Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 11:26 AM

Default Smoke as cover for scent

Planning on some stand archery early season. I haven't smelled anything but smoke for 2 weeks. How does this thick about affect my quarry ability to smell me.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 AM

smoke yourself before going hunting, they should be used to the smell by now
Old 08-17-2018, 11:56 AM

Doesn't hinder their ability at all.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:08 PM

I have seen deer in feeding among smoking bush piles. I am convinced it makes a good cover scent in the right place. I am also convinced actual smoke reduces a deer's ability to smell. I have snuck up on deer far closer with smoke in the air than not, even with the wind at my back or quartering towards. I also know for sure it compromises a dogs ability to follow a scent trail so I see no reason why deer would be any different.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:34 PM

There has to be a silver lining for all this smoke right!
Old 08-17-2018, 12:37 PM

Back in the day I smoked while hunting...could still have deer come right up to me
Old 08-17-2018, 04:17 PM

There’s lots of evidence that says smoking your clothes will help get a bit closer.
I don’t like the smell much though so I haven’t done too much of it. One way to do it is buy a bee smoker, for some reason I had one in the garage and I’ve used it a couple times. I can’t report an opinion though as I haven’t given it much of a chance.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:44 PM

To be more clear, I was wondering how the thick smoke blanketing the province affects ungulates sense of smell. I know I am impacted. Anyone else have experience hunting in smokey conditions. The answer I am looking for is something like "this crappy smoke is guaranteed to triple your chance of success". Any variation on that theme is acceptable.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:52 PM

100% hinders their ability. No doubt in my mind. First hand personal experiences several times where only logical reason was current air quality
Old 08-18-2018, 07:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Planning on some stand archery early season. I haven't smelled anything but smoke for 2 weeks. How does this thick about affect my quarry ability to smell me.
You still have your own stink.....think about it when you walk into a house you smell the fresh bread and the bacon too.....one does not cover nor mask the other....you stink and if they get down wind from you they may or may not bust you and bolt.
Don't loose any sleep over this hunt hard and hunt smart....but if you want to blow some cash on a spray bottle full of wonder juice have at it

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-18-2018, 09:53 AM

I strongly believe smoke is a good cover sent. In old days when we cooked around outside fire and drank a few, our cloths got very smoked up and helped to stalk close to moose and elk. Also if smoke desensitizes animals like dogs should also impact ungulates sense of smell.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:05 AM

Yup smoke works great. I don’t normally smoke but while sitting in a tree stand I always take a carton of Players plain with me.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
To be more clear, I was wondering how the thick smoke blanketing the province affects ungulates sense of smell. I know I am impacted. Anyone else have experience hunting in smokey conditions. The answer I am looking for is something like "this crappy smoke is guaranteed to triple your chance of success". Any variation on that theme is acceptable.
This crappy smoke is guaranteed to triple your chance of success.
Happy now?
Old 08-18-2018, 09:20 PM

Smoke is a natural cover scent and not alarming to animals,they are quite used to smelling it as you can well imagine this summer.
What is smoke?
Carbon emissions.
What are all the pricey gadget/scent free/hunting garments impregnated with?
Yep...carbon.
What did/do indigenous hunters worldwide do for milleniae before embarking on major hunting expiditions?
Big party around a campfire....and they hunted to live.
There's even a commercially available smoker targeted at hunters.similar to a bee smoker.
Half the deer I've shot I'm sure I either had a smoke in my mouth or was forced to put it down cuz smoke was in my eyes,lol.....I think maybe they were coming to bum one?? 😜
Tell ya what....you go waste $700 on a fancy ScentBlocker suit,hunters soap and shampoo,scent free laundry detergent,another $600 on ozonics....I'm gonna stand around a campfire drinking beer,sleep in a wall tent with a leaky stove,smoke cigs on stand,and kill some deer....as always.

