Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2014, 06:56 AM

Default Deer playing possum

Anyone ever experience this while deer hunting? I think I would soil myself lol

*Warning, there are a couple S words!*

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c79_1415704317
Old 11-11-2014, 07:17 AM

That isn't all that unusual if a person insists on taking head or neck shots. A bullet striking the skull, or along the spine can knock the animal out temporarily, and then it regains consciousness, a short time later. I was present when a whitetail buck was struck in the head, and when we walked up to the deer it tried to get up, and had to be shot again. I have also tracked other deer that were knocked down with head or neck shots, only to get up, and run away. This year a friend from work lost a moose that dropped at the shot, and by the time that they got to it, it was gone. They never found any blood, or hair, and they assumed that the bullet struck an antler close to the skull.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 AM

Years ago as a kid still too young to carry a rifle, my father shot a WT buck in the head by accident. When we got up to the deer it was lying on the ground and appeared dead or dying, unconscious, but still breathing. My father took out his knife and started to cut it's throat to bleed it out. As soon as the knife broke the skin, the buck leaped up catching my dad's jacket with it's antlers and tossed him several feet. Scared the hell out of both of us. Never saw the deer again. I learned from this incident to be very careful when approaching a downed animal. I approach from behind and touch the animals eye with my rifle barrel several times to confirm the animal is actually dead before beginning to field dress.