and their frustration after suffering the economic situation they had just been thru following the first world war. People were looking for a scapegoat and he gave them one.

He knew if you unite people against a common perceived threat, allow a people to feel superior to the minorities in their midst and tell them they are justified in dealing with them and they will turn a blind eye to all kinds of atrocities.

That's the kind of sick thinking people went to war to fight against.

too bad that "me first, I'm right their wrong, What's wrong with his religion? " thinking is so prevalent everywhere.
I agree completely.

We are all in when it comes to breaking someone else's egg to make the omelette, but we are entitled to have own egg left alone.