Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2022, 11:33 AM

Default Interesting thoughts

Why is it that as men generally we consider some rounds as good for kids or our wives and have no issue with them hunting with them but we are not confident in the round for ourselves? with regards to our kids we say they can grow into a larger round... if the round isn't capable for hunting for a "man" why is it capable for a lady, or a kid up until he is able "to grow into something bigger"?
Just something to ponder...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2022, 11:48 AM

Machoism
Ego’s
Lack of knowledge.

I lump the .243 Win. and the .410 bore shotgun in the same category. An experts firearm!
Both work on way more game than most can fathom, but you’d better have a fair amount of experience with shooting them to get those results.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-10-2022, 11:57 AM

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2022, 12:07 PM

I have been a believer in a smaller hole in the right spot is much better then a bigger hole in the wrong spot for along time

The only caliber I am completely opposed to owning for my self is the 6.5 creedmore and that is because my hair is too short for a man bun and a purse just looks awkward to haul out a deer with. I don’t think I need a bigger caliber though lol
Old 01-10-2022, 12:07 PM

Likely a perpetualized attitude from the days of using spears and bow & arrow. Hunting mags & shows have promoted magnumitis for decades as well. Think we are well aware you don't need a 500NE to kill elephants, and moose and bear are not armor plated, but, there is a higher risk level involved in using a small cartridge, and these days, we have some societal thingy called ethics about hunting, which it is very much in our nature, to want to test, when we see something we want.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:16 PM

With smaller shooters, especially new smaller shooterslight weight and recoil are more important, as the smaller shooter needs to be able to handle the firearm and the recoil. But the cartridge still needs to be adequate for the game it is used for. So for a new smaller shooter, I like one of the smaller capacity 6.5-7mm cartridges, with reduced recoil ammunition. As they get used to the recoil and their skills grow, they can transition to full power loads, which are suitable at the longer ranges they are now comfortable shooting. I am actually helping a friend get started into reloading, and he will be loading reduced loads for a 6.5CM, instead of the 243win that he was going to buy for his daughter originally.
For shotguns, a 20 gauge gas operated semi auto is a much better choice than a single shot 410, as recoil is still mild, and the odds of hitting moving targets is much better, so the new shooter won't get frustrated as easily.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:31 PM

What to me always get missed in lighter, lower recoil discussions is 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 300 Savage, 6.5x55, 32 Special, 30-30, 25-40 and a host of really effective rounds that have very low recoil while still producing great results on game. 95% of game is shot under 200 yards, by new hunters or experienced ones. A larger diameter bullet moving a little slower is no real handicap out to 250 yards. It isn't like the trajectory changes all that much and being under 8 lbs of recoil has very large benefits.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I have been a believer in a smaller hole in the right spot is much better then a bigger hole in the wrong spot for along time

l
How about a bigger hole in the right spot?
Old 01-10-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Old 01-10-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Dead seems to be dead if the hole is in the right spot. A bigger hole doesn’t seem to make them any deader
Old 01-10-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Why is it that as men generally we consider some rounds as good for kids or our wives and have no issue with them hunting with them but we are not confident in the round for ourselves? with regards to our kids we say they can grow into a larger round... if the round isn't capable for hunting for a "man" why is it capable for a lady, or a kid up until he is able "to grow into something bigger"?

haha......I shoot the cartridges that "men" recommend for women and children. I can't bring myself to wear pink shirts though

I use 25.06 and 7mm08 for everything in AB and I sold my magnums years ago.
Old 01-10-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Because they have no clue. They have never killed with them. Or they are considering their own marksmanship.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-10-2022, 01:34 PM

I was thinking of this in the youth thread.

You start them on a youth model in a suitable chambering.

They may very well buy a full size rifle in the future in the same chambering.

I know a big guy that has twice been bitten by a 7mm08. It’s more than enough gun for him!
Old 01-10-2022, 01:56 PM

I agree it’s strange how it’s a “good caliber for youth” but not good for me . As I have gotten old , more experience , I have moved to enjoy smaller calibers.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:08 PM

If I don't think its adequate for myself why in the world would I let my ,12year old use it???and if it is adequate for myself why do I refer to them as youth or wife calibers? I get smaller shorter rifles for younger smaller shooters.....

Old 01-10-2022, 02:24 PM

I went with smaller calibers when my boys were young and made sure their shots were as close as possible.
When they got older and more experienced they moved to larger calibers to reach out further if necessary.

Bull elk in the 300 yard range seems a bit much to ask of a .243
I’m sure others will have a different opinion though.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:43 PM

I love all guns. Have everything from pee shooters to shoulder mounted artillery. 17 to 70 caliber. The variety is what makes it so interesting. I think far too many under estimate what younger shooters can shoot well with a good fitting gun. By the time I was 12 I was shooting a 303 no problem and I was very accurate with it. I was In good shape and had been taught proper shooting form but i was far from a big kid. When I turned 14 I went to a LH Savage in 300WM. It was one of the very first commonly available lh guns and that was the cartridge that was available. It took no time at all to get used to that gun. Between 14 and 18 I wore out 2 of those and was working on my third when Remington brought out the 700 BDL in LH, and that was a much more refined gun than the early Savage 110 Cs, so switched to the 7 rem mag and shot that cartridge for many years, along with a raft of other ones. At 15 I was shooting skeet competitively In all 4 gauges. 100 rounds of 12 gauge was a normal day shoot.

