Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-11-2018, 10:49 AM

Default LR 22lr

Not wanting to hijack another thread I figured I'd start a new one. In past years I got into LR shooting using a couple of my 22lr rifles. ( I consider anything from 150-300 yds long range for this caliber) I have large caliber LR rifles that I do shoot out past 1000yds with but lately have found the cost of running a few hundred rounds every couple of weeks to be stretching the budget( single income family w 6 kids) so I've decided to jump back into rim fire training. My goal is running my 22s to 300 yds on 6" plates and hopfully working up to 500 yds on 8 or 10" plates.the two rifles I plan on using have proven to be accurate and have hits on targets out to 400yds already( although not consistently). Has anyone else ever trained with a rim fire to these distances? I'm fully aware of all the difficulties that arise with LR rim fire but am intrigued with running these little suckers way out there and hope that the things learned while stretching the legs on this round will spill over into the larger caliber rifles. Have fun and keep it in the xring
Old 08-11-2018, 11:12 AM

Many Palma match shooters regularly shoot at 200 yards with 22's to keep in shape
The conditions and dope are much the same as a 308 at 1,000.
1MOA or better with the sling and irons is very doable .
Cat
Old 08-11-2018, 01:50 PM

I used to be able to do 2-3 moa with my open sight marlin at 200. My scoped savage is capable of 1moa at that range
Old 08-11-2018, 03:10 PM

You wouldn't of been high-jacking the other thread Ob-1, but good call on starting up a rimfire thread.

I just returned to this hobby after a 30 year leave of absence, and what a thrill it is.

Our plan at the farm is to add a mini PRS range with in the archery path we set up last year, only thing is that the targets are much smaller and a long ways out there.

We've had fairly good luck with the 8", 10" and 12" pie plates at the 200 meter mark,,, depending on what target the kids like to shoot. 25, 50, 75, and 100 meter targets are much more challanging.

We've been adding 3 different size targets for each distance.

The smallest is 1/4" at 25,,, 1" at 100 meters,,, very challanging fore sure. Ha
2", 4" at the 100 mark are the big ones.
The kids draw up a target on the iron, we cut it out and it becomes the go to thing. Ha.

We started off with the expensive 22 ammo at first, then switched over to the Target Standard Velocity Solids at $0.0364 per shot,,, its not the best of the quality 22 LR ammo out there,,, but it does the job for us.

Pure fun.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:26 PM
Banned

have a friend who shoots out to 300m from his front step. he's been telling me i should try it, but i haven't got around to it yet. he says it will make you humble!

i've been bragging up my cz452, so i'm going to be pi**y if i can't hit the gongs.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Banned

That cheaper federal blue box .22 shoots so good out of my savage and anschutz rifles. Just but plenty of bricks.

Building a duplicate rimfire to your centerfire is a great idea even though mine more set up to do 100 yrd gopher work, consider mil dot vs dial up as might wear out the dials with big volume of a rimfire? Learn the dots to ranges instead.

I could build rimfires on chassis and make identical to the 6.5 grendels on chassis I’m building for my kids. Sadly we just won’t have the time to do it as right as this though.

This is all a great idea and will make better shooters no doubt!👍
Old 08-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Banned

Was out today with my .22WMR. At 150m was getting 1.75-2" groups with wind gusts to 25km/h. Couple dozen shots at the 8" gong at 200m with no misses.
And so many people think that once past 50yds a rimfire is useless
Old 08-12-2018, 07:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The good thing about the 22lr is that you don't go broke trying to hit targets close or far....we use to sit and use a spotter to call our shots at the gopher 200 yards out.....one of the greatest calibres/cartridges ever developed hands down.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-13-2018, 07:30 AM

^^^ X's 2

Like the kids at the ranch say, what a blast.

