Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
This is a whole different topic
Except that the reasons given for caliber choice is based on this....at least that's what is being argued about in this thread. We have guides in Africa choice calibers, G bear guide calibers, elk at 400yds ect...issues that the vast majority of hunters never have.. so choosing a caliber need based off these for the average guy is kinda silly

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2022, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
What to me always get missed in lighter, lower recoil discussions is 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 300 Savage, 6.5x55, 32 Special, 30-30, 25-40 and a host of really effective rounds that have very low recoil while still producing great results on game. 95% of game is shot under 200 yards, by new hunters or experienced ones. A larger diameter bullet moving a little slower is no real handicap out to 250 yards. It isn't like the trajectory changes all that much and being under 8 lbs of recoil has very large benefits.
Couldn't agree more Dean , but finding a 250 savage, or a 257 Bob can be rather challenging
Old 01-13-2022, 12:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Except that the reasons given for caliber choice is based on this....at least that's what is being argued about in this thread. We have guides in Africa choice calibers, G bear guide calibers, elk at 400yds ect...issues that the vast majority of hunters never have.. so choosing a caliber need based off these for the average guy is kinda silly

I thought the original question was why do people think that they need a larger caliber rifle. When we start new hunters off with a lighter recoiling, smaller diameter which is deemed adequate?

Pretty simple
Like it or not you get higher performance
If you want it or need it, that’s up to you
Old 03-26-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
As a side note....what percentage of hunters ever go on a guided dangerous game hunt? I'd bet it's a small percentage. Again what percent of hunters hunt in a place where actual chance of encountering a dangerous game animal while hunting? There's an argument for large calibers...moose, elk, g bears ect but again such a small percentage of hunters actually hunt these game species compared to the millions of deer hunters

I think you nailed it. The largest percentage of BG hunters in N A are shooting Deer. Thats why any conversation of this type is usually biased to the smaller sized Big Game, and thus to the smaller calibers. There is certainly no doubt that they are right.

Change the geography and species a bit and I think you would see a big change in the conversation... but always with the usual few exceptions .