Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Some people make soup out of the heads... sounds icky. I take my most impressive heads home and impale them on fence posts out in the pasture and sun dry them, then I can look a thing them for years to come! Poor mans taxidermy. I gotta bring some snapper and ling heads home this year. I'm gonna have to stick some coon traps underneath so the ignorant coons don't have their way with them.
"Poor mans taxidermy" lol good one!

Fish Head soup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZEKMbwWPTo
Old 06-14-2017, 08:30 AM

When we were there May 31 - June 2nd we did pretty decent catching Springs we got our 3 man limit I landed the biggest not sure what it weighed but it was a nice White meat Spring. We did land one Coho Dolly's said it was the first Coho they received this year. Cant wait to go back hoping for better weather for sure.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:16 AM
AO Sponsor

Ha, Fish Head Soup... how bout that???

So when yer done ya take the fish head out and huck it and eat the rest right? Just kidding!

When I cut a salmon head on a whole salmon, I don't waste hardly anything. I like to trim the head tight to the flesh on top and leave the pectoral fins and gill plates attached to the body, and accompanying flesh. All that is left on the head is the bony stuff and the gillrakers.

Next, trim the gill plates off with the pectoral fins and cook them, the fins over a fire or throw on the BBQ for the yummiest part of the fish. A little salted garlic butter makes anything spectacular but they are superb even without. I kid you not, the best part of the fish. Never throw them away again!!!

If you are getting your fish put up at a plant, ask them to put up your "collars" as they call them. Bigger the fish, better the collar. Chum included. The belly has a lot of the oil/omega 3, and the pectoral fin flesh is loaded. Yummy!

Sorry, nothing left for the rock soup! But the heads are then prepped and ready for their fence post!
Old 06-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:

So when yer done ya take the fish head out and huck it and eat the rest right? Just kidding!

When I cut a salmon head on a whole salmon, I don't waste hardly anything. I like to trim the head tight to the flesh on top and leave the pectoral fins and gill plates attached to the body, and accompanying flesh. All that is left on the head is the bony stuff and the gillrakers.

Next, trim the gill plates off with the pectoral fins and cook them, the fins over a fire or throw on the BBQ for the yummiest part of the fish. A little salted garlic butter makes anything spectacular but they are superb even without. I kid you not, the best part of the fish. Never throw them away again!!!

If you are getting your fish put up at a plant, ask them to put up your "collars" as they call them. Bigger the fish, better the collar. Chum included. The belly has a lot of the oil/omega 3, and the pectoral fin flesh is loaded. Yummy!

Sorry, nothing left for the rock soup! But the heads are then prepped and ready for their fence post!
Thanks for the tip about the fins, I will try that for sure.

Would love to see a picture of your fish head decorated fence!
Old 06-15-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
4 springs

Robb caught them all, I was skunked on them

All I brought home was 2 hali, 11 crab
Bummer.

As for the skate.... we have caught a couple over the years never kept one is the box is usually full of Salmon, Hali and Ling. But I have heard they taste like scallops as well however I would probably have to try some prior to and really like it before I would keep one.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:36 AM

I do use the heads.
Halibut heads too.
They are great crab bait.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:

We tried cooking "collars" a few times from salmon is probably best but we also tried ling and while there is nothing horrendous they are just very rich as they are quite fatty. a nice treat in the smoker for sure but not in excess.....When we cooked up the ling collars it was from a days limit so I think we had 12 collar between 4 guys.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:23 PM

Headed up to Rupert with my boat July 13th for 6 days can't wait. If anyone is heading there around that time pm me always good fishing with multiple boats 🖒
Old 06-15-2017, 10:59 PM
AO Sponsor

I only ever ate the salmon fins/collar meat. And I guess on a couple walleye too. Here's a question... on the red snappers, collar fins, any meat there? His ocean stuff is mostly new to me, I was fishing the river before like a poor man... now I'm ever poorer cuz now I'm fishing in th ocean!

So these snappers seem like this gigantic bucket head creatur with these massive pectoral fins and massive tail and teeny little fillet steaks above the spine... mmmm... yummy stuff, irrigate with garlic clove butter while frying. So I didn't save the collar fins on them... any meat on them? Do they have cheek meat like a little walleye?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
Headed up to Rupert with my boat July 13th for 6 days can't wait. If anyone is heading there around that time pm me always good fishing with multiple boats 🖒
I will be there July 3-17
Old 06-16-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Man! You are all over that place
Are you planning on fishing most of the days? I hope fishing is 100x better this round. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Sent you a PM can't wait to get out there.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Man! You are all over that place
Are you planning on fishing most of the days? I hope fishing is 100x better this round. Good luck.
That's the 2nd of maybe 3 possibly 4 trips this year. I am hoping to get 30 but may get 40 days in.

It will get better, I just hope the weather smartens up.

I noticed for the 11 minutes there was sunshine the fish turned on, then off again when it went dark
Old 06-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's the 2nd of maybe 3 possibly 4 trips this year. I am hoping to get 30 but may get 40 days in.

It will get better, I just hope the weather smartens up.

I noticed for the 11 minutes there was sunshine the fish turned on, then off again when it went dark
Certainly is weather dependent isn't it?

Hope you catch some monsters!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338 Rules View Post
Certainly is weather dependent isn't it?

