Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 09:24 AM

Default Northern zones

Honest question here and not trying to turn it into one of “those” threads... (although they can get pretty funny)

I’ve only ever used my bow while hunting elk in September. This year I’m heading north to one of the madhouse zones that open up for rifle on Sep 17. Now, I’m trying to weigh how much I care about prime elk time and how much I care about avoiding the zoo.
With the 17th being a Monday and 22 the first Saturday of that action, what do you think will be more crazy busy? I’m planning the timing of when to go and wondering if I may avoid a ton of traffic by simply going on the 22 or even the following week. How likely is it that the 17 will be more busy than the 22 and how likely will that die down by a week later?
Thanks for any insight.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:26 AM

I guess it all depends where you go just leave two hours earlier and get farther back than anyone in the bush

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I guess it all depends where you go just leave two hours earlier and get farther back than anyone in the bush

We’ll be walking. Hmm. So I guess I’ll have to check ohv use before noon for that zone and just find a spot where someone hasn’t gone further to set up camp

Last edited by kujoseto; 08-17-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:54 AM

Yes I used to shoot a 35 whelen in a Thompson Center single, recoil was not bad I imagine in a nice bolt-action it should be quite manageable, great cartridge moose, elk, bear, good luck.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Yes I used to shoot a 35 whelen in a Thompson Center single, recoil was not bad I imagine in a nice bolt-action it should be quite manageable, great cartridge moose, elk, bear, good luck.

I keep hearing only great things about it. I’ve cleared out my inbox now. Got a notification it was full
Old 08-17-2018, 05:53 PM

I think it all depends on which "zoo" you intend to visit. I would suggest that opening day/week is the most busiest time for the "zoo" unless your a local who is intimate with the particular "zoo". On the other hand I would let the "zoo" settle down and go out the following week which means less visitors to the "zoo" and the animals have regrouped and start to calm down a bit. This is based on numerous years and observations hunting my favourite "zoo." I avoid opening week like the plague due to a lot of itchy trigger fingers and plan my visit after the grand opening of the "zoo." I find I have a lot of area all to myself in doing this and see more animals (i.e. wolf, black bear, grizzly bear, deer, moose and elk) at this time.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:01 PM

Go up on the 14 or 15 with ur bow.
I’ve always had elk encounters in those zones the week before rifle opens.

TBark
Old 08-17-2018, 07:48 PM

Thanks guys.
The group I’m hunting with needs to go 16-20 for their work schedules. So I’ll pack the bow for the 16th and hope we can find some space off the beaten path. I appreciate knowing in the future that waiting a week would help and I’ll keep that in mind as I experience my first zoo opener haha.
Still open to more input even though our plans are now set.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:25 PM

I was thinking about the same thing today. Dad and I were going to do some looking around 522 as we have cow elk tags for the middle season. We have a few days set aside on Sept. 21-23 which is the first rifle weekend for bull elk, and deer.
We were going to bring the bows in case we came across any antlered moose but the real intention is to hike some crown land we haven’t seen yet in that WMU.
I’m somewhat reluctant to go that weekend because I think it is going to be crazy with it being the first weekend of rifle season and was thinking that early October might be a bit less pressured.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:52 PM

The first three days of rifle is always a zoo. Hasn't changed in a number of years.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
The first three days of rifle is always a zoo. Hasn't changed in a number of years.

Good to know.
We’ll see how it goes but it sounds like I’ll be planning future trips for last week of Sep or into Oct
Old 08-18-2018, 09:11 PM

I guess it depends on which zoo.
I hunt a Sept 17 opener in the northern 300s,pack camp in via quad only a few miles from truck access,and won't see another hunter all week.