Most young shooters react to the noise more than even the recoil. A set of ear plugs under the muffs helps with that a lot.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Dead seems to be dead if the hole is in the right spot. A bigger hole doesn’t seem to make them any deader
Wonder why there are African countries that require a minimum caliber? And the guys guiding for the big bears up in Alaska strongly suggesting minimum calibers of .375? These guys have seen a lot of big bears go down and far more experienced than most on here I'm guessing.

I get it, not everyone likes or can handle the "magnums". But why, time and again, does it need to be justified by questioning the use of anything but a .308 based cartridge because it does "just as good a job of killing" as a brass holding 30 more grains of powder.

My much younger brother killed his first whitetail with me when he was 14. Did it with a .300wby. Shot that thing lights out. Think he overkilled it. How silly
Old 01-10-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
I was thinking of this in the youth thread.

You start them on a youth model in a suitable chambering.

They may very well buy a full size rifle in the future in the same chambering.

I know a big guy that has twice been bitten by a 7mm08. It’s more than enough gun for him!
Somebody needs to set him down at the bench and teach him how to properly hold a firearm. Back to basics. Start with a .22
Old 01-10-2022, 04:12 PM

Default Hole size

Quote:
Correct BUT for me when it comes to Animals that want to eat you no such thing as Too dead and always opt for more power.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Wonder why there are African countries that require a minimum caliber? And the guys guiding for the big bears up in Alaska strongly suggesting minimum calibers of .375? These guys have seen a lot of big bears go down and far more experienced than most on here I'm guessing.

I get it, not everyone likes or can handle the "magnums". But why, time and again, does it need to be justified by questioning the use of anything but a .308 based cartridge because it does "just as good a job of killing" as a brass holding 30 more grains of powder.

My much younger brother killed his first whitetail with me when he was 14. Did it with a .300wby. Shot that thing lights out. Think he overkilled it. How silly
This has been beaten to death and personally don’t care if a guy shoots a magnum or not as long as he can do it accurately

I have seen plenty of different calibers used on “ hard to kill game and scary bears” and in the end the factor has always been if the guy was good with his rifle

Anytime I was brought out to track a grizzly or black dear someone hit and could not find I did not give a crap what caliber he was shooting but I sure asked every question possible to try to figure out where it was hit.

Shoot what you want and justify it how you please as long as you can hit where you are aiming is the main thing. But sorry my opinion comes from experience and won’t change

Dead is dead you can’t make it deader

Last edited by Smoky buck; 01-10-2022 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acumark View Post
Correct BUT for me when it comes to Animals that want to eat you no such thing as Too dead and always opt for more power.
As long as you shoot it accurately giver
Old 01-10-2022, 05:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Funny after many years later the same fella who was of that mindset has settled on a 7-08.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-10-2022, 05:31 PM

I think Dean made an important point - when recoil tolerance is a consideration, the way a gun fits someone is paramount.

I know if I shoulder a 270 in a Tikka T3 she sharply bites me a heck of lot worse compared to shooting my 300 Win Mag .... I know it's hard to believe .... but I can absolutely feel it. I have to believe it's the way each stock fits me. Same is true of youth hunters and women I think.

Saw an interesting article on Weatherby Camilla and the way many women seem to really like this rifle because of fit and seem to tolerate much larger recoil with this set up. I can totally see that. Makes sense to me.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:

If I were speaking with an outfitter about booking a hunt for one of the big bears and they began to recommend .375 as a minimum, I’d likely start speaking with different outfitters.

Phil Shoemaker seems to have no problem telling clients to bring a .30-06.

Bullets are different (better) than when some African countries instituted minimum requirements. Additionally, bureaucrats make those rules, not people with experience killing animals with bullets fired from a rifle.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
If I were speaking with an outfitter about booking a hunt for one of the big bears and they began to recommend .375 as a minimum, I’d likely start speaking with different outfitters.

Bullets are different (better) than when some African countries instituted minimum requirements. Additionally, bureaucrats make those rules, not people with experience killing animals with bullets fired from a rifle.
I can assure you that if your bringing a 30/06. Your guide is bringing a 416.
You may get the first shot, but they will be shooting right after you
Old 01-10-2022, 08:52 PM

Most people who shot bigger calibers to make up for small . Can't figure out why whenever they shoot at a big game animals heart, they usually hit it in the .

Aim small, miss small. lighter recoiling rifles are easier to do this, more consistently.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:59 PM
Banned

Basically it comes down to what your limits are?
Do you want to be limited by your skills or your rifle?
Sure a 30/30 can kill animals. But not very well past like 150 yards
A smaller caliber like a 6.5 creedmoor allows people to build their skills and confidence with out the downside of a larger recoil
If I can shoot a .5” group with a 6.5 creedmoor and a .5” group with my 6.5 Sherman short mag. Short mag is coming with me every time
More velocity, less variables, higher chance of a responsible shot
Old 01-10-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post

As mentioned, someone will be backing you up....luckily.
Guessing those recommending something bigger are FAR more experienced than you. If that's all the recoil you can handle though, it is what it is.
I'll side with the experience, not an opinion
Old 01-10-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:
This has been beaten to death and personally don’t care if a guy shoots a magnum or not as long as he can do it accurately

I have seen plenty of different calibers used on “ hard to kill game and scary bears” and in the end the factor has always been if the guy was good with his rifle

Anytime I was brought out to track a grizzly or black dear someone hit and could not find I did not give a crap what caliber he was shooting but I sure asked every question possible to try to figure out where it was hit.

Shoot what you want and justify it how you please as long as you can hit where you are aiming is the main thing. But sorry my opinion comes from experience and won’t change

Dead is dead you can’t make it deader
We all have our capabilities and they should be stuck with