Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-13-2022, 06:07 AM

Without sounding totally arrogant and egotistical, I am good enough to know if I have a lemon in my hands at the range or a gun that needs some altering or attention. I think most people that shoot enough can call a "flyer" without checking the target knowing they've done something wrong.

Whenever I'm testing a new rig, I always bring one of my best shooters just to let myself know its not me its the gun.........if that one doesn't shoot, time to pack up or take a break.. LOL
Old 01-13-2022, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Without sounding totally arrogant and egotistical, I am good enough to know if I have a lemon in my hands at the range or a gun that needs some altering or attention. I think most people that shoot enough can call a "flyer" without checking the target knowing they've done something wrong.

Whenever I'm testing a new rig, I always bring one of my best shooters just to let myself know its not me its the gun.........if that one doesn't shoot, time to pack up or take a break.. LOL
Good idea 👍
Old 01-13-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post

How many times have we seen this scenario play out, my blah blah blah model such and such shoots poorly. The usual scope, rings, mounts, action screw replies ensue. Followed by the check the bedding, clean the fouling type comments, it’s almost a predictable thread progression across the board. Somewhere in there is the obligatory try a different loading feedback.

Then at last is the let someone else shoot the rifle suggestions…… after that crickets!

Why……
Because it hurts the shooters ego to assume they are the issue, or as some of us say the nut behind the bolt, or the jerk behind the trigger.

On numerous occasions when I’m not feeling it or perhaps I’m a bit conflicted, or just plain getting weird results with a rifle, I’ll arrange to meet up with Bushrat for Sunday mass at the range and see what or how things play out for him.

We can all fall into a funk, or get the blight of some sorts, backing up and getting a second opinion on things isn’t a bad thing, sometimes it’s an issue with our own mind or the wax in our own ears, and the interactions with a shooting buddy is all that’s needed to rid the demon’s from within.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-13-2022, 08:53 AM

I have a 270, 7mm-08 and 338 WM all Browning A-Bolt I Medallions. The 270 and 7mm-08 shoot lites out.... The 338 WM can't ever achieve better than a 2.5" group at 100 yds... Because of the added recoil, I'm not 100% certain it's not the shooter's inability...

Guess I need a much better marksman to shoot it for me.... or, have someone knowledgeable to help me bed the action correctly... Dean, how far from Winnipeg are you?... I need help..
Old 01-13-2022, 01:24 PM

Default rifles

without a dout my rifles are way better then i am lol
Old 01-13-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomstick View Post
without a dout my rifles are way better then i am lol
Yeah...you and me both. Funny thing is, every time I've tried someone else's rifle when that person complains that it doesn't shoot well....I can "make it" shoot much better then the owner can.

Maybe I have a mysterious power.

btw...I love your user name!
Old 01-13-2022, 04:37 PM

Shooting pistol a lot will really expose weakness in your form, and it broadly will apply to any firearm. Some days, I am just ON and can shot one hole groups with my 627, or my X5, or even the P226. And some days I am all over the place. An extra cup of coffee in the morning can add 3" to a group on a bad day.

Point being, you learn pretty quick with pistols that it is very, very rarely an issue with the equipment. So, if my groups aren't great, I assume it's not the rifle, or the ammo, or the cross wind. Nope, it's me. And then I have to work on the fundamentals. Grip or cheek weld, breathing, trigger, sight picture.

All my guns shoot better then I do. Particularly if they have iron sights (pistols). All I need is for the young RSOs at my club to outshoot me with my gear, and I know that it's in large part due to my eyesight at 55.

That's life.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-13-2022, 05:34 PM

This is heard lots at our range
"Dang. This danged rifle ain't shootin' worth crap today!
"Wannna make it shoot better?"
"SURE!"
"Pass it over hear!"
Cat
Old 01-14-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Replacing worn out or damaged parts is a no-brainer. But, like all sports that require equipment to participate, rather than training and focusing on technique, many believe they can simply purchase a skill upgrade.
That's marketing.

OT- I like to believe I can shoot to my rifles full potential. Some days, I almost get there.
I agree, lots of trigger time to get a bit better. If your not grouping too good let your buddy shoot the rifle. Could be the load ?? ...not usually your rifle. But you can purchase equipment to help with a skill up-grade , like a good target scope instead of a POS. If you only fire a few rounds out of a hunting rifle it doesn't matter a whole bunch. If your trying to shoot 1/2 moa @1000 m that's another game.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:21 PM

I missed 2 out of 8 at 200 meters offhand today, and I can tell you for a fact the rifle will stack em' at 500 off the bench. Weren't the rifle.......
Cat
Old 01-14-2022, 07:27 PM

Like all people in this world, I was much better a few years ago then I am now. When shooting targets I’m good enough to still have fun. When shooting game I’m good enough to to put meat in the freezer. I know for a fact that a lot of my guns can now out perform me, but there was a time I felt I was better then them. Then again in my youth I was wrong about a lot of things, and blamed my equipment.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:44 PM

If I don’t shoot for awhile I get rusty pretty quick. It usually takes me a couple days to get back to my best. If I have a gun that is shooting groups 3/4” or larger it’s usually the gun or the load that’s the issue. If I have a gun that will shoot groups in the .3’s and then I shoot a .8 then I’m the problem.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:07 PM

Not sure I've ever come close to what the gun can do, some days, maybe on the days when I can do no wrong ( which ain't often), other days, I shouldn't have bothered. Some of that is very dependent on what I was asking of myself that day.