Frugal to the max for rifle and ammo.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
The good thing about the 22lr is that you don't go broke trying to hit targets close or far....we use to sit and use a spotter to call our shots at the gopher 200 yards out.....one of the greatest calibres/cartridges ever developed hands down.
Well, I wouldn't call it "training" but I regularly push 22LR way out there. It's my favorite caliber, hands-down. In the third photo down in this thread I posted, we're doing exactly ^that. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=346865

As for rifles, most of my field shooting is with a CZ452 Varmint, 4-12X AO scope. Last year, I bought a rifle that I think is meant for this kind of "training" (in spirit anyway) and Anschutz 64 MPR "Tactical Trainer". See my post here; http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=345003 At the time, it came equipped with a 20MOA rail, incredible trigger and at it's heart..the Anschutz 64MPR. Great gun, very heavy though. I baby it too much, but have bought a selection top-shelf ammo to try through it when the dam* weather cools off a bit here in Ontario.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:57 PM

Managed to go 30/35 on my 4" plate at 100 yds today with my marlin 39 A. Factory 24" micro groove barrel factory semi buckhorn sights. Total group size was just over 2.5" ( only counting the hits....all misses were low. I cant load the pics for some reason but my verticle spread is 1.75" and horizontal spread 2.75" Shooting prone with front vanguard tripod rest and rear sqeeze bag. 8 oclock wind at 7-10 mph. Ammo was HV federal target rounds i had laying around.

Last edited by obsessed1; 08-13-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Well, I wouldn't call it "training" but I regularly push 22LR way out there. It's my favorite caliber, hands-down. In the third photo down in this thread I posted, we're doing exactly ^that. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=346865

As for rifles, most of my field shooting is with a CZ452 Varmint, 4-12X AO scope. Last year, I bought a rifle that I think is meant for this kind of "training" (in spirit anyway) and Anschutz 64 MPR "Tactical Trainer". See my post here; http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=345003 At the time, it came equipped with a 20MOA rail, incredible trigger and at it's heart..the Anschutz 64MPR. Great gun, very heavy though. I baby it too much, but have bought a selection top-shelf ammo to try through it when the dam* weather cools off a bit here in Ontario.
Please let us know your results when you do this, I am very interested.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-14-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Please let us know your results when you do this, I am very interested.
Will do pikergolf. I had posted some targets on CGN using CCI SV and SK Standard...just searched and couldn't find the post. The gun likes both, the SK having a consistency edge. I've since tried SK Rifle match (even better!) but have RWS 50, Lap. Center X, and a few others to test out. Something about buggy, 32C (feeling like 40C with humidity) conditions that makes load testing seem a little unappealing. lol

I might add, I've never felt a trigger anything like the one on this gun, and I've had the privilege of owning a couple of nice rifles (including a Cooper)...and shooting a few others. Very fun target gun...if I can bring myself to stop babying it, maybe it'll get called into gopher duty one day!

Old 08-14-2018, 12:08 PM

Default .22

Used to shoot with brother. If I hit the gong, he owed me a .22 shell, if I missed
I owed him a .22 shell, then it was his turn to shoot. We had a gong at 200 yds.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:53 PM

I have tried up to 200yd with premium ammo. I think up to 300yd is still doable, but not more than that.
At 500yd you would have to correct for +/-80moa or +/-410", assuming your scope is zeroed at 100yd. Even if you zero it at 300yd and go for 500yd, you still have to apply +/-48moa (+/-250") correction.
Theoretically you can go there using a moa rail scopemount and a high quality scope but is it worth?
Old 08-14-2018, 01:04 PM

I don't have a rail on my 22's. I use Signature Zee rings with inserts to get the desired cant. I can shoot from 50yds out to about 250 with my set up.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:05 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariu View Post
I have tried up to 200yd with premium ammo. I think up to 300yd is still doable, but not more than that.
At 500yd you would have to correct for +/-80moa or +/-410", assuming your scope is zeroed at 100yd. Even if you zero it at 300yd and go for 500yd, you still have to apply +/-48moa (+/-250") correction.
Theoretically you can go there using a moa rail scopemount and a high quality scope but is it worth?
My savage 22 has +83 MOA of vertical adjustment with the rail and z mounts and using all the hash marks on the reticle with my 50 yd zero. Using the tang sight on the marlin I have confirmed hits out to 400 yds and still have some vertical adjustment left over. For me it's something to play around with and it's cost effective for training.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:10 PM

