Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 07:20 AM

Default Premium Hunting Clothing Brands

Besides Sitka and KUIU, what other brand of hunting clothing is worth looking at?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:03 AM

First Lite
Old 08-13-2018, 08:07 AM

Krptek is good stuff as well.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:10 AM

Asat
Old 08-13-2018, 08:37 AM

Filson
Old 08-13-2018, 10:39 AM

2nd Vote for First Lite.

https://www.firstlite.com
Old 08-13-2018, 10:49 AM

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:52 AM

I like the Under Armour hunting stuff. And Danner.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:20 PM

Onca
Old 08-14-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Onca
Jimbow's Archery in Calgary sells this stuff. Never used it. But I've heard good things.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:10 PM

The ones you can afford!Seems everyone gets caught up in the name brand and not the quality.All depends on what type of hunting you are doing and how many days spent in the field.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_BHA View Post
Jimbow's Archery in Calgary sells this stuff. Never used it. But I've heard good things.
Edmonton has their full wall of it too. It looks nice, if I wasn’t all full on Camo I would be buying it.

LC
Old 08-15-2018, 10:06 PM

Harkila and fjallraven look pretty nice too. 400 euros for a pair of pants though. Little too much for me.

I have kuiu and that was pretty tough to swallow.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Filson
Yep couldn’t agree more!!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:15 PM

I get along fine with my Peavey mart plaid jackets and salvation army wool sweaters. I'm serious, check them out, there is some killer deals on merino wool sweaters there. Even the heavy duty Columbia pants i bought for 12 bucks

I also bought from Gostwear. They carry the Big Bill 18oz merino wool stuff. Great for the late fall early morning partridge hunts.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 08-16-2018, 08:02 AM

Badlands make great looking stuff.... LIFEtime guarantee.... You rip the butt out them going through a fence... send them in and they will replace it... No questions asked according to their warranty card.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:51 AM

I just wish someone would make it in something other than camo
Old 08-16-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Most of the big brands all sell solid colours.

My First Lite puffy jacket is dry earth. No camo!

I have a mix of solid colours/fusion camo.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:57 PM

2nd vote for Badlands.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Me too.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:59 PM

I like Carhartt, I look spanking in my bib overalls, cannot keep the women off.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-18-2018, 09:14 AM

SKRE has great gear and Mike Wand is a great guy (owner and answers the phone), I really like the First lite gear I have and my hunting partner has some Nima gear he likes a lot.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2018, 11:51 AM

I have used Predator for years got good winter stuff had four almost 18 years early-season got some cheap mossy oak stuff works just fine

Old 08-18-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Badlands make great looking stuff.... LIFEtime guarantee.... You rip the butt out them going through a fence... send them in and they will replace it... No questions asked according to their warranty card.
Wow a little pricey for a camo clothing ,it's not how good you look it's how good you hunt I find

Old 08-18-2018, 10:06 PM

Another vote for FirstLite.....I like the quality as much or more then the pattern....my early elk/moose season pants,with a liteweight UA Ridge Runner jacket.I can wear this outfit until late Oct-Nov with just a base layer of UA 2.0 and maybe a hoodie as it gets colder.
Predator patterns are great,licensed out to several garment makers though,ya get what you pay for.
Once it gets cold out(Nov) I wear wool almost exclusively.....camo patterns are overrated for hunting success,warmth and comfort wins.
That said,my latest addition of wool pants is Columbia snow camo,pretty much my go to in November and winter coyote hunts last few years.....but I have plain old black woollies and forest green woollies for decades,they get covered in fluffy snow and turn white becoming natural snow camo anyhow often as not.😉

Last edited by West O'5; 08-18-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:10 PM

I really enjoy my Kuiu gear I’ve been running it for 5 years now through some miserable snow storms in the mountains to side ways rain. It’s always stood up for me no complaints.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:44 PM
Banned

I have probably more camo suits than regular clothing and this is where I'm at now; merino wool base layers, wool pants, wool jacket and ghillie cover ups. I have summer and winter camo cover ups. Archery I use light merino wool underwear with cover ups and add more wool as the season goes on. If it's raining I wear my Sitka downpour suit with the cover ups over top.

Wool is my preference but any weather appropriate clothing would work with a thin ghillie suit over top. $100 suit and I like it better than my $1000 suits.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:11 PM

Default Kuiu and First Lite

I have several Kuiu pieces as well as a few First Lite pieces and I’m very happy with them. I have a set of First Lite merino 2 piece long underwear as well as a puffy jacket, and several kuiu pieces including the attack pants, Yukon jacket and pants, guide jacket, down jacket, 145 merino zip tee, socks, Chugach rain gear, guide beanie, merino beanie, gloves and probably some other stuff too. I think kuiu gear is excellent quality for the price and the First Lite gear is top notch as well, although I find the First Lite merino wool to stretch over time as it gets wet with sweat or after being worn for a few days.

Personally I like merino wool for base layers, the First Lite puffy and maybe a fleece insulation layer, and the guide or Yukon jacket as an outer layer. I’m still on thsure search for a really good set of winter gloves (possiblybthe first Lite grizzly or the kuiu northstar), but other than that I’m pretty much ready to tackle anything.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
I have several Kuiu pieces as well as a few First Lite pieces and I’m very happy with them. I have a set of First Lite merino 2 piece long underwear as well as a puffy jacket, and several kuiu pieces including the attack pants, Yukon jacket and pants, guide jacket, down jacket, 145 merino zip tee, socks, Chugach rain gear, guide beanie, merino beanie, gloves and probably some other stuff too. I think kuiu gear is excellent quality for the price and the First Lite gear is top notch as well, although I find the First Lite merino wool to stretch over time as it gets wet with sweat or after being worn for a few days.

Personally I like merino wool for base layers, the First Lite puffy and maybe a fleece insulation layer, and the guide or Yukon jacket as an outer layer. I’m still on thsure search for a really good set of winter gloves (possiblybthe first Lite grizzly or the kuiu northstar), but other than that I’m pretty much ready to tackle anything.
Best gloves you could ever buy are mittens,lol....not kidding.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
I really enjoy my Kuiu gear I’ve been running it for 5 years now through some miserable snow storms in the mountains to side ways rain. It’s always stood up for me no complaints.
I put on a Kuiu jacket and pants at the Edmonton Spotsman show this past spring and said to Dallas, “Wow, this stuff is great. What are they worth?” I was actually thinking I might buy them. He told me and I think I squished out a Hershey Kiss right then and there. I couldn’t get them off fast enough...

Beautiful gear but it sure comes with a hefty price. Besides, I think my 16 year old Browning pants have one more year in them....lol.