Hope you catch some monsters!
Sure is! Thank you!!
Old 06-16-2017, 02:58 PM

Someone take me with them. All of a sudden Laker and Pike fishing sounds like it sucks!!!!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Someone take me with them. All of a sudden Laker and Pike fishing sounds like it sucks!!!!
get your azm to Rupert and hop on a boat! There are at least 5 boats from AO alone going at the same time. I have room the first week for a day or 2 if Nigel doesn't mind.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 06-16-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:21 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Nothing quite like Chinook salmon in the rivers, well except for this animal called a steelhead! Holy shmoly!!! And then some. Sockeye on standard pike gear? Wow! The northern hemisphere bonefish! Especially if you foul hook one by accident... barely controllable. Them beautiful Chums the locals all stick their noses up at, talk about a dawg fight. My one daughter hates Chum cuz they just give her too much of a thrashing and about as good as a white Chinook

Pike? Naw

The ocean is fun too, meat production at its finest.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
We prawned last year in tuck inlet but no luck. 2 strings of 4 traps and got maybe 30.
I am definitely going after dungeness this year. I am actually making a cannon Scotty conversion plate right now for a Scotty trap puller.
Pfft! You don't need a puller! All you need is me. If you hang onto my waist, so I don't pull myself overboard, I can pull up a little trap like nothing!

Plus I don't eat much, and don't take up much room in the truck...

I used to enjoy wading into the water as the tide went out down past Tlell on Haida Gwaii. You could catch crabs with a net or even a forked stick with a rope tied across it. It was fun, and we would go out and catch our limits pretty quick.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Pfft! You don't need a puller! All you need is me. If you hang onto my waist, so I don't pull myself overboard, I can pull up a little trap like nothing!

Plus I don't eat much, and don't take up much room in the truck...

I used to enjoy wading into the water as the tide went out down past Tlell on Haida Gwaii. You could catch crabs with a net or even a forked stick with a rope tied across it. It was fun, and we would go out and catch our limits pretty quick.
Deal!
I picked up a line puller, but it is not needed at all for crab. They are effortless up to 100 feet.
A string of Prawn traps on log covered bottom are a different story.
I lost 3 of my 4 cannon down riggers last time out, so I am selling my new in box line puller and Scotty 1116 propack down rigger.
I prefer crab to prawn anyway.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:21 AM

Ken Im with ya on the prawn issue. Tried to get them little buggers a bunch of times and only get a taste. To much work for what I usually get.

Has anyone seen the herring rods the guides use up at Dundas? The rod is open at the end and the herring rig winds right into the rod for easy storage. I would like to get one but don't know where to get one or even what they are called.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nothing quite like Chinook salmon in the rivers, well except for this animal called a steelhead! Holy shmoly!!! And then some. Sockeye on standard pike gear? Wow! The northern hemisphere bonefish! Especially if you foul hook one by accident... barely controllable. Them beautiful Chums the locals all stick their noses up at, talk about a dawg fight. My one daughter hates Chum cuz they just give her too much of a thrashing and about as good as a white Chinook

Pike? Naw

The ocean is fun too, meat production at its finest.
Chinook on the Skeena is a blast, all you need is a spin and glow a sturdy rod a decent reel and 50 lbs test. Love hearing my Penn 320 LD sing when i hook up with a big one

The only river fishing that is more fun is Atlantic salmon on a fly.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:10 AM

Default Sabiki rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhunter View Post
Ken Im with ya on the prawn issue. Tried to get them little buggers a bunch of times and only get a taste. To much work for what I usually get.

Has anyone seen the herring rods the guides use up at Dundas? The rod is open at the end and the herring rig winds right into the rod for easy storage. I would like to get one but don't know where to get one or even what they are called.
The herring rod is called a "sabiki rod" and the rig a Sabiki rig, I think. From what I can tell you might be able to get them at cabelas. The fishinhole may bring one in as well for you if you ask.

RJ
Old 06-17-2017, 08:06 AM

Thanks rj.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjockey View Post
The herring rod is called a "sabiki rod" and the rig a Sabiki rig, I think. From what I can tell you might be able to get them at cabelas. The fishinhole may bring one in as well for you if you ask.

RJ
I think they sell sabiki rigs at pacific net in prince rupert. I have a few and plan to try jigging for herring this year. From what i have read is it is very easy to tangle the rig up when not in use, so i plan to take a piece of plastic pipe to drop it into for storage.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:46 PM

I guess a guy could string together 3-4 pic rigs and un-clip them from each other when done - But, yeah, I could see tangle nightmares here.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Deal!
I picked up a line puller, but it is not needed at all for crab. They are effortless up to 100 feet.
I lost 3 of my 4 cannon down riggers last time out, so I am selling my new in box line puller and Scotty 1116 propack down rigger.
Ok! Don't be surprised if you end up with a stow-a-way!

In reality I'm not much of a fisherman, but I did do a little deep sea trip out there once after I moved away. Running 2 poles to a down rigger it got a little monotonous bringing in that many halibut! Had to remove myself from the action to have a beer.

I enjoyed working the bottom for rock cod and the freaky looking stuff. Caught a tiger striped rock cod once. That was pretty cool.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-20-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Deal!
As in they snapped off your boat?
Old 06-20-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
As in they snapped off your boat?
no, sorry- I gotta fix that

3/4 are dead. 1 sort of ground to a halt after getting slower and slower, 1 has a broken wire, 1 was in the storage hold down, and 1 continued working.

I bought a new one, sent one to be repaired and is coming back doa, got 1 working.

They are all likely 10 years old, which is 97 in human years apparently.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
no, sorry- I gotta fix that

3/4 are dead. 1 sort of ground to a halt after getting slower and slower, 1 has a broken wire, 1 was in the storage hold down, and 1 continued working.

I bought a new one, sent one to be repaired and is coming back doa, got 1 working.

They are all likely 10 years old, which is 97 in human years apparently.
Time to ditch those Cannons for some scottys