IMO, if you want to shoot small groups with a 22 it's gonna cost you. Rifles like 54 action Anschutz's will sure help. Euro ammo will help as well. However, the costs add up and sometimes you have to watch your spending.

I have a 452 that is pretty accurate. It likes the Mini Mags, both hollow point and round nose.
I also have the poor man's Annie (1416D). It shoots 50yd groups that are about 0.1 inch better than the 452. It also likes mini mags.
Both like Euro ammo more. The more expensive, the better.

We like to have some friendly competition. A can of pop would be a big prize.
Part one is shooting for group. 50 and 100yds
Part two is shooting from common hunting positions; prone, kneeling, seated on ground and freehand. Also at 50 and 100 yds.
Pick your target size depending on how confident you feel. I might choose a four inch circle worth 2 points and a three inch circle worth 4 points. Buddy might choose a 3 inch target and a two inch target. Ten shots each at your targets and add up your score. Repeat with each shooting position.

To keep things fair and fun, we agree upon the rifles, the price of the ammo and scope magnification.

Shot these recently with the Annie. Palomar scope but I had it dialed back to 9. Used Mini Mag round nose as it fit into the agreed upon ammo budget.

50m with mini mags

100m with mini mags

Pretty typical groups at 50yds. Maybe a tad better than average, hence the smiley. All groups fit under a dime. My 452 shoots a bit worse with this ammo but not by much.
The 100yd groups were pretty typical, except that there were no crazy flyers, which was nice. ( Just some normal flyers. ) It's not unusual to get a flyer that will blow up a group. Average group size here is about 1.23 inch. Smallest group is 0.75 inch largest is 1.84 inch. My CZ will shoot a bit worse on average.

Euro ammo will do better, but I am frugal. For practising, I am happy with this level of accuracy.

edit. at 200yards or meters, I use Euro ammo.

Last edited by Big Sky; 08-14-2018 at 01:18 PM. Reason: pressed submit too soon
Old 08-14-2018, 01:12 PM

I have read stories (in the past) where guys were pushing 22LR out to 500 yards on large-ish gongs. I even saw a video of a guy making hits. Granted, you have time to have a sip of coffee between the shot...and the hit.

If memory serves, that particular fellow had an adjustable (MOA) rail. Might have been this one; http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ro-to-150-moa/

Seems a bit extreme maybe...but if you want to really reach out an have a little flexibility in the scope choice because of elevation limitations....
Old 08-14-2018, 02:22 PM

Here is a target I shot at 100 yds with cheap federal auto match ammo. Rifle is a heavy barrel savage mkll. Shot prone off bipod and rear sqeeze bag.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2018-08-14 14-13.pdf (450.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 08-14-2018, 03:00 PM

Yes, the costs in the Rimfire world depends on what each shooter chooses to accomplish.

That way it can fit into everyone's budget.

Our class is in the $100 to $300 category, farmer spotter gopher guns in the West, Raccoon poppers in the East. Ha.
I've got 3 coyotes this year with the 32gr Stingers @ 75 yards at the farm. All 3 bolted about 100 to 300 meters before running out of steam. About 40 lbs critters.

The Fall Beavers in the creek at the farm won't like the Stingers either, the old fellow is pretty big, so a follow up on him might be good. 25' feet should Rattle them.

We were plinking the 16" gong at 300 meters, but the 200 m max is our normal since the frugal ammo works ok in this range.

