Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2022, 08:11 AM

I would definitely look at the browning micro midas both my nephews started with one. All deer dead inside 30 yards after a 100 gr interlock hit them. My daughter is very small in frame and she has started shooting her micro midas in .243 with the pink Buckmark camo....
No issues with recoil.
Another vote for the .257 Roberts as Cat said. He went above and beyond helping me cut down a m77 ruger tang saftey in 257 for my son. Low recoil and the 110 gr eldx nuked both does he shot.
Big thing is fit and low recoil. Then get them trigger time shoot lots and not just from the bench more practice they get the better the results in the field.
Good luck
Old 01-09-2022, 08:22 AM

I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard youth model in 7mm-08 for my kids. I bought some low recoil ammunition and will be trying it out this summer to prepare for fall. My daughter has shot the 22 for a few years and I’m going to get her going on the 222 and 22-250 soon to get used to longer range and a bigger bang. If I hadn’t bought the 7mm-08 I probably would have went with a 243, I got a good deal on the 7mm-08 so thought I’d try it
Old 01-09-2022, 08:48 AM

Take the kid to the store and have them shoulder each brand/model so they can say what fits best

If you have access to some of the lighter calibers mentioned through friends ask if your kid to try them

We can all suggest rifles/calibers that are good options to look at but the best rifle for the kid will only be found by putting different options in their hands to try

That is my two cents
Old 01-09-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
Weatherby vanguard 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard youth model in 7mm-08 for my kids. I bought some low recoil ammunition and will be trying it out this summer to prepare for fall. My daughter has shot the 22 for a few years and I’m going to get her going on the 222 and 22-250 soon to get used to longer range and a bigger bang. If I hadn’t bought the 7mm-08 I probably would have went with a 243, I got a good deal on the 7mm-08 so thought I’d try it
Picked up a Weatherby Vanguard in .308 in October. Superb shooter out of the box. Sub MOA as they say in their guarantee! Took 4 deer with 4 shots this year. All between 200 and 300 yards.

I did put a detachable magazine kit in mine because I hate those trapdoors. Other than that, she's as she came to me from the store (Prophet River Firearms in Lloydminster).

If you can find a youth model, in most any caliber ( especially something like .243, .308, 7mm-08) would be an awesome first rifle for any kid. Wish I'd started with one. The first rifle I hunted with was a Winchester bolt action .270 with open sights.

I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-09-2022, 09:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Always liked those little Remington Model 7’s chambered in 7-08....wish they came in a lefty version

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-09-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
I would suggest staying away from the ruger american. Did that, in an all weather and nothing but problems with the magazine, and feeding properly. My daughter ended up missing out on a few bucks because of that. Needless to say it is gone, and replaced.
I can report the exact same problems. Shoots the lights out though, i wish someone made an aftermarket clip for these. Its my 2nd and 3rd shells that wont feed up from the mag reliably.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Take the kid to the store and have them shoulder each brand/model so they can say what fits best

If you have access to some of the lighter calibers mentioned through friends ask if your kid to try them

We can all suggest rifles/calibers that are good options to look at but the best rifle for the kid will only be found by putting different options in their hands to try

That is my two cents
If you have the option the above advice is a great option. Its much easier to shoot well with a rifle that fits you.

Do you reload? Can give you more flexibility with the cal you choose. If you don't and live in a smaller town or city I would also look at the ammo availability they have, nothing like buying a sweet new rifle and not finding much ammo for it.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:40 AM

I think the CZ527 in 7.62x39 is the perfect gun for a kid. You can buy the Barnauls ammo for roughly 50 cents per round. Which will give them a lot of time to practice. The 7.62 has very little recoil in a bolt gun. Less then the 243 for sure. Lastly they most likely wont be shooting at distances over 200 yards. So no need for a bigger caliber. Howa also makes one, although I think it'll be a little heavy for a kid to carry. If they're just going to go sit in a stand where theres not a lot of walking. I think it would work well. I have seen both the Howa and CZ for sale on the Prophet River website. I think Firearms Outlet has the Howa as well.

Once they grow a bit plan on getting them a 308. I recommend Tikka in SS for that one. Then they won't ever need another gun. When they finally find an excuse to buy another gun the 25-06 is an absolute deer slaying cartridge.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill

Last edited by raab; 01-09-2022 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
.257 Roberts in a youth model rifle. Milder than the .308 family of cartridges and more knock down energy the the 6mm family.
Good luck finding one. Those things are like unicorns

Great cartridge though.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-09-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
I am just restating much of what others with more experience have said before:

Another important concept is to get them used to shooting a centre fire with noise and a little recoil. Ear protection of course at all times. We all learn to shoot with 22lr, and that's important, but a good chunk of practice with the economical to shoot 223 or 7.62x39 really helps them when they are lining up to pull the trigger on a big game animal.
I am recoil sensitive to a moderate degree, so I would be cautious for a young shooter of small stature. I wish recoil didn't bother me, but it does when too much. I hunt with a 30/06 and a 20" barrel 9.3x62 for the bush and find both comfortable to practice with. Neither is on the light side. The 9.3 has a well designed stock and a good recoil pad
In bolt-actions, a 243 is a no brainer in terms of recoil. 7mm-08 might be upper end (or 7x57 if one found a classic rifle)?

Lots of felt recoil depends on stock design. I remember feeling unpleasantly beat up by less than 20 rounds from a Winchester m70 featherweight in 308. Sold it. Also a Mosin Nagant was the same, but another that I have in a Boyds stock is pleasant to shoot.

