Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2022, 05:00 AM

Default Uberti 1885 Falling block

Saw one of these in 45-70 at local store. Any body have any experience with these reproductions? Are they a good quality action? Seemed pretty nice to me.
I did think it was pretty front heavy with the long octagon barrel.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:03 AM

I recently replaced a firing pin in one for client . It appears to be fairly well made.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryimmers View Post
Saw one of these in 45-70 at local store. Any body have any experience with these reproductions? Are they a good quality action? Seemed pretty nice to me.
I did think it was pretty front heavy with the long octagon barrel.
Rifleshootermag has a couple reviews of the Uberti in the long barrel and carbine versions. Both are quite positive...
Old 01-12-2022, 07:15 AM

I owned a Higwhall in 45/700 and one in 40/65, and a friend has a really nice long range rifle in 45/70.
They are well built rifles and accurate.
No,, they are not an MVA, C Sharps or an original Winchester, but they are capable of shooting just as well.
But what do I know, II shoot Savage rifles as well.
Cat
Old 01-12-2022, 12:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFwyj864_I
Old 01-12-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta View Post
WAITAMINIT??!! YOU had this commissioned by Uberti??
I was not aware of that!
However, to buy one II would have to run into a REALLY good deal, I'm a senior on a fixed income dontchaknow!!
Cat
Old 01-12-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
WAITAMINIT??!! YOU had this commissioned by Uberti??
I was not aware of that!
However, to buy one II would have to run into a REALLY good deal, I'm a senior on a fixed income dontchaknow!!
Cat

https://store.prophetriver.com/ubert...30-s-n-s13814/
Old 01-12-2022, 08:22 PM

Haven't had any experience with Uberti. I do have a Current production Winchester 1885. Fun rifle to shoot. Italian version gets good reviews. Check out Pedersoli , Marstar is a importer with good pricing as well. I believe they are basically same product.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Don't forget the CSSA has one up on a raffle;

https://store.cssa-cila.org/shop/css...talking-rifle/
Old 01-13-2022, 03:41 AM

Quote:
This guy is great!! I agree 100%, rifles, especially ones like that, really should have irons on them. Making it law would be fine with me.
There is a Winchester 1885 in 6.5x55 Swede online I really would be interested in, but it has no irons.
That one in the video looks like a really nice gun.

Last edited by mryimmers; 01-13-2022 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:45 AM

Quote:
That's really nice!!
Old 01-13-2022, 07:10 AM

I have a Pedersoli 1874 and am happy with the quality. If I compare it to my Winchester 1885 it might not be quite as good but very close I think. I think the Italian reproduction overall are well made and I’d by another with no problem.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I have a Pedersoli 1874 and am happy with the quality. If I compare it to my Winchester 1885 it might not be quite as good but very close I think. I think the Italian reproduction overall are well made and I’d by another with no problem.
It's no secret that I am a confirmed falling block looney esoecially when it comes to hunting rifles , i have owned probably a 100 of different types or more over the years There are three very big differences between the highwall style rifles and the Sharps styles

The first is the huge hammer on the Sharps, it is much easier to use. But the lock time us also slower.
The second is weight, the Sharps are heavier actions.
The MOST IMPORTANT however, is if using black powder especially , for cleaning .
the Sharps can come apart in seconds with the removal of one pin. Take that cross pin out and the whole internals drop into your hand.
You cannot do that with a Highwall, and many of them no longer have flat springs but twin coils and they can be a bear to work on if one is familiar with them.
That being said, the Uberti in .303 is a gorgeous rifle and I would buy one in a heartbeat if I were looking for another big game rifle
Cat
Old 01-13-2022, 10:09 AM

I agree on that Uberti, since reading this thread the morning I have had the PR web site up on that gun all morning and I’m trying to talk myself out of it. I was dumb and missed out on the Ruger 303 when they came in and since then wanted a falling block in that caliber. But I also have many hunting guns.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I agree on that Uberti, since reading this thread the morning I have had the PR web site up on that gun all morning and I’m trying to talk myself out of it. I was dumb and missed out on the Ruger 303 when they came in and since then wanted a falling block in that caliber. But I also have many hunting guns.
I can sympathize completely, as I have ( as far as I am concerned anyway) the Ruger in .303 that all others are measured against and I still want to drop the hammer on old if those Uberti's!
Cat
Old 01-13-2022, 10:40 AM

