Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2022, 10:15 AM

Default Tikka T3 Ejection Issue

Hello All

My Tikka T3 in 223 Rem has developed an extraction/ejection issue. Seems about 50-60% of the rounds will not eject and only be partly pulled from the chamber. When I look at the extractor it seems it is barely catching the rim/extractor groove and maybe letting go of the brass before it gets to the ejection stage thus leaving the spent brass in the action. I have cleaned the extractor and the ejector seems to be free moving so I am a bit stumped.

Curious if anyone has had similar issues and what was done to resolve it? Also if anyone could recommend the best place or person to have a Tikka serviced, after coyote season of course

Very much appreciated
Thanks

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 01-12-2022, 10:55 AM
Banned

i've got two of them but haave never had a problem. sorry.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:09 AM
Banned

I had this problem on one of my Tikka's (6.5x55) with Lapua brass, reloaded many times. Got new batch of brass, now it works well.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:16 AM

Sounds like the extractor needs to be taken off and cleaned as well as the bolt where it sits.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-12-2022, 11:59 AM

Developed? I'm assuming this was never an issue in the past with the same brass then. I had a cooper that needed warranty work right out of the gate, but if you switched brass, then that could be part of the problem. It should handle all quality brass with 100% reliability.

Were you shooting any 5.56 in there with a little extra steam?

I found this on accurate shooter, not a t3 but still the same design.

"I ran a 595 XTC for several years, having it load and eject anything I feed it. However, after a barrel change I started to have some problems with it ejecting, causing a few alibis in rapid strings. I replaced the ejector spring with several different lengths and compressions, did find a size that worked, some of the time. A friend took a look and found that Lapua worked best, as its head diameter is wider than WW, LC, etc.

Not fully satisfied, I turned to the extractor, a Sako design, and wondered although it extracted ok, if the claw had a deep and firm hold on the case. Pulling the bolt back it would just flop back into the well. I took the extractor out, stretched the spring a bit by working a flat blade screwdriver between the coils, and then using a Dremel with a cut off wheel, lightly increased the depth of the claw on the extractor.

IT WORKED, any case now flips out easily and consistently."

Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:19 PM

And the little dremel fixes everything
Best $100 bucks I've ever spent.

-Reza
Old 01-12-2022, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I appreciate that!

I am using Hornady brass in batches of 100, have about ten batches that range from 1F to 4F and have the same results with each batch. I will be trying some 1F RP brass this weekend so I will see how they work. Also have some factory rounds to try.

I got the rifle second hand quite a few years ago and this problem may have been there from the start but it was a rare occurrence, so much so I really didn't notice. The problem has certainly got worse & that's why I say developed. No 5.56 were used and my reloads have shown no pressure issues. I keep my rifles clean but I will remove the extractor for a thorough cleaning.

So I have a few things to try before the dremel comes out...

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 01-12-2022, 08:40 PM

Sometimes the ejection plunger in the bolt face can cause what your describing. If it is stuck back flush on the bolt face the extractor will drop the case as soon as it becomes unsupported by the chamber walls as it is withdrawn from the chamber. Press the plunger down with your fingernail, should take a bit of pressure to depress it and it should spring back easily to proper position. If not clean it or change the spring if the spring is weak or broke. The plunger keeps pressure on the base of the case forcing it against the hook on the extractor until the case clears the chamber and ejects.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Sounds like the extractor needs to be taken off and cleaned as well as the bolt where it sits.
This ^^^
My 30-06 is currently sitting gummed up and doing exactly what you describe, but more so in the colder temps. Compared the spring back to the extractor on the Tikka 6.5x55 and it became obvious.

Local gunsmith video to show you the simple design:
https://youtu.be/F6Hebk1lqqA
Old 01-17-2022, 07:16 PM

So I did a cleaning of the bolt without removing anything, I used some brakeclean spray and wiped down the bolt and used some q-tips for the nooks & crannies. I didn't lube anything, left it dry as I always do. I did some unsuccessful coyote hunting on the past weekend but I did shoot a small bush at 300 yards, only 1 of my 4 rounds ejected was the bad news. The good news, the bush was dead! Interesting to me was I cycled 4 unfired rounds through the action and all 4 ejected.
Tonight I removed the parts I could from the bolt. Removed and cleaned the firing pin/spring. Also removed the ejector pin & spring which had a bit of crud but not much. I couldn't remove the extractor claw assembly but gave it a thorough spray with brakeclean and a bit of compressed air, again I left it dry. It's reassembled and hopefully I can test on the weekend.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:39 PM

I got this off of the internet. Savage has the same system and I have done both the Savage and Tikka. As the guy says watch out for the spring and ball or small plunger I don't remember which it was. He has a good idea of doing it inside the bag. Taking the claw off and cleaning everything well fixed both my Tikka and Savage.

Get a little screwdriver (electronics/fine machine type) or a mechancis pick set and a gallon ziploc bag. Hold the bolt in a bench vise, put the bag over the bolt, use your little screwdriver and push the little detent pin down while gently tipping back/outward on the extractor. Takes a little finagaling, but you'll get it. Make sure you use the baggie or you'll be buying parts. The little detent pin will fly unless you capture it some how.