They won't feel recoil when shooting at game, but at the range its a different story. Flinching is real for some.....likely more than will admit to it.

Vance
Flinching and trigger control, especially when you have buck fever. Lots of practice with the 7.62 will hopefully help with both for someone just learning.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:32 PM

Default 7.62x39

I have 2 of the cz527s in 7.62x39 and agree re size, recoil and point-ability for a smaller shooter. Plus its very pretty. Spendy, though.
Zastava also makes a mini Mauser in this chambering.
I am curious re performance of this cartridge on game. Does anyone have experience with it for deer?
I would be a little concerned past 100-150 yds re energy.
S&B also make SP ammo in 7.62x39 and that would be my go to if I was to use it on deer
Old 01-09-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakoman View Post
I am looking for suggestions for a rifle for my 12 year old. He is on the smaller side so size, weight and recoil will be a factor. As for Gun and calibre I am open to opinions as I have researched a few but cant seem to figure out of there is a clear winner.

I would first ask, what style of hunting are you doing?

Bean field shooting or heavy bush?

Second, what type of game? Whitetails? Gophers? Cape Buffalo (as if)?

Impossible to recommend a rifle, caliber without knowing the above...

I can't believe everybody answered without that info?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 01-09-2022, 03:22 PM

Aprx a yr ago I bought the wife a Win XPR 243 in Muddy girl camo.
Got it at Can Tire Ft Rd for $525, no scope for that price.
These are priced with basic scope at $900 now at Cabelas.
Pricing has gone up for sure.

TBark
Old 01-09-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I have 2 of the cz527s in 7.62x39 and agree re size, recoil and point-ability for a smaller shooter. Plus its very pretty. Spendy, though.

Zastava also makes a mini Mauser in this chambering.

I am curious re performance of this cartridge on game. Does anyone have experience with it for deer?

I would be a little concerned past 100-150 yds re energy.

S&B also make SP ammo in 7.62x39 and that would be my go to if I was to use it on deer
I took both of these with my HOWA 1500 7.62X39 with the Federal Fusion Bullets. Was having issues with my 308. So pulled this one out as I knew the shots would be under 200 yards at the spot I was hunting and I'm confident in the gun. I had a bullet recovered as well, and the fusions performed well. I wouldn't recommend it past 200 yards but inside with good placement it'll do the job.

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2022, 06:34 PM

Deer didnt go through for some reason.

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2022, 11:18 AM

Both of my kids started hunting big game at 12 years old using bolt action .270’s with reduced recoil loads. Neither had an issue with the recoil and they shot them well both taking deer.
I got my son a rifle with the adjustable length of pull(spacers) as he is smaller framed than my daughter was, it definitely helped him shoot better.
I went with .270’s as I knew it was a round that would allow them to step up to full power loads later on for bear/elk/moose without having to upgrade rifles for awhile…..
Old 01-10-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Might consider a lever action in 30/30?
Won’t bust the bank if you shop around and find a used one even with a scope….just to get him a start then if he gets hooked and grows a bit upgrade say to a nice bolt action and then he has two rifles which is always a good thing.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this one. Levers are a good start and the 30-30 is a nice round to start with.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:56 PM

Son has a micro midas in 243 (used to be the wife’s), wife has a “girlhunt2” Weatherby in 243.
Both nice guns, Weatherby is lighter, both kill deer.
Both easy to shoot (not a lot of recoil)
Old 01-10-2022, 06:11 PM

Default thanks raab

Appreciated. Didn't know you could get federal fusion ammo in that round. Nice!
Old 01-10-2022, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Both of my kids started hunting big game at 12 years old using bolt action .270’s with reduced recoil loads. Neither had an issue with the recoil and they shot them well both taking deer.
I got my son a rifle with the adjustable length of pull(spacers) as he is smaller framed than my daughter was, it definitely helped him shoot better.
I went with .270’s as I knew it was a round that would allow them to step up to full power loads later on for bear/elk/moose without having to upgrade rifles for awhile…..
That’s what my dad did aswell with me in a browning Abolt in 270win...upgraded me To a flat shooting 257 WBY when I was around 17 years old.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I think the CZ527 in 7.62x39 is the perfect gun for a kid. You can buy the Barnauls ammo for roughly 50 cents per round. Which will give them a lot of time to practice. The 7.62 has very little recoil in a bolt gun. Less then the 243 for sure. Lastly they most likely wont be shooting at distances over 200 yards. So no need for a bigger caliber. Howa also makes one, although I think it'll be a little heavy for a kid to carry. If they're just going to go sit in a stand where theres not a lot of walking. I think it would work well. I have seen both the Howa and CZ for sale on the Prophet River website. I think Firearms Outlet has the Howa as well.

Once they grow a bit plan on getting them a 308. I recommend Tikka in SS for that one. Then they won't ever need another gun. When they finally find an excuse to buy another gun the 25-06 is an absolute deer slaying cartridge.
Got a 527 for sale if anyone interested pm me.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:54 AM

If you can find or have a .30-.30 then start there. Great for anything out to 150 yards. A 7mm-08 is the ideal cart for all alberta hunting as well and Prophet river has some in youth and full size stock vanguards, (I have one and love it ) easy to shoot accurate as well. 7mm Mauser is a great low recoil round that shoots great also.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Appreciated. Didn't know you could get federal fusion ammo in that round. Nice!
No problem, can also get the Federal Blue box as well. I also wanted to let you know that based on the trajectory I think the Fusions were coming out closer to 2500fps. I havent chrono'd the round yet, so maybe once it warms up I'll see how fast they're running exactly.