The Winchester T-22 ammo is pretty accurate for the price point over all,,, target shooting for them since the Gophers don't pop on impact. This is where the 32gr HP Stingers come in handy, or the Winchester 36gr HP.

Yuppers, fun to the max fore sure, old spent casings become the next 25 yard targets. Ha.

10 for 10 off the bypods / solid bag,,, 7/10 sitting,,, and lots of misses standing free hand,,, it will all come back in due time I'm sure.

One of my friends said that it's kinda nice to shoot one brand of ammo all the time since its alot of work dialing in for a different brand.

He changed his mind once I showed him the 1 shot sight in system. Ha.
Add the dial up clicks to your shooting logs, and your good to go.

I have 7 ballistic apps with sight in points for each brand of Ammo now.
Reach in the Ruck sack, pull out what ever, a few clicks and it's V ring time.

The Rimfire is just that simple.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:

I call it training, controlled breathing, trigger squeeze, target acquired, 200 yard target, keeping it all together fully knowing that a 100 buck bet is on the line of making the shot....good training to keep it together and have bragging rights for another week at work

Old 08-16-2018, 06:14 AM

Default That's a nice rig for sure

Quote:
Will do pikergolf. I had posted some targets on CGN using CCI SV and SK Standard...just searched and couldn't find the post. The gun likes both, the SK having a consistency edge. I've since tried SK Rifle match (even better!) but have RWS 50, Lap. Center X, and a few others to test out. Something about buggy, 32C (feeling like 40C with humidity) conditions that makes load testing seem a little unappealing. lol

I might add, I've never felt a trigger anything like the one on this gun, and I've had the privilege of owning a couple of nice rifles (including a Cooper)...and shooting a few others. Very fun target gun...if I can bring myself to stop babying it, maybe it'll get called into gopher duty one day!

Jeepers eh....I hate to say I would loose the 100 bucks going up against that rig

Old 08-16-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Jeepers eh....I hate to say I would loose the 100 bucks going up against that rig
No guarantees. You'd probably have a good chance if I was the one behind the trigger. I'm 100% enthusiastic, maybe 60% capable.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:42 AM

^^^

Don't feel bad since I'm in the same boat.

I'm not sure why my friend always says this during our hunting season.

Shoot straight, and I hope you miss. LOL

Purhaps its a good luck thing. Ha
Old 08-16-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
^^^

Don't feel bad since I'm in the same boat.

I'm not sure why my friend always says this during our hunting season.

Shoot straight, and I hope you miss. LOL

Purhaps its a good luck thing. Ha
It's all about having fun. At least that's what I tell myself. lol

Yeah, shooting that Anschutz, you CAN tell something special is happening. I will post target photos when things cool down, but I will honestly say that the gun does seem to bring out the best in my own abilities. I think that hasn't allot to do with me, the gun is pretty easy to shoot well. Good quality, great fit, unbelievable trigger, heavy/stable~everyone who has tried it shoots it well.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:01 PM

I hear yha GRH, I had the Cadet model Anschutz rifle many years ago.

Sold it off, bought lots of 22's over the years and enjoyed each outing with all of them, the semi auto 10/22 build is slowly underway.

It will be for general plinking, small predator control, and a ride along passenger to where ever. Pattern of a mini PRS build,,, cheap on ammo is one of the benefits

I was going to the range today, but the BC forest fire smoke is just to much. Ha. My friends in BC and Ontario are baking in the heat fore sure.
So I'm out at the low land Creek today hiding in the shad of the buck brush. Soooooo cool down there.
Pop off a few rounds with the Two-Two, and enjoy part of the dream.

Lots of time to watch the ducks and Geese that are blended in with the Kows. Pretty lucky having the quite time as we gear up for the Northern hunt.
I can see a few of the plinker are coming along for the ride.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:35 AM

Hey Don...yeah, she's hot here..but that can't last much longer this time of the year. Thank heavens. lol Today is especially bad for some reason, but the weekend is supposed to be better.