No, you wont bugger it up unless your a complete bonehead with absolutley no mechanical common sense.. Chances are you'll lose the pin or spring way before you ever bend or wreck anything..

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-17-2022, 07:47 PM

Disassemble extractor = welcome to the world of searching for launched parts 😁
Old 01-17-2022, 07:53 PM

If or when you launch the extractor spring and plunger across the room you can order this kit from CoreTac Solutions...consider it an expensive lesson learned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-23-2022, 06:43 PM
Banned

..........you cursed me teledogs!!!

went out this morning and my .250 isn't (wasn't) ejecting properly.

went to you tube (ya gotta be careful about what they say on there) and there are a couple videos that show how to take the bolt on the t3 apart. followed their instructions, cleaned the bolt out INSIDE, and bob's ur uncle.

i have to admit, it wasn't quite as simple as what they said it would be, but after i mastered the combination, no problem (i did it over four times to make sure i had it right)......smart guys will probably figure it out right away, but.....

anyway, go to good ole you tube and let us know when you have your rifle ejecting as good as new (oh boy, you never know where that phrase is going to take us)
Old 01-27-2022, 08:23 AM

I take no responsibility SSH!

I have been doing one thing at a time so I know what was wrong once it is fixed. I cleaned the firing pin and bolt body with no improvement. I was not expecting any doing this.
Removed the ejection pin and spring and cleaned, no fix doing this. This weekend I will remove the extractor claw & clean, thanks for the tips Piker! If this does not work I will try replacing the extractor/ ejector parts that Brewster29 posted! Thank you Brewster for that!
I ran some more ammo through the action and had a 100% ejection rate before firing, after firing that dropped to about 50%.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:12 AM

I suspect you will find some crud between the flat inside part of the extractor and the milled slot in the bolt head.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I suspect you will find some crud between the flat inside part of the extractor and the milled slot in the bolt head.

I am really hoping so!!

Old 01-27-2022, 01:51 PM

If it helps here’s a pic of how the extractor on my Tikka 223 sits…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A464E356-DF1E-4A6F-8F33-0ED3CD60A844.jpg (26.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 01-27-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
I had this problem on one of my Tikka's (6.5x55) with Lapua brass, reloaded many times. Got new batch of brass, now it works well.
I had exactly the same problem on my Tikka 30-06 when was using brass once fired from another 30-06 Parker Hale even when it was full sized.
New brass works just fine.

S12
Old 01-31-2022, 08:55 PM

Well I finally got the extractor claw off and did a cleaning, can't say there was any crud there to restrict movement. I just got to it tonight and I won't be able to test until the weekend. Looks like the claw is sitting the same as Brewster29's pic. ( Thanks for the pic!) If the problem persists my next step will be to replace the parts.
I am amazed with my fat fingers that no parts were lost!

Old 02-01-2022, 04:05 PM

I was thinking of just ordering a new extractor/ejector kit in case my thorough cleaning of the extractor and ejector did not fix the problem.
Would you buy an OEM kit or an aftermarket one? These are the 2 options I am considering:

1. https://www.stoegercanada.ca/product...r-ejector-kit/

& 2. https://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_LA_EEK.htm

Prices are basically the same delivered.

Thoughts? Is there something else I should be thinking about to fix my problem?

Old 02-01-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Sako and Tikka are know for this problem, just remove the extractor inspect it for wear, clean out the "sticky" grease, lightly oil, wipe off the oil and re install
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I was thinking of just ordering a new extractor/ejector kit in case my thorough cleaning of the extractor and ejector did not fix the problem.
Would you buy an OEM kit or an aftermarket one? These are the 2 options I am considering:

1. https://www.stoegercanada.ca/product...r-ejector-kit/

& 2. https://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_LA_EEK.htm

Prices are basically the same delivered.

Thoughts? Is there something else I should be thinking about to fix my problem?
now that you have stripped the extractor from the bolt, give the extractor spring a little bit of a stretch and put it back together again and test it.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
now that you have stripped the extractor from the bolt, give the extractor spring a little bit of a stretch and put it back together again and test it.
Now that I have everything clean I will test it as is and if that does not work I will try stretching the springs a bit. And if that does not work it will be replacing all parts. I have a feeling it is a worn extractor.

Thank you!

Old 02-02-2022, 02:13 PM

Stretching the spring will not work for the long haul. Springs have a memory that’s why they are a spring.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Stretching the spring will not work for the long haul. Springs have a memory that’s why they are a spring.
Thanks FPS! I was going to test before I touched the springs and would only stretch the springs as a temporary measure to see if I had a weak spring then they would be replaced.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:37 AM

Well?

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-10-2022, 08:07 AM

Sorry Piker! I have been dealing with a painful new hernia so I have not been able to get out and test. So fun getting older! I am not in as much pain today so I am hoping I can get to it this weekend.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Sorry Piker! I have been dealing with a painful new hernia so I have not been able to get out and test. So fun getting older! I am not in as much pain today so I am hoping I can get to it this weekend.
Sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-10-2022, 10:20 AM

Sorry to hear of your pain .

I have pain as well , it’s listening to our liberal govt !