Last edited by West O'5; 08-18-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:32 PM

....and if ya REALLY want to attract deer....light up a lefty on stand,I know damn well they are attracted to that,lil bassturds use to eat half my crop back east some years. 😖
And NO I ABSOLUTELY DID NOT VOTE FOR TURDO.....never needed his permission for the last 38 years,ain't about to vote for it now or ever for that waste of skin.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:44 PM

Weed also works most excellent at attracting ducks to your decoy spread,as any smoker will attest.
Ie;it's a slow morning....10am....haven't fired a shot in almost 2 hours nor even seen a bird anywhere near in range for an hour and a half,your buddy says "twist one up".....GAURANTEED almost immediately after you take your gloves off and dig the bag out of your pocket and start busting up a bud,,....a dozen mallards will drop from the sky outta nowhere and light into your spread with cupped wings at 20 yards!!
Yupppp....seen it 1000x 😣😖
Old 08-19-2018, 08:08 AM

Wood smoke as cover scent yes, dope smoke no way, not a natural scent in the bush, next thing dope heads will be saying it cures cancer.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:29 AM

We are holding hunting dog tests this weekend, and the dogs are finding birds in the smoke, so I am thinking that the deer/moose/elk will be able to smell humans.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We are holding hunting dog tests this weekend, and the dogs are finding birds in the smoke, so I am thinking that the deer/moose/elk will be able to smell humans.
Exactly, your house is clean, your use to it then someone cooks bacon....what hits your nose the fabreeze smell of your home or the strong door of bacon?

There world Is no different......mmmmmm bacon

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-19-2018, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Weed also works most excellent at attracting ducks to your decoy spread,as any smoker will attest.
Ie;it's a slow morning....10am....haven't fired a shot in almost 2 hours nor even seen a bird anywhere near in range for an hour and a half,your buddy says "twist one up".....GAURANTEED almost immediately after you take your gloves off and dig the bag out of your pocket and start busting up a bud,,....a dozen mallards will drop from the sky outta nowhere and light into your spread with cupped wings at 20 yards!!
never really felt the need to take a baggie with me on a duck hunt, or any other time for that matter.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
never really felt the need to take a baggie with me on a duck hunt, or any other time for that matter.
Agreed, if you must ....Keep it for when you don’t have a gun in your hands
Old 08-19-2018, 12:12 PM

So if I fart in my ground blind my partner's not going to smell it because of the smoke? Animals detect changes in scent, if all day everyday they are smelling smoke then you walk in, they will no doubt notice the change. All it takes is a couple of human particles to hit their nose.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:24 PM

I dont think anyone is saying it elimanates all scent. There is no doubt in my mind it hinders an animals ability however. Experienced this again last night when scouting. I have had several less then 10 yard encounters with game that i dont believe would have been possible without a strong smoke scent in the air.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:17 AM

Here's a trick I use. Get one of those incense stick scents of your choice and burn it around your clothing. Stand around a campfire for a bit and viola!. I scent my items with a scent stick before putting away for the season in a plastic bin. When I pulled clothing out for use I smell like an elk.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Old 08-21-2018, 02:49 PM

I was taught by Mike Warkun (now long dead) to call moose. He learned from the Indians at High Prairie to start a small cover fire and throw lots of leaves and grass in when you start calling. Let it burn out and watch where the smoke goes. It will surprise you of subtle air currents on the calmest mornings.

The smoke continues to pour out for a long time after the fire burns down to ash.

This smoke smell is normal for moose in the north who smell forest fires all summer long. The smoke drops down pretty quick as it cools, and stays on the ground for hours.

It does a great job of covering your scent for calling moose. Ask the 46 " bull I took last year, and about 15 others behind him.

Drewski
Old 08-21-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Yupppp....seen it 1000x ����
When AOF is done tarring and feathering you, fire me a pm I want to hunt with you.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Doesn't hinder their ability at all.
Agreed.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
When AOF is done tarring and feathering you, fire me a pm I want to hunt with you.
Haha...well I'm kinda/sorta looking for an elk hunt partner Sept.22-30ish Hinton area......or I'll just go solo again....wutever?
Old 08-25-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Haha...well I'm kinda/sorta looking for an elk hunt partner Sept.22-30ish Hinton area......or I'll just go solo again....wutever?
If I don't bag mine in our early camp 17-21, I have the 25-27th off and would be up for coming out with you or both of you guys.