To be a bit long winded on this, I also bought a Ruger No.1 in 275 Rigby a few years ago so I’m not without a falling block in and around the 303. It certainly doesn’t have the nice wood like yours and others but I love the gun and the caliber. Hope I’m not derailed your post OP.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
To be a bit long winded on this, I also bought a Ruger No.1 in 275 Rigby a few years ago so I’m not without a falling block in and around the 303. It certainly doesn’t have the nice wood like yours and others but I love the gun and the caliber. Hope I’m not derailed your post OP.
derailed? heck that is not even 1/2 MOA of wind as far as some derails and drifts go on these threads! LOL
I looked at several in 6.5X55, 257Bob and 275 Rigby, butt then I pick up miine in 303 and remember why I don't keep any others too long!
Cat
Old 01-13-2022, 10:53 AM

Thanks Cat, enjoyed the conversation on this. I don’t post a lot on here but when your name and a few others come up, I pay attention.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
So, you did it?
Old 01-13-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
So, you did it?
Yes, enquiring minds want to know!
Cat
Old 01-13-2022, 06:54 PM

Not yet, but I notice there was 2 now only one, so I better talk myself into it PDQ. I’m a bit of a western/cowboy gun nut and I had my eye on a 1866 that I want for my collection so .
Old 01-13-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Not yet, but I notice there was 2 now only one, so I better talk myself into it PDQ. I’m a bit of a western/cowboy gun nut and I had my eye on a 1866 that I want for my collection so .
The one in the link is sold, so, a dead link now. Here is the other:
https://store.prophetriver.com/ubert...30-s-n-s13831/
Old 01-14-2022, 07:05 AM

The Ubertis are well made guns. I have a replica of the Remington rolling block in 22 Hornet made by Uberti. It will shoot 1/2" no problem. Lots of fun to wack gophers with out to about 300 yards. You will be happy with the 1885, if not they do resell VERY easily.

Old 01-14-2022, 07:58 AM

That roller is nice Dean, but for me what caught my eye is fgae Unertl Programner sitting on top of it!
Love those old RTB scopes!
Cat
Old 01-15-2022, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the replies here guys!!! It's been very helpful.
I gotta say I sure like that Uberti 303.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:56 PM

I have one and I like it. I’ve got it shooting 520 grain bullets with black powder fairly accurately at 300 meters.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:14 PM

New to this site, so firstly saying hello with my first post.

Anyway, just bought an Uberti High Wall 1885 from PR in 45/70 pistol grip and 32" bbl. Had it out twice plinkin' and like it so far. Ordered a Pedersoli LR tang which apparently fits and hope to get into some LR shooting soon.

So hiya, and hope to learn lots here

FB
Old 01-18-2022, 03:30 PM

Hi and welcome to the site, lots of great folks, info and knowledge here, enjoy!!

I've been eyeing up some kind of falling block myself.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Hi and welcome to the site, lots of great folks, info and knowledge here, enjoy!!

I've been eyeing up some kind of falling block myself.
Hi...

Some of the questions I've had to answer since purchasing this beautiful piece are:

- Finding a rod(s) that will fit into the butt stock compartment and do the job
- Finding the right tang sight for this gun that preferably fits existing holes. Same with a front globe sight apparatus
- Finding another club here in BC where I can shoot long range. Currently a member of a 300 yard range.
- Deciding whether or not I want to take the bp plunge. Factory smokeless in 45/70 is expensive!
- Also, will be looking to try match type competitions at some point down the road

FB
Old 01-18-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingblk View Post
New to this site, so firstly saying hello with my first post.

Anyway, just bought an Uberti High Wall 1885 from PR in 45/70 pistol grip and 32" bbl. Had it out twice plinkin' and like it so far. Ordered a Pedersoli LR tang which apparently fits and hope to get into some LR shooting soon.

So hiya, and hope to learn lots here

FB
Howdy! Where are you located?
Cat