Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2014, 06:53 PM

Default question for gas fitters

I set up a mobile this summer with a propane furnace and water heater, and an overhead furnace in the shop(75,000 btu). The journeyman who installed the system ran 1/2" copper to each of the 3 appliances coming off one regulator at the 1000 gallon tank. The regulator is a combination high/low pressure regulator. The contractor who is installing the garage heater says this is wrong, and we need a high pressure reg at the tank and 3 secondary low pressures at the outside of the building. He said we wouldn't have enough propane during cold weather to run the appliances with this setup. Who's right?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:31 PM

I'm not a gas fitter but have instrument experience. I would go with one high pressure reg at the tank and low pressure regulators at each device.This insures adequate propane volumes for each user. But check with the provider does he guarantee his installation?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:37 PM

What I would do is first stage reg at tank and second stage at building entrance, run 1 blk pipe in (sized according to total btu's) and branch off at each appliance.
Copper tubing isn't cheap.
As far as legal, what u have should work, depending what size reg u have, how far your runs are and what size each unit is.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 PM

Default Regs

Okay, thanks. Sounds like the consensus is First stage at the tank, and 2nd stages at the building entrances. Contractor coming in the morning to remove the 2 stage reg. on the tank and refit. Thanks again!