Quote:
I hear yha GRH, I had the Cadet model Anschutz rifle many years ago.

Sold it off, bought lots of 22's over the years and enjoyed each outing with all of them, the semi auto 10/22 build is slowly underway.

It will be for general plinking, small predator control, and a ride along passenger to where ever. Pattern of a mini PRS build,,, cheap on ammo is one of the benefits

I was going to the range today, but the BC forest fire smoke is just to much. Ha. My friends in BC and Ontario are baking in the heat fore sure.
So I'm out at the low land Creek today hiding in the shad of the buck brush. Soooooo cool down there.
Pop off a few rounds with the Two-Two, and enjoy part of the dream.

Lots of time to watch the ducks and Geese that are blended in with the Kows. Pretty lucky having the quite time as we gear up for the Northern hunt.
I can see a few of the plinker are coming along for the ride.
^my first 22 was an Anschutz 1450 and it's maybe the only rifle on my "never sell" list. I paid $289 for it almost 30 years ago, and it's the only gun I used for almost a decade. When I use it today, I'm amazed I got the results I did with it..considering how heavy the trigger is, and there is no replacement available. I checked online, and with Anschutz. Anyhow, the 1450D was the "Kadett" model and if I remember right, was only made for a year or two? My 1450 is nearly identical. Very light/handy. I just put a new scope on mine.

Enjoy the cool weather, and time outside with the rimfires. 2 of my favorite things in the world!
Old 08-18-2018, 04:57 PM

Good to hear it's hopefully cooling off out there GRH, the BC forestest fire smoke is on & off in our area. My friend in Southern BC has been watching ashes falling out of the sky from the Penticton Fire.
Okanagan Valley is just full of smoke. I feel bad for him, his Mom along with all the folks out there.

Just did the scope swap today.
The last unit had the mill dot BDC by Bushnell, it's time to run the Nikon system with a bit more zoom.

The 2 1/2" gong at 200 meters with the budget ammo is about 3 hits out of 7 misses,,, not bad for a factory 10/22 and non target grade ammo. Winchester 36gr golden bucket bullets. Ha

$120 for 1400 = $0.085 per shot. My spotter said if the 3 1/2" or 4" gong would of been down there,,, it would of been 10/10. Next time out will be the T-22 Target ammo.

I still have 2 pales of Wild Cat crap to burn off. The 100 meter 4" free hand challange, along with the PRS stair case rest.

https://youtu.be/qsTafkb8mZ8

It's actually alot fun making the targets and shooting gear that go with this. I call it the frugal tech stuff. LOL
Old 08-19-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Good to hear it's hopefully cooling off out there GRH, the BC forestest fire smoke is on & off in our area. My friend in Southern BC has been watching ashes falling out of the sky from the Penticton Fire.
Okanagan Valley is just full of smoke. I feel bad for him, his Mom along with all the folks out there.

Just did the scope swap today.
The last unit had the mill dot BDC by Bushnell, it's time to run the Nikon system with a bit more zoom.

The 2 1/2" gong at 200 meters with the budget ammo is about 3 hits out of 7 misses,,, not bad for a factory 10/22 and non target grade ammo. Winchester 36gr golden bucket bullets. Ha

$120 for 1400 = $0.085 per shot. My spotter said if the 3 1/2" or 4" gong would of been down there,,, it would of been 10/10. Next time out will be the T-22 Target ammo.

I still have 2 pales of Wild Cat crap to burn off. The 100 meter 4" free hand challange, along with the PRS stair case rest.

https://youtu.be/qsTafkb8mZ8

It's actually alot fun making the targets and shooting gear that go with this. I call it the frugal tech stuff. LOL
Nice! I've always believed that 22s can satisfy most of my shooting interests...and if things get too easy, make the targets smaller...push them out further~or both! At least you guys have gophers. Since I was mentioning the 1450, I had that rifle out yesterday and snapped some photos. Same